Games of the Carlsen-Karjakin W.C.C. Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Games of the Carlsen-Karjakin W.C.C. Match

Another amazing game in which Magnus grabbed the opportunity of a weak move by Sergey to apply relentless pressure but in the end could not find the coup de grace. Another draw in over 70 moves and now the players go to a well-earned rest. Magnus is secure in the knowledge that he has never been in the slightest danger of losing a game. Sergey, in the knowledge that he has successfully fought off the most relentless attacker in the game not once but twice. It should be a great contest.

Comment

BTW I enjoy Hansen and Svidler but a lot of their analysis is pure fantasy. At one point they seriously considered a line resulting in mate in two. On the official website, Judit is more reserved but also more accurate in her analysis. Nice to have some choices. Kudos to Eric.

Comment

November 15, 2016

Game Four

Nigel Short is mentioned several times since he is watching the match and tweeting away. I rather like this one:

- Thanks to all my followers! Now up to 20K although I will only be truly happy when I can fill Lords Cricket Ground (cap. 28,000) :)

- Strangely, the tactical 16...c5!? is also possible for Magnus. But I prefer to drink some wine and let these guys suffer

- 18.Bxh6 is the more chaotic option. 18.Ng4 was sensible, but less sexy :)

- Quite frankly, this is just very poor play by Sergey. It is easy to sit here & criticise, but it is true

- I am guessing that yesterday's near-death experience for Sergey took more out of him than we realized
        _________

You can follow the course of the game through the wealth of tweets and comments from others coming in:

Svidler after Bxc4: "I really don't understand this."

Hansen: "This is horrible. Shocking. Significantly better for black"

(Robert Ris) - Karjakin's 19.Bxc4 is a clear sign that Magnus is the huge favorite to win the match! What a terrible positional mistake

(Fabiano Caruana) - The bishop pair, the center and the terminally weak b2-pawn. This is bad news for Sergey.

(Jonathan Tisdall) - Of course there's no reason to get hysterical here. This is still within Karjakin's defensive suffering range

(Pavel Eljanov) - Can't understand some experts who claiming that Magnus is out of form. He is slow starter but playing better now than in Chennai and Sochi

(Nigel Short) – The worst thing about Sergey’s position is that it is exactly the sort of situation Magnus loves, in total control

(Jonathan Tisdall) – Hammer, I believe, has called Karjakin’s position ‘the saddest one for White in a title match in ten years’

(Tarjel J. Svensen) – Hammer: The only thing White can try to do here, is to try to survive.
        _________

- praggnanandhaa is better than Carlsen
        - Only 1975 Karpov can challenge Magnus positional understanding of chess right now
        - Peter is the least russian russian I know
        - What would make Peter more Russian?
        - If, after yesterday, Karjakin also escapes from this, he will make Houdini look like a bloody amateur.
        - guys, we want to make you laugh, so we will not stop with toblerone + James Bond comments until you do so
        - peter needs Jan or Lawrence to drag him away from the analysis occasionally
        - Yeeeah, Bb6 played!
        - tell them not to make a move... I have to take a leak
        - Time to make myself a coffee before I start staring at the ceiling like Eric does during long thinking pauses
        - 6.40 am here in Vietnam. Think faster guys I need some sleep
        - magnus is on fire today, I hope we will see blood
        - Magnus keeps punching Sergey but he wont fall down.
        - Was Peter clean-shaven when the stream began?
        - Peter's beard is growing with the game
        - The little Karjakin that could
        - this is a beautiful fortress
        - i think it's officially a fortress
        - Stockfish doesn't understand fortressess, this is still a draw

[At this point, the game is five and a half hours old and at move 61. Stockfish gives Black an evaluation of 2.24 and everyone is afraid it is going to another draw! Peter says he is totally baffled. Carlsen plays 61.Bd3 almost ensuring the draw. Then Karjakin plays 62.Nh3 and Black is much better again.]

- Hey, if the Russians could handle a 1500km wide front with 4 million German soldiers attacking, they can defend anything!

- I hope they play until move 100 so I get two more hours of reading chessbomb trolling and adult men moaning about how it's a draw, yet continue watching

- Eric, I am a Canadian from Winnipeg Manitoba. Have you ever played our best player, Kevin (Jingtian) Li?

[73..Bf4 was another blunder]

The game is drawn.

Mark Crowther summarizes at TWIC:

Magnus Carlsen outplayed Sergey Karjakin with black and again achieved a winning position before failing to convert this advantage to a win in game 4 of the World Chess Championship in New York. This followed Karjakin's save in drawing the previous game.

There was a classical Ruy Lopez and Karjakin's 14.Ng3 was a novelty. 19.Bxc4 was a serious error from Karjakin leaving him under serious pressure. Carlsen kept fine control until 45...f4?! which left him with a stable advantage but one not sufficient for a win. Carlsen's first comment after the game was that he thought this won by force. 45...Be6 or 45...gxf4 should have led to a decisive advantage.

Carlsen tried for a long time after this but Karjakin held the fortress and the game was drawn in 94 moves.

It's hard to say who has the psychological advantage. Carlsen who failed to win two games in a row where he should have or Sergey Karjakin who managed to save these positions.

Standings after game 4 Carlsen 2 Karjakin 2.

Rest day Wednesday 16th November 2016.

http://theweekinchess.com

World Championship 2016
        New York City
        Game 4, Nov. 15
        Karjakin, Sergey – Carlsen, Magnus
        C88 Ruy Lopez, Closed

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 O-O 8.h3 Bb7 9.d3 d6 10.a3 Qd7 11.Nbd2 Rfe8 12.c3 Bf8 13.Nf1 h6 14.N3h2 d5 15.Qf3 Na5 16.Ba2 dxe4 17.dxe4 Nc4 18.Bxh6 Qc6 19.Bxc4 bxc4 20.Be3 Nxe4 21.Ng3 Nd6 22.Rad1 Rab8 23.Bc1 f6 24.Qxc6 Bxc6 25.Ng4 Rb5 26.f3 f5 27.Nf2 Be7 28.f4 Bh4 29.fxe5 Bxg3 30.exd6 Rxe1+ 31.Rxe1 cxd6 32.Rd1 Kf7 33.Rd4 Re5 34.Kf1 Rd5 35.Rxd5 Bxd5 36.Bg5 Kg6 37.h4 Kh5 38.Nh3 Bf7 39.Be7 Bxh4 40.Bxd6 Bd8 41.Ke2 g5 42.Nf2 Kg6 43.g4 Bb6 44.Be5 a5 45.Nd1 f4 46.Bd4 Bc7 47.Nf2 Be6 48.Kf3 Bd5+ 49.Ke2 Bg2 50.Kd2 Kf7 51.Kc2 Bd5 52.Kd2 Bd8 53.Kc2 Ke6 54.Kd2 Kd7 55.Kc2 Kc6 56.Kd2 Kb5 57.Kc1 Ka4 58.Kc2 Bf7 59.Kc1 Bg6 60.Kd2 Kb3 61.Kc1 Bd3 62.Nh3 Ka2 63.Bc5 Be2 64.Nf2 Bf3 65.Kc2 Bc6 66.Bd4 Bd7 67.Bc5 Bc7 68.Bd4 Be6 69.Bc5 f3 70.Be3 Bd7 71.Kc1 Bc8 72.Kc2 Bd7 73.Kc1 Bf4 74.Bxf4 gxf4 75.Kc2 Be6 76.Kc1 Bc8 77.Kc2 Be6 78.Kc1 Kb3 79.Kb1 Ka4 80.Kc2 Kb5 81.Kd2 Kc6 82.Ke1 Kd5 83.Kf1 Ke5 84.Kg1 Kf6 85.Ne4+ Kg6 86.Kf2 Bxg4 87.Nd2 Be6 88.Kxf3 Kf5 89.a4 Bd5+ 90.Kf2 Kg4 91.Nf1 Kg5 92.Nd2 Kf5 93.Ke2 Kg4 94.Kf2 1/2-1/2

Comment

November 17, 2016

Game Five

Peter Svidler and Eric Hansen are on board as usual.

Following the online chat comments gives you some idea as how the game is going:

- I paid for the official coverage and going back and forth between this site and the official site as the analysis is far superior on this site.

- The engine saying its equal but its pretty sharp and complicated and there’s not that much time for remaining moves

- so many experts here in chat, why we need peter and eric?

- Svidler has perfect command of the English language. It's a pleasure to listen to him speak.

- Karjakin stepping on the brake again. as usual

- just because it's level doesn't mean it's drawn. You guys would be better off reading a chess book than posting silly comments here

- warum schreiben plötzlich alle Englisch. Ist Trump hier?

- uh no he does not speak english better than most people - he probably has the vocabulary of a 16 year old at best.

- Next to reading the Bhagavid Gita this match has brought me great happiness

- judith polgar does not commentate anymore on official stream, only some idiots there now, better to listen to Svidler now

(Nigel Short) - Whatever the engines say, I think Sergey will psychologically be happy to draw this one & move on to his white

(Nigel Short) - Fascinating! Sergey has buggered his queenside pawn formation again!

(Nigel Short) - Magnus has a free shot at goal again. Passive play by the Russian

- As Ben Finegold would say, Black is only margarinely butter here.

-in soviet russia you fight bear at 12 and become man if you live

[At move 46 the chess engine evaluates the position as -0.08]

- Stockfish 8 shows 0.00 in top 5 lines

- My toaster says this is heading for a draw

- Qc7 with check looks good to me, but what do I know?

- Sergey has been thinking over 8 minutes

- This World Chess Championship contest so far really reminds me of the book "The Royal Game" by Stephan Zweig- A chess prodigy is beaten by slowly wearing him down and playing slowly..

- Magnus has about 30 minutes, Sergei approaching 16 minutes

- WC will probably stay boring through the Giri era as well. I'm waiting for Wei Yi - Pragnanananananda 2034

- cant wait to see game Monday LIVE..i remember watching Fisher-Spassky on public TV with Shelby Lyman

-Peter any other books you recommend besides the hitchhikers guide?

- Commentators missed a spectacular win for Karjakin

After 44. Kg3 the line goes Rh8 Rh2 Rf8 Rf2?? Qb1!! and checkmate to follow. White is in Zugzwang and cant move.

- hands have been shaken

- ok game over, draw

- After a very shaky series of moves around first time control Carlsen starting to play the optimal moves again.

[Peter says that there was a time near the first time control when Sergey had real chances. Jan Gustafsson returns Sunday to commentate with Peter]

World Chess Championship
          New York City
          Game Five, Nov. 17, 2016
          Carlsen, Magnus – Karjakin, Sergey
          C50 Giuoco Piano

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.O-O Nf6 5.d3 O-O 6.a4 d6 7.c3 a6 8.b4 Ba7 9.Re1 Ne7 10.Nbd2 Ng6 11.d4 c6 12.h3 exd4 13.cxd4 Nxe4 14.Bxf7+ Rxf7 15.Nxe4 d5 16.Nc5 h6 17.Ra3 Bf5 18.Ne5 Nxe5 19.dxe5 Qh4 20.Rf3 Bxc5 21.bxc5 Re8 22.Rf4 Qe7 23.Qd4 Ref8 24.Rf3 Be4 25.Rxf7 Qxf7 26.f3 Bf5 27.Kh2 Be6 28.Re2 Qg6 29.Be3 Rf7 30.Rf2 Qb1 31.Rb2 Qf5 32.a5 Kf8 33.Qc3 Ke8 34.Rb4 g5 35.Rb2 Kd8 36.Rf2 Kc8 37.Qd4 Qg6 38.g4 h5 39.Qd2 Rg7 40.Kg3 Rg8 41.Kg2 hxg4 42.hxg4 d4 43.Qxd4 Bd5 44.e6 Qxe6 45.Kg3 Qe7 46.Rh2 Qf7 47.f4 gxf4+ 48.Qxf4 Qe7 49.Rh5 Rf8 50.Rh7 Rxf4 51.Rxe7 Re4 1/2-1/2

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

- Commentators missed a spectacular win for Karjakin

After 44. Kg3 the line goes Rh8 Rh2 Rf8 Rf2?? Qb1!! and checkmate to follow. White is in Zugzwang and cant move.
            I dunno, after 45. Kg3 (not 44), 45 ...Rh8 has the significant downside of 46.QxR+

Comment

November 18, 2016

Game Six

Loek van Wely and Eric Hansen are the commentators.

A relatively uneventful draw and the standing still remains equal (3-3).

I had a bit of a scare. I turned away from the broadcast for a few minutes and when I came back the screen was frozen and the computer evaluation was 8.2 for White. Carlsen was going to be mated in less than 25 moves.

I checked the official site and chessbomb and there was nothing out of the ordinary there so what must have happened was the transmission froze during a piece of favorable analysis for Karjakin!

Tomorrow is a rest day. Eric says that this was a marvelous opportunity to comment with the eyes of the world on him but he is going back to Canada.
              ________

Magnus said that in Game Five he had lost track of one move and when he played what he thought was his 39th move, he got extra time and couldn’t think why this was. Actually, it was because he had made his 40th move. He decided to make one more move and go to the washroom. He played 41.Kg2 which was a giant mistake but Karjakin did not take full advantage of it.

[41.Kg2 hxg4 42.hxg4 d4! 43.Qxd4 Bd5? 44.e6!]

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/car...gnus-screws-up

https://www.nrk.no/sport/carlsen-gjo...ekk-1.13233362

Carlsen had thus reached move 40 without knowing it, for he had just written up 39 moves.
              It confused him violently, directly under the party because he did not understand why on earth he suddenly got so much time.
              The video images showed that he was staring at the scoresheet as he pondered his way to what had happened.

And it was then, with all the concentration on the paper sheet and the move order, he made an absolutely lousy move. A move that should have cost him the game

- I just thought that I should make a move for safekeeping and go to the bathroom. And then there was the move a giant mistake.

- It was just luck that I didn't lose because of this

Magnus Carlsen escaped without loss when Sergey Karjakin made an imprecise move.

Finally, after much rumination, Carlsen managed to determine which move he had forgotten to write up, but he had lost his concentration, and a completely harmless position had suddenly become dangerous.
              _________

World Championship 2016
              New York City
              Game 6, Nov. 18, 2016
              C88 Ruy Lopez, Closed (8.h3)

[1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 O-O 8.h3 Bb7 9.d3 d5 10.exd5 Nxd5 11.Nxe5 Nd4 12.Nc3 Nb4 13.Bf4 Nxb3 14.axb3 c5 15.Ne4 f6 16.Nf3 f5 17.Neg5 Bxg5 18.Nxg5 h6 19.Ne6 Qd5 20.f3 Rfe8 21.Re5 Qd6 22.c3 Rxe6 23.Rxe6 Qxe6 24.cxb4 cxb4 25.Rc1 Rc8 26.Rxc8+ Qxc8 27.Qe1 Qd7 28.Kh2 a5 29.Qe3 Bd5 30.Qb6 Bxb3 31.Qxa5 Qxd3 32.Qxb4 Be6 1/2-1/2
              _________

(Nigel Short) – Sergey’s great strength – a narrow but very well-analysed repertoire – is a liability when his opponent has months to prepare for it.

(Nigel Short) - Don't complain. The first K-K match was arse-numbingly tedious for months on end. This is better

Carlsen: "It was forced pretty quickly. There was nothing there. Nothing to play for."

- Commentary-wise, Peter is better than Loek drinking his tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                Carlsen wins the W.C.C. match in 9 rds. I'd say 7, but I think Karjakin can manage a couple of draws.
                Presumably this prediction was made on the basis of the rating difference of the two players. The predictors rating is 1419 - that says it all :)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                  Presumably this prediction was made on the basis of the rating difference of the two players. The predictors rating is 1419 - that says it all :)
                  Hey Vlad..........too brutal.

We class players may suck......but we "know"! :)

Bob A

Comment

A little late there Dobzy.

Presumably this prediction was made on the basis of the rating difference of the two players. The predictors rating is 1419 - that says it all :o
                    If ... and that's HUGE if ... if your comment was written a week earlier it would of had some importance.

Written now in such an unimpressive safe zone is just more Canadian lame.

Up your game!

Comment

I did not personally feel qualified to predict the course of the match before it had begun.
                      You on the other hand, had no such qualms and got your foot stuck in your mouth.

Comment

Your qualifications aren't my concern Dobzy, sorry.

I will leave you with this; chess is just a game ... have fun with it!

So when you pull your head out of your ass take a look around at us who really don't care all that much about our ratings ... we play the game for it's entertainment and engagement.

And that's true for vast majority of chess players around the globe!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                          Your qualifications aren't my concern Dobzy, sorry.

I will leave you with this; chess is just a game ... have fun with it!

So when you pull your head out of your ass take a look around at us who really don't care all that much about our ratings ... we play the game for it's entertainment and engagement.

And that's true for vast majority of chess players around the globe!

I can't figure why you include yourself in the group of people who don't play for ratings, and then you turn around and donate money to a rated chess tournament. You say "just have fun with it".... but all I see you post about here are RATED chess events. You even congratulate people for achieving certain rating levels.

What a hypocrite. When are you going to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk? For the people who play chess to have fun with it, Vlad Dobrich has done more in 5 minutes than you'll do in your entire life.

I won't hijack this thread further, but I felt that needed saying.
                          Only the rushing is heard...
                          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Neil has organized quite a few unrated chess tournaments as well as organized at least one chess club that didn't have any rated events.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

November 20, 2016

Game Seven

The commentators are Jan Gustafsson and Peter Svidler.

- the guys are the best in the business

- yeah, today we have the dream team, Jan & Peter

Peter has come up quickly through the ranks of commentators. Even a year ago he was not the choice of most voters in a poll.

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...t=commentators

Peter and Jan have the same temperament and interests and are good conversationalists and have impeccable English.

When the endgame was reached Peter disqualified himself from commenting in deference to Jan. He said that he once resigned in a drawn position to Kramnik. Evidently the memory still haunts him.

The game is Corus 2004, Kramnik vs Svidler in a Poisoned Pawn Najdorf Sicilian. See:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1272144

Malcolm Pein in the Telegraph said that Svidler thought the winning plan was for white to go first to the K-side and grab the h6 pawn, then return and threaten the a5 pawn. He assumed he had to guard the a5 pawn with Be1, so he thought that white could cross over in the center.

"However what Svidler missed was that he can let the a5 pawn go and prevent the white king reaching the kingside while still holding the two passed pawns on the queenside."

Comment in the chat room today - I remember watching Svidler's game with Vlad in the press room and Vishy coming in and showing the draw, right at the moment Peter resigned!
                              _________

Jan takes on the mantle of endgame expert then.

He mentions Shereshevsky’s Endgame Strategy and an ending similar to the one today (rooks and bishops of opposite colours) in Reti-Nimzowitsch in the book. It was my experience at one time that only a select few knew about Shereshevsky. See the August 28th posting at:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...t=shereshevsky

Then something happened to show that Jan and Peter are two schoolboys at heart.

Jan was explaining that after Black had played 22…b4 that if White played a4, then Black could play bxa e.p. and clearly said that this was en passant and showed it on the board. Then, the program rejected that move and went back to the last legal position. Jan tried it again but the program would still not accept e.p. It evidently had not been given that as a legal move. Then Peter started giggling and Jan did too.

They talked further of taxi cabs and Uber but shied away from the populist movement (Trump, Brexit etc) rising in the world. They had no wish to talk politics.

Then the draw came up and the program was over.
                              ________

World Chess Championshiop
                              New York City
                              Game Seven, Nov. 20, 2016
                              D10 QGD Slav Defence

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e3 a6 5.Bd3 dxc4 6.Bxc4 e6 7.Nf3 c5 8.O-O b5 9.Be2 Bb7 10.dxc5 Nc6 11.Nd2 Bxc5 12.Nde4 Nxe4 13.Nxe4 Be7 14.b3 Nb4 15.Bf3 O-O 16.Ba3 Rc8 17.Nf6+ Bxf6 18.Bxb7 Bxa1 19.Bxb4 Bf6 20.Bxf8 Qxd1 21.Rxd1 Rxf8 22.Bxa6 b4 23.Rc1 g6 24.Rc2 Ra8 25.Bd3 Rd8 26.Be2 Kf8 27.Kf1 Ra8 28.Bc4 Rc8 29.Ke2 Ke7 30.f4 h6 31.Kf3 Rc7 32.g4 g5 33.Ke4 Rc8 1/2-1/2

Online Comments on Game Seven

(World Chess) - Karjakin had White and opened with 1 d4 for the first time in the match after having played 1 e4 three times before. Carlsen replied 1 d5 and then steered the game into the Slav Defense. Carlsen equalized without difficulty and, after Karjakin played 11 Nd2, Carlsen was even able to grab the initiative.

But he erred with 16… Rc8 (16… Rb8 was better), which seemed to be a simple miscalculation. It led to a forced sequence of moves in which Karjakin won a pawn. But at the end, the players had reached an endgame in which there were opposite-colored bishops in addition to rooks and pawns and Carlsen had a pawn on b4 that effectively blocked Karjakin’s pawn majority on the queenside. After a few perfunctory moves, the players agreed to a draw.

- Youngest WCh match in history might depend on whether Pono-Ivanchuk counts

- pono ivanchuk should not count - that was a joke

Svidler: "I think it hasn't been as well-played a match as we would expect from these 2 players, but it hasn't been boring"

Silvio Danailov: It's amazing how poor is the opening preparation of Karjakin with white.What the hell is doing his team of seconds?

Teymor Radjabov: - What I like is that Karjakin is happy to upset Carlsen with the fact that he is better but can't win

- The main thing about a WC is that you have to be consistent; you must be consistently successful.
                              For Carlsen, he has figured out his algorithm, you can say, of how to be consistently successful. This includes taking people out of book, forcing them to make decisions in very complicated positions , making them endure a small or large pressure for hours on end. This, combined with his high degree of technique and refined intuitive positional skill, along with his awareness of the psychological state of the opponent, are some of the keys to Carlsen's success.

Karjakin is a mature product of the Soviet/Russian Chess School, based on Chigorin.
                              Chigorin was a very versatile, mature player, who was excellent in both attack and defense, and who could also, like Carlsen, play long endgames with a minimal advantage until it would increase into a critical mass, and who was keenly aware of the dynamic possibilities of the pieces and pawns, and had a great positional understanding.

Karjakin is also a prodigious talent, excellent in all aspects of the game, and above all he has a very strong nervous system, capable of withstanding the pressure that Carlsen can produce. In that respect, he is similar to Caruana and Giri, who are also very objective in their approach to the game....win, draw or lose, when they talk, it feels that you are listening to a physicist explaining an equation.

Notes:

1) William Lombardy dropped in on the game today. His photo is the eighth in the article at

https://www.chess.com/news/karjakin-...e-headway-7792

I would not have guessed that that was he.

2) Mikhail Shereshevsky’s main books in English are

a) The Soviet Chess Conveyor (1994)
                              b) Mastering the Endgame, Two Volumes (1991, 1992)
                              c) Endgame Strategy (1985)

I don’t know how long I have sat and puzzled over the first title. What is the conveyor? The book is almost impossible to find on the used book market.
                              Last edited by Wayne Komer; Monday, 21st November, 2016, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I just love Jan Gustafsson.

The games and the associated broadcast are incredibly boring and he seems to be the only one aware of the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X