X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Games of the Carlsen-Karjakin W.C.C. Match

Games of the Carlsen-Karjakin W.C.C. Match

December 3, 2016

Yasser Seirawan has a thoughtful follow-up to his article in ChessBase about improving the format of the world championship match.

It contains two paragraphs of especial interest:

Once again I stress that I’m a critic of the current system. I don’t like it at all. In fact, I find the current cycle to be plainly stupid. Why? Please, take the following grandmasterly challenge, I double-dare you: explain the current system to a good friend who doesn’t play chess. Explain that the Champion, presumably the best chess player in the world, sits outside of a two-year-long cycle of events, biding his time, waiting for a Challenger to emerge. That there is a series of four “Swiss Open” tournaments with hundreds of players, called “Continental Championships”, played at a different time-control, that act as qualifier events for a big-money event called the “World Cup.” That it, in turn, is a 128-player “Knock-out” event featuring different time-controls, as well as tie-breakers that qualify the winners for a “Candidates’ Tournament” which is a “double-round-robin” with a different, slower Classical time-control. The Candidates’ Tournament itself features a field of eight players. Where the runner-up of the previous WC Match is joined by the World Cup qualifiers, some of the highest rated players in the world and a wildcard player chosen by the organizers. Be sure to emphasize such terms as “Swiss Open”, “Knockout Matches”, “Double-Round-Robin”, as well as describing the different time-controls, and toss in an “Armageddon” once or twice to be sure that your friend is listening. Don’t forget that tiebreaks are not used in the Candidates’ tournament. Instead, do mention, please, that tying for first by losing more games than your rival is better than going undefeated, and I guarantee you that you will have thoroughly confused your friend. And quite possibly yourself as well.
    ________

For myself, I’d consider it a massive improvement if the next World Championship Match were a 15-game contest with the player who is given the extra game with the Black pieces at the drawing of lots ceremony having draw-odds. At every moment in such a match a player would be trailing and would have to fight for the win. Tame draws would favor only the player in the lead. Victory would come only in Classical Games and not through Rapid Chess, Blitz or an Armageddon game. Lest anyone think that I would deny the chess world the thrills of Rapid Chess, I would not. That is why there is a World Rapid Chess Championship which is called by that name. It is coming up soon. Be sure to tune in to that different form of chess. But let us keep the three forms of chess, Classical, Rapid and Blitz, separate from one another.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/yasser-...redux-wcc-2016
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Saturday, 3rd December, 2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

December 3, 2016

For the record, the seconds of each player have been revealed:

Sergey’s known team of seconds are all those who have helped him before: Vladimir Potkin, Alexander Motylev, Shakhriyar Mamedyarov and Kasparov’s old coach Yury Dokhoian.

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/kar...ds-after-match

(To Magnus) - Now that the match is over, would it be OK to share who your seconds were?

I think some of them have been shared. Peter [Heine Nielsen] of course, [Laurent] Fressinet, and also Nils Grandelius was in the team. I think the others either don't want to be named, or they want to make the announcement themselves. [According to NRK, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave has also helped Carlsen. — PD]

https://www.chess.com/news/view/magn...confident-7465

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        I have never played a GM who in the post-mortem talked about +3 or +6 or whatever positions. Mostly if they find something really strong they play it. I would think in a relatively fast game the tendency to play the first strong move you see is even more pronounced. I know it's true for me in my games.
        Agreed. The proliferation of computer assisted analysis is really distorting our view here. No one uses such numerical evaluations.

OTB, you don't have access to a computer and the human brain is not a computer. For us, some +3 variations are just easier to see and calculate, even though there's also another move in the position leading to a +6 evaluation.

In that final game, the variation after Bf8 is in fact very easy for a human GM: it's all checks for which black can answer with only one or two moves, all leading to a rapid checkmate. I was exagerating a bit when I said you don't need to calculate it. But the fact is, the calculation is really too simple and straightforward.

IMO, seeing Qh6 in advance is harder, even though the variations are much shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          3) I don't know when he saw the mating line, but even if he only saw it just prior to actually playing Rc8+ it is still fine for him
          I was looking for any mentioning how early Magnus had seen the move or a possible variation. Only got a reminder about Qh6 in the old WC match Kasparov-Karpov.
          http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...1067294&m=34.5

Maybe some new interviews will discuss the last moments of the match.

Comment

December 5, 2016

From Tarjel J. Svensen this morning:

This is a big surprise. Carlsen names ‪GMShanky among his helpers during ‪the Match, in addition to MVL, Fressinet and Grandelius.
            ________

Sam Shankland was 4th board on the 2016 USA Olympiad team and is rated 69th in the world, just behind teammate Ray Robson. Interesting that Carlsen welcomed his input in his preparation.

He is on the cover of the first issue of the new American Chess Magazine

I was glad to see Sam’s tweet on the 30th:

Sergey has more than earned the respect of the chess world. He fought a battle that he can be very, very proud of.

Sam won the Edmonton International this past June:

https://www.chess.com/news/edmonton-...land-wins-9323

Comment

January 7, 2017

Just five weeks after the end of the W.C.C. Match, a book of the games has appeared.

The details:

World Chess Championship 2016
              Sergey Karjakin vs. Magnus Carlsen
              by Jerzy Konikowski, Uwe Bekemann

Publisher: Beyer-Verlag, 2016
              Edition: Paperback medium
              ISBN: 9783959209694
              Pages: 141
              Language: English

In 2013 Magnus Carlsen became world champion after his victory over Viswanathan Anand. He has been dominating the top of the international chess scene ever since – and almost at his liking. Now, defending his title against the not much older Russian Sergey Karjakin was on the agenda. All their prior match-ups were ‘teeth and claws’ affairs with the Norwegian only scoring a slight plus.

However, Sergey Karjakin surely did his best to push his opponent off the throne. From November 11th to 30th the Fulton Market Building in New York became the arena of the fight for the crown of the world chess champion. Exciting games, played at the highest level and thoroughly annotated, will guarantee the reader’s delight.

Comment

Working...
              X