Ratings Used for Paring Multi-Week Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratings Used for Paring Multi-Week Tournaments

Does the CFC Handbook have any guidance on whether it is advisable to update the rating used for pairing in the middle of a multi-week (club) tournament?

I would think no since players would be able to influence their pairing by playing in other tournaments, but was told it is TD discretion.

Re: Ratings Used for Paring Multi-Week Tournaments

It might be a good idea with improving kids.
    The drawback that the rating calculations will not look at that.

Comment

Nothing in the Handbook, Tony. TD's are free to pair players however they like.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
        Scarborough Chess Club in Toronto has the policy that once the tournament is started, all pre-registrants will get the rating from the last prior CFC Rating Day. After that they are stuck with their ratings, even if subsequently they change. Pairings are done with outdated ratings in some cases. New registrants get their rating as per immediately prior to entry.

I have been told this policy is NOT based on substantial analysis of the costs/benefits of the two systems: no updating; constant updating.

It is merely a practical decision based on SCC being a totally volunteer, community-based organization.

Bob A (Ordinary SCC Member)

Comment

Is it still considered "Swiss" pairings?

Comment

Let's call it "Swiss-ish"
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
              Does the CFC Handbook have any guidance on whether it is advisable to update the rating used for pairing in the middle of a multi-week (club) tournament?

I would think no since players would be able to influence their pairing by playing in other tournaments, but was told it is TD discretion.
              We (in Winnipeg) run 8 or so multiweek tournaments per year ranging from 4 to 8 weeks each. We have never updated ratings during the tournament. We don't have many tournaments that occur during the multi-week period, but regardless, I think it is an unnecessary burden for the TD to update ratings.
              Last edited by Tony Boron; Thursday, 24th November, 2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

There is something in the FIDE Handbook that is valid only for FIDE rated tournaments.

Originally posted by FIDE rating regulations
                4. Duration of the Tournament

4.1 For tournaments, a period not greater than 90 days, except:

4.11 Leagues may be rated which last for a period greater than 90 days.

4.12 The QC may approve the rating of tournaments lasting more than 90 days.

4.13 For tournaments lasting more than 90 days, interim results must be reported on a monthly basis.
                Originally posted by FIDE title regulations (when GM or IM norms are possible
                Leagues and national team championships may last longer than 90 days, but not more than one year. Normally for individual tournaments, a period of at most 90 days is permitted but the QC Chairman may give prior approval to tournaments of a longer duration.

In tournaments which last longer than 90 days, the opponents’ ratings and titles used shall be those applying when the games were played.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post

I don't believe I have ever seen a TD update rating mid tournament. (other than to make corrections)
                  I think this would be a case of Ratings Obsession! Medication would be advised. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X