Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of current CFC voting members?

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
    At last, a sign of rebellion! It is hard to organize a coup when the obsolete VM's remain in control of the voting.

It is not just now that the officers have been disastrous. Not too long ago when the "Ottawa" cabal voted in a guy who was under the protection of his mother....Bunning had a lot to do with that. Open your eyes.....
    We have 7 Directors that control the business end of the CFC. Elections are held every summer. I would say on average there are about 1.25 candidates for each position. I think all of us would love more participation. Certainly we will ensure that all VM's will receive information from 2017 Candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      All of the above is written in the context of someone (a "member" or a "member's personal representative" or just "a person") wanting a list of voting members. It all seems to IMPLY (without saying explicitly) that the corporation should not be providing a PUBLIC list of voting members. Is this correct?

If so, then why does the CFC site have even an outdated (3 year old) list of voting members? Isn't that illegal? Although the quoted sections above don't mention anything about a penalty to the corporation, only to "a person" using the list for "a purpose other than those specified in sections....".

Is there any section in the Act providing for penalties to the corporation for providing a public list of voting members?

And to Fred Harvey, asking why all this not-for-profit nonsense: it should be obvious, avoiding income taxes. That must be the number 1 reason, with number 2 probably being the ability to issue tax deductions for those making donations.
      1. We are removing the names of VM's (from 3 years ago) from the web site, ASAP.
      2. We became a NFP in order to retain our holdings and operate as a Not for Profit organization as opposed to a company. We can't issue tax receipts.

Comment

How can we contact our province's Voting Members if we don't know who they are? When I was a Governor, I was contacted regularly by Quebec players with CFC-related questions. That type of thing should be part of a Governor's (or Voting Member's) job.

How many Voting Members (and others - if any) were eligible to vote in the recent meeting? 35 registered - how many did not?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          I remember having a very interesting chat with Lavin, something along the lines the CFC should not even be in the business of Memberships ... which seems to me to be a fantastic idea!
          How would you propose to replace that revenue, Neil ?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Just curious, is a TD guilty of using a membership list for organizing his tournament? I think that I did not agree to allow use information by renewing my membership LOL
            In keeping with the regulations of the NFP Act we created two member classes

1. Class A = Voting Members = Governors (before NFP Act)
            2. Class B = "Regular (Non-Voting) Members = Members (before NFP Act)\

What we have been talking about is a registry of Class A members. The membership you may have in your possession is of Class B members.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
              What we have been talking about is a registry of Class A members. The membership you may have in your possession is of Class B members.
              I don't see that those lists are different from a point of the Act.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                How can we contact our province's Voting Members if we don't know who they are? When I was a Governor, I was contacted regularly by Quebec players with CFC-related questions. That type of thing should be part of a Governor's (or Voting Member's) job.

How many Voting Members (and others - if any) were eligible to vote in the recent meeting? 35 registered - how many did not?
                Question (Supplementary to that of Hugh's above): Could I get a direct simple answer to each question if possible?

Though it appears from the Executive explanations, that they cannot publicly provide a list of the names of all the VM's:

1. Can they provide the total number of VM's, with no names?

2. Can they provide a breakdown of how many VM's there are per province/territory, without names?

3. If they can do this, then will they post that limited information on the website to explain the somewhat opaque way information can be shared about the governance of the "Not-for-Profit" Corporation, CFC? At least this info would then be available to both members and the public.

4. Is a CFC member, who is also a member of their provincial chess association, entitled to the list of current VM's elected by their province?

5. If from information publicly available, or to which someone is entitled, and that they then shared publicly, a CFC member compiles a tentative list of who they think are the VM's, is there any law that prohibits them from publishing such list here on CMA's National Chess Discussion Board?

Bob A (Former VM)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

1) The best answer I have for you Hugh is that you would contact the CFC Secretary for this information.
                  2) This information (total number of VM's) could be posted on the CFC website. I'll check into it.
                  Last edited by Fred McKim; Wednesday, 7th December, 2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I don't see that those lists are different from a point of the Act.
                    When the Act refers to members, it means Voting Members. We could have called Class B members, anything (ie associates, fellows, players, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      Question (Supplementary to that of Hugh's above): Could I get a direct simple answer to each question if possible?

Though it appears from the Executive explanations, that they cannot publicly provide a list of the names of all the VM's:

1. Can they provide the total number of VM's, with no names?

2. Can they provide a breakdown of how many VM's there are per province/territory, without names?

3. If they can do this, then will they post that limited information on the website to explain the somewhat opaque way information can be shared about the governance of the "Not-for-Profit" Corporation, CFC? At least this info would then be available to both members and the public.

4. Is a CFC member, who is also a member of their provincial chess association, entitled to the list of current VM's elected by their province?

5. If from information publicly available, or to which someone is entitled, and that they then shared publicly, a CFC member compiles a tentative list of who they think are the VM's, is there any law that prohibits them from publishing such list here on CMA's National Chess Discussion Board?

Bob A (Former VM)
                      Hi Bob.

I am talking to Vlad, Lyle, and Bob G about 1-3. I think there could be a link on the web to this information.

I will have to leave 4 and 5 for Vlad to tackle.

Comment

1) The best answer I have for you Hal, is that you would contact the CFC Secretary for this information.
                        From the by-laws: "Class A voting membership shall be available only to individuals who have applied and have been accepted for Class A voting membership in the Corporation."

What is a procedure for acceptance? I just looked at the Incoming Annual meeting there was no Approval of VMs. Years ago there was at least count of incoming Governors during the AGM.

Comment

From the by-laws: "Class A voting membership shall be available only to individuals who have applied and have been accepted for Class A voting membership in the Corporation."

What is a procedure for acceptance? I just looked at the Incoming Annual meeting there was no Approval of VMs. Years ago there was at least count of incoming Governors during the AGM.
                          I am working on getting this information posted on the website. It's essentially the same process as we had before the NFP act (with the exception that Past President has been replaced by Director at large).

Comment

When the Act refers to members, it means Voting Members. We could have called Class B members, anything (ie associates, fellows, players, etc)
                            I disagree with that. All members are "members".

From by-laws
                            "Membership Conditions
                            Subject to the articles, there shall be two classes of members in the Corporation, namely, Class A members and Class B members."
                            It does not matter how you call ordinary members, they are still members, and have a lot of rights (except of voting and related stuff) - including the access to the CFC records.

"Access to corporate records
                            22 (1) A member, a member’s personal representative and a creditor of a corporation may examine and, on payment of any reasonable fee, take extracts from the records referred to in paragraphs 21(1)(a) to (f) during the corporation’s usual business hours."
                            Corporate records

21 (1) A corporation shall prepare and maintain, at its registered office or at any other place in Canada designated by the directors, records containing

(e) a register of directors;
                            (f) a register of officers; and
                            (g) a register of members.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              The NFP act outlines the circumstances in which information about the voting members can be revealed or shared in section 23 of the not for profit corporations act. My reading of this section indicates that this is intended to be a confidential list. Voting members and creditors can access this list but only in context of trying to influence a vote of the voting members and only for that purpose. It is not normal practice to reveal a list of a corporation's voting members. It is normal practice to reveal a list of the directors.
                              As I've already written to Fred's reply all members - A & B have a right to see CFC records. Though records are still confidential to a general public, and shall not be published online. (Thus creating a rating list on a border of the breach of the Act.)

Comment

As I've already written to Fred's reply all members - A & B have a right to see CFC records. Though records are still confidential to a general public, and shall not be published online. (Thus creating a rating list on a border of the breach of the Act.)
                                That's your opinion. I don't happen to agree with it. Maybe Vlad can explain it better.

Comment

Working...
                                X