X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drain the swamp?

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
    "Educated"? How old are you anyway?
    I don't see how it's relevant, but I'm old enough...

Comment

And the title of this thread is suddenly fitting.

Just remove the question mark. Because we are really draining the swamp here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
        I don't see how it's relevant, but I'm old enough...
        The relevance is that you have posted a number of opinions on here that can only be described as juvenile. It would be reassuring that you have an excuse, and are not another prat worthy of ignoring!
        Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
          The relevance is that you have posted a number of opinions on here that can only be described as juvenile. It would be reassuring that you have an excuse, and are not another prat worthy of ignoring!
          I'll take it as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
            But you know what, it is ordinary Americans that have to live with the consequences of their decisions, not you. They had it really good 20 years ago and blew their huge advantage. Time to rebuild but I doubt Trump's ideas are the right building blocks. It's still a great country for rich people, if you don't get shot or car jacked.

The Trump economic agenda, as outlined by his budget proposals, is already running into headwinds....

Stagflation Looming?

Remember the term "stagflation" from the 1980's? I believe this term is going to make a comeback.

The essence of the problem is this: we have a world of stagnant growth, and now thanks to Trump, rising prices and interest rates. There is no new technology, aside perhaps from green energy, that is going to effectively spur growth. Yes, there is AI, but that is actually going to hurt job growth, possibly even reverse it. Without all those supermarket cashiers and fast food workers, the auto leasing industry will collapse and the domino effect will be well underway.

Obama was behind green energy, and I believe in hindsight many will see that as his true spark of originality. He had it right with American initiatives in green energy, and only in many years to come will that be fully realized.

Trump is a fossil fuel guy all the way, a step in the reverse direction. And so growth is going to really hit the skids.

Well, who knows, maybe we'll get cold fusion during Trump's presidency.
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
              "I have no doubt that in a few years you will be crediting Trump for driving ISIS underground, even though that work started long ago, without real American casualties. haha"

The timing of this statement is funny. At lunch today, I was discussing the election with a like-minded friend and told him that, "The Obama administration spent 8 years blaming Bush for anything that went wrong and would spend the next 8 years (sorry, Bob!) taking credit for whatever goes right for Trump!!
              I doubt Obama will want to take credit for anything Trump does. It will be more like, "I told you so"

Comment

I am unsure what Trump will actually do once faced with reality of being President. So far, it seems he'll latch onto any superficial means to take credit for a supposed win. At some point, his biggest supporters will ask serious questions about the wall, immigration policy, tariffs, quality of employment opportunities, medical insurance, ... . Not that what they wanted was necessarily best for the US, but it's why they voted him in. I could see a situation where some consumer prices in the US rise considerably ( due to tariff policy ) but the jobs gained are such poor quality that nobodies happy. Who really knows.

Trump's stated growth estimates were at least 4-5% on national GDP ( and possibly more ). Let's see how he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                  I am unsure what Trump will actually do once faced with reality of being President. So far, it seems he'll latch onto any superficial means to take credit for a supposed win. At some point, his biggest supporters will ask serious questions about the wall, immigration policy, tariffs, quality of employment opportunities, medical insurance, ... . Not that what they wanted was necessarily best for the US, but it's why they voted him in. I could see a situation where some consumer prices in the US rise considerably ( due to tariff policy ) but the jobs gained are such poor quality that nobodies happy. Who really knows.

Trump's stated growth estimates were at least 4-5% on national GDP ( and possibly more ). Let's see how he does.

The situation is getting more dire each day. Look at the second chart in this article:

Foreigners Dumping U.S. Treasuries

If you understand anything about global bond markets, that second chart may well be the scariest piece of news in the entire world right now. The second scariest piece of news is that Donald Trump intends to cut taxes AND increase spending, meaning demand for U.S. Treasuries must INCREASE. And it's not going to!

This is a game of chicken that can only have one outcome. The question is how much longer does the U.S. have before total financial breakdown? Keep an eye on those U.S. Treasury auctions.... and on interest rates!
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

...how much longer does the U.S. have before total financial breakdown?
                    I love how the Dems focused their collective fiscal attention on paying down the debt ... oops, no, wait a sec, that's untrue.

Crooked Hillary wanted to raise taxes, watch yet another company lay-off workers ... at the same time push as hard as she could to get the debt increased well past Obama's 20+ trillion dollars! Yep, 20+ trillion in debt!!!

Smooth operator, no? Even had you fooled Paul.

Here's what America looks like right now:
                    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

In sharp contrast ... Trump is going to cut taxes, save workers jobs and increase American productivity! Not to mention a whole bunch of other fantastic initiatives.

Paul that's called ... hope in a brighter future for us all!

BTW, his Cabinet looks amazing!

Comment

I hope you are right Neil. Maybe his alpha male essence will somehow inject confidence into the economy. I have trouble seeing Trump as anything more than a carnival barker. Cutting taxes, saving jobs, increasing productivity - would you like fries with that?

I soooo hope I am wrong about him.

Comment

The President of the United States is a puppet. The last one who tried not to be got his head shot off. Trump will do what he is told or else the same thing will happen to him. But the interesting thing about Trump is the fact that they are acting like he is anti-establishment, they are acting like he is some rogue, some new maverick who is bucking the system. But I do not believe them. Trump would not have gotten this far unless he was already bought and paid for. I have no doubt but that they showed Trump the Zapruder film, stopped it on frame 313 and then asked him if he had any questions. The people with the vote decide nothing, it is the people with the money who call the shots (pun intended).

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                          The President of the United States is a puppet. The last one who tried not to be got his head shot off. Trump will do what he is told or else the same thing will happen to him. But the interesting thing about Trump is the fact that they are acting like he is anti-establishment, they are acting like he is some rogue, some new maverick who is bucking the system. But I do not believe them. Trump would not have gotten this far unless he was already bought and paid for. I have no doubt but that they showed Trump the Zapruder film, stopped it on frame 313 and then asked him if he had any questions. The people with the vote decide nothing, it is the people with the money who call the shots (pun intended).
                          Pretty good analysis Brad.

The Oligarchy (And numerous respected Professors have written on the USA evolution from democracy to oligarchy) have picked a somewhat unusual one from among their midst to be the figurehead, but they obviously saw his populist appeal, at a time of great working class/lower middle class alienation and discouragement, and with their assistance, determined that he could win...... and as is often the case, the oligarchy chose wisely (In their own interest, of course). Let's see where the money flows in the next four years......that will indicate where the true power resides.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Pretty good analysis Brad.

The Oligarchy (And numerous respected Professors have written on the USA evolution from democracy to oligarchy) have picked a somewhat unusual one from among their midst to be the figurehead, but they obviously saw his populist appeal, at a time of great working class/lower middle class alienation and discouragement, and with their assistance, determined that he could win...... and as is often the case, the oligarchy chose wisely (In their own interest, of course). Let's see where the money flows in the next four years......that will indicate where the true power resides.

Bob A
                            Down this road lies madness. Chesstalk is veering off into its own reality where its perfectly reasonable to opine that the WTC came down not due to the coincidence of planes crashing into buildings but rather the demolition charges planted in the walls of those buildings against the day when planes would fly into them. In this world presidents fear assassination by the oligarchy and man-made global warming is an uncontested fact. Both are nonsense.

Trump did not take money from the oligarchy until he had won the primary. He was not their candidate. Hillary Clinton was their candidate. Trump was the last man standing chosen by the masses, by the Republican primary voters reacting against a horrible candidate with almost the entire media in her tank. He won because he understands publicity and because he was able to communicate over the heads of the mainstream media which went so over the top that it was clear that any sentient human being could see that they had their agenda which has been clearly derailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                              Down this road lies madness. Chesstalk is veering off into its own reality where its perfectly reasonable to opine that the WTC came down not due to the coincidence of planes crashing into buildings but rather the demolition charges planted in the walls of those buildings against the day when planes would fly into them. In this world presidents fear assassination by the oligarchy and man-made global warming is an uncontested fact. Both are nonsense.

Trump did not take money from the oligarchy until he had won the primary. He was not their candidate. Hillary Clinton was their candidate. Trump was the last man standing chosen by the masses, by the Republican primary voters reacting against a horrible candidate with almost the entire media in her tank. He won because he understands publicity and because he was able to communicate over the heads of the mainstream media which went so over the top that it was clear that any sentient human being could see that they had their agenda which has been clearly derailed.
                              Hi Vlad:

IF you are right, then it seems to me Chesstalk is veering off into two of its own realities, and as is usually true, CT'ers have no bloody clue what the universe is all about!! :) :)

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                                ...its perfectly reasonable to opine that the WTC came down not due to the coincidence of planes crashing into buildings but rather the demolition charges planted in the walls of those buildings against the day when planes would fly into them.
                                Where was this stated? (I myself in this thread stated that I do not believe the official bin Laden theory, and that I find it odd that a third large building came down even though it was not hit by a plane, and that this event was not mentioned in the official government report.) Who put forth the theory of demolition charges planted in the walls?

Comment

Working...
                                X