X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Coleman
    replied
    Re: Knightfall Chess Association??

I took the direct route and emailed Abdi Hassan (the organiser); he replied promptly, saying a report on the event would be posted later today. Didn't say posted where, but I'll look on the Knightfall website later.

Leave a comment:

• Rahul Gangolli
    replied

'Nima is very connected with the chess community not only in Canada but internationally. He has connections with Garry Kasporav through his mentor. He will be doing interviews with this teacher so we can continue to provide our free membership base with content.'

I found this off Knightfall's website on a link for 'DONATE'. I concede I have only been in the Canadian chess community since 2013 (and that too just in Toronto) but I have never heard of Nima before. When you go to chess. ca, Nima Shirali's CFC record shows a very recent Membership with absolutely no record of any tournament play (though I am aware that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't 'connected').

Leave a comment:

• Rahul Gangolli
    replied

https://www.gofundme.com/universal-free-chess

There is apparently a go fund me page related to this organization with quite an elaborate bio on the organizer. I had a friend whose son was registered to play in this event (Bobby Fischer Memorial) but I haven't heard from her either on how the tournament worked out.

Leave a comment:

• Hal Bond
    replied

I attempted contact with the Jimmie Simpson Community Centre this morning. I got a recorded message which directed me to another Community Centre if I wanted to speak to someone in person. I also contacted one of the players on the pre-reg list who had inquired about the event but not registered. Sorry - that's all I could do in the free time I had today.

Leave a comment:

• Thomas Bean
    replied

The Knightfall Chess Association website now indicates that results and photos from the event will be posted by 5 - I assume 5:00 pm eastern.

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
    ... Bobby Fischer dropped by to sign a few autographs and talk about his upcoming 25th anniversary re-rematch with Boris Spassky too.
    I fully understand not advertising the number of rounds, time controls or the parameters of the three different sections and being initially coy about location of venue - brings a playful sense of suspense and mystery that is otherwise sadly lacking from other chess tournaments I have seen advertised. But it seems counterproductive not to have advertised this exciting surprise feature....

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Siddeley
    replied

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    I am a bit surprised that neither the organisers nor any of the 150+ people on the pre-reg list have posted anything, either here on the Knightfall website.
    It was a great event! It was very well organized, the rounds started on time and it was a spacious venue. It's good to see new and keen organizers on the Canadian chess scene! Bobby Fischer dropped by to sign a few autographs and talk about his upcoming 25th anniversary re-rematch with Boris Spassky too.

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied

I am a bit surprised that neither the organisers nor any of the 150+ people on the pre-reg list have posted anything, either here on the Knightfall website.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied

Originally posted by Olivier Tessier View Post
    I heard it went great.
    Really. You heard from who?
    Details please. I have heard absolutely nothing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 13th March, 2017, 08:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

Chess in Canada is not a CFC priority.

What is a CFC priority? Kiss the ass of elite chess ecosystems.
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 13th March, 2017, 05:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied

Originally posted by Olivier Tessier View Post
    I heard it went great. Maybe the CFC can now wire transfer them some money; given how they successfully served the cause of Chess in Canada.
    As far as I remember, the event was not CFC rated. In that case, I wonder why the CFC should send them money. I used to hold unrated events, the CFC never sent me any money.

Vlad, Bob G, you are missing a huge opportunity here: support chess in Canada, send money to people who hold chess events!

(P.S. I'm retired, but maybe you could make it retroactive.)

Leave a comment:

• Olivier Tessier
    replied
    Last edited by Olivier Tessier; Monday, 22nd October, 2018, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    Isn't today the day? It would be interesting to hear from someone how the tournament went.
    Yes, today. rental contract shows 8am to 4pm, so they should be finished by now.
    I am very curious. Can anyone tell us how it went?

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied

Isn't today the day? It would be interesting to hear from someone how the tournament went.

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied

Fide doesn't list a Nima Shirali, but does have 12531197 Shirani Liri, Nima, Iran, rated 1657.

Leave a comment:

• Nikolay Noritsyn
    replied

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    If the number of pre-registrants is to be believed - a lot of people have already paid. I hope someone will visit and report here.
    Why wouldn't they..after all, the CFC president himself has said on record that the organizers are sincere.
    I expect some hats to be eaten after March 12.

Here is the latest I have seen, on facebook: https://www.gofundme.com/universal-free-chess%EF%BB%BF
    mentioning this newly born/created "chess expert" http://chess.ca/players?check_rating...358&key=170309

Leave a comment:

Working...
X