X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Frarey
    replied
    Re: Knightfall Chess Association??

Simpler solution; contact City of Toronto and inquire about their lease agreement with the KCA. Contract number: 3466326

Re: Jimmie Simpson Recreational Center; Gym (B)

Amount: 985.90

Leave a comment:

• Mathieu Cloutier
    replied

And even the pre-registration list looks suspicious. Really curious to see how it unfolds. The suspense is real! :p

Leave a comment:

• Mathieu Cloutier
    replied

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
    I'm not downloading anything from their site.
    I downloaded and scanned the files for viruses and found nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Sharpe
    replied

I'm not downloading anything from their site.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied

If the number of pre-registrants is to be believed - a lot of people have already paid. I hope someone will visit and report here.

Leave a comment:

• Digeng Du
    replied

Just read through the entire thread... I hope nobody actually gave the "organizer" any money...

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied

Pre-registration list for the March 12 tournament:

http://knightfallchess.com/events

Leave a comment:

• John Coleman
    replied
    Re: humility precedes greatness

Vlad is mostly right. Our big tournament in Windsor had 1452 pre-registered, + 12 walk-ins, minus 42 no-shows for 1422 total players. This is the 19th year for this event.

Colasant's annual event has been running for at least 20 years - it has declined from 150+ players in its heyday to less than 100 last year.

Leave a comment:

• Vlad Drkulec
    replied

It seems to me that the organizer is sincere though a bit inexperienced. We wish him well. We don't advertise non-CFC rated events on the CFC website. Bob Gillanders became concerned because he was being asked questions which he could not answer about the tournament and later about the organizers. Any chess is better than no chess. We just had a tournament in Windsor which reached as many as 1500 kids which was not CFC rated. Everyone seemed to have fun. There will soon be another tournament at Collasanti's which will also not be rated but will draw a large number of kids.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

Here's some fake news that's up on chess.ca for a long time now:

The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC), founded in 1872...

Leave a comment:

• Bob Armstrong
    replied

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    Sounds exciting. It would be great if you could get the CFC to advertise this for you.
    As I understand the new thinking, false news is as real as true news. So I can get as excited about a non-tournament (Not going to happen), as I can about a "Tournament" (A future fact - a tournament that will happen). So therefore, for the promoter of the non-tournament, the goal is to figure out how to get my non-true excitement to morph into "true money".

There you go John - the path is all mapped out for you!

Bob A

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
    I'm just getting ready to advertise my next event... $1,000,000 prize fund, free champagne, and a free Maserati to all players over 18. Sponsors to be named later. To reserve your place, please send a $100 cheque made out to the "John Coleman retirement fund", P.O.Box 911, Cancun, Mexico.
    John, how big is your prize fund?????
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw

Just helping you advertise :)

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied
    Re: Kick 'em when they're down!

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    Bob's advice is sensible. Don't send them any money, find out the facts, if they're simply bumbling so-and-so's then push them in the right direction, &tc., &tc.. If they've got a brain between the lot of them, then they have to know that they're now under serious scrutiny and better get their "ducks in a row".

Mind you, I understand that many people, chess players included, get immense schadenfreude from kicking others when they're down. Don't let me stand in your way! :)
    I see he has now posted the rental contract for the new site on his website. making progress?
    I would like to hear from members who are either planning to attend on the new date, or from those who have asked for a refund.
    Please send email to info@chess.ca

I repeat my recommendation: Do NOT send any money in advance.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 2nd March, 2017, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nikolay Noritsyn
    replied

I'm just getting ready to advertise my next event... $1,000,000 prize fund, free champagne, and a free Maserati to all players over 18. Sponsors to be named later. To reserve your place, please send a $100 cheque made out to the "John Coleman retirement fund", P.O.Box 911, Cancun, Mexico.
    Sounds exciting. It would be great if you could get the CFC to advertise this for you.

Leave a comment:

• Vlad Drkulec
    replied

Will you take a post dated cheque?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X