• Show
Clear All

• Peter McKillop
    replied
    Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
    Re: Knightfall Chess Association??

NightFall:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=nightfall
    Given that, KCA's name seems a little TOO coincidental to actually be a coincidence.

Leave a comment:

• Terrance Coulombe
    replied
    Well John Coleman, it appears you had a fall and experienced a little of what I went through when Ed Renaud broke my left leg and I ended up in a wheelchair and it took me four years to walk again without a cane. I hope your recovery went well.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Frarey
    replied

Thanks for the update. What did we learn from its demise?

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied

Update: The Knightfall web page and Facebook page went bye-bye on July 1. I was wondering what was going to happen to the tournaments advertised for June. R.I.P.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied

Update: The announced April tournaments have now become June tournaments. A "Tal Memorial" is planned for Hart House in August.
    The gofundme link to raise $50k is gone (there was $0 in donations when I last saw it).

http://knightfallchess.com/events

Leave a comment:

• Brad Thomson
    replied
    Re: eating hats

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Yes, but....remember these wise words from George W.
    I think you mean "Dubya" otherwise it looks like Washington.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    I am inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt until they show themselves not deserving of that benefit.
    Yes, but....remember these wise words from George W. ("Dubya") (of course)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fAgRpL_q3s
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 14th March, 2017, 09:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied

This was not a CFC rated event and so the CFC should have little to say. .
    It does not mean that it was not advertise as being rated by the CFC. The cashed FAQ version:
    "Question: Are your tournaments rated by the CFC?

Yes all of our tournaments including the Bobby Fischer Memorial Open will be rated by the CFC. Players must be registered with the CFC in order to be rated, however. Please make sure to register as a CFC member before signing up if you would like to be rated"
    Now FAQ is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Brad Thomson
    replied

I am inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt until they show themselves not deserving of that benefit.
    Agreed, but do not allow yourself to get suckered either, if you can avoid it. I have found this to be an extremely interesting thread, though I have no opinion on the matter whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• Vlad Drkulec
    replied

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    It initially looks like the event was a modest success. How horrible.
    I understand that some people on chesstalk are upset. I see that the winner of the A section is someone who I know and have met. This was not a CFC rated event and so the CFC should have little to say. We all start somewhere and this appears to have been a good start for these organizers though perhaps not as successful in terms of numbers for the reasons enumerated on their website. I am sure that they will make adjustments for their future events and will enjoy even better results. We should wish them all well.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gillanders
    replied

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
    Hang on a minute there Nigel, other than a few pictures (can anyone say "photoshop") and a sighting of Bobby Fischer :)
    in this world of fake news etc etc we have little evidence than an event actually occurred.
    I find it interesting that not a single person has come forward on this forum or by email to CFC office to confirm they participated in said event.

If you participated in the event please send email to info@chess.ca with your comments. Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Nigel Hanrahan
    replied
    eating hats

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    ... the CFC president himself has said on record that the organizers are sincere. I expect some hats to be eaten after March 12.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Armstrong
    replied

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    They certainly have enough spin doctors (and apparently are hiring more people!?) but the proof remains in the pudding... where is the pudding??
    Clearly a crosstable is a required element. The pics are interesting I suppose.
    Although we clearly have a "newbie" here, I am pleased to hear that they do indeed exist, and did run a tournament.

So it seems we may be able to take the SCAM label off them, at least for the moment. Their promises in future, though, have to be realistic and not misleading to falsely attract players.

I, for one, welcome any chess organizer,,,,,but they do have it seems a somewhat steep learning curve ahead of them...but persistence works miracles, IMHO. I'll give them a shot........

Bob A

Leave a comment:

• Kerry Liles
    replied

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    From their web page (there are also some photos of prize winners) http://knightfallchess.com/events

"Bobby Fischer Memorial Open -------- March 12, 2017 (concluded)

This event was held at the Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm

Unfortunately turn out for the tournament was not as large as we initially hoped and projected!

This is due to factors such as: change of venue, change of date, low staff to meet initial demand, lack of staff with chess background, and other miscellaneous factors. This includes some players showing up to our office instead of the venue on the day of the event. We have refunded anyone was has paid in advance and offered free tournaments (with conditions) to players who have went through extreme circumstances as a result of these factors.

Regardless of these conditions. All players who have showed up to the event had a blast and this event was a success! Our main goal was to make sure players were happy and that everyone had a good time. Unfortunately due to the lower turnout we could not provide the initially large projected prize fund. This is not a problem however since the winners were happy regardless! We will be hiring data analyst so we can project more accurate prize funds for subsequent tournaments! We also have taken extreme measures to make sure we do not run into any issues in the future and have used this tournament as a learning experience. This will help us run the best possible tournaments, and serve players with grace!"
    They certainly have enough spin doctors (and apparently are hiring more people!?) but the proof remains in the pudding... where is the pudding??
    Clearly a crosstable is a required element. The pics are interesting I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Brodie
    replied

From their web page (there are also some photos of prize winners) http://knightfallchess.com/events

"Bobby Fischer Memorial Open -------- March 12, 2017 (concluded)

This event was held at the Jimmie Simpson Recreation Centre from 9:00 am to 4:45 pm

Unfortunately turn out for the tournament was not as large as we initially hoped and projected!

This is due to factors such as: change of venue, change of date, low staff to meet initial demand, lack of staff with chess background, and other miscellaneous factors. This includes some players showing up to our office instead of the venue on the day of the event. We have refunded anyone was has paid in advance and offered free tournaments (with conditions) to players who have went through extreme circumstances as a result of these factors.

Regardless of these conditions. All players who have showed up to the event had a blast and this event was a success! Our main goal was to make sure players were happy and that everyone had a good time. Unfortunately due to the lower turnout we could not provide the initially large projected prize fund. This is not a problem however since the winners were happy regardless! We will be hiring data analyst so we can project more accurate prize funds for subsequent tournaments! We also have taken extreme measures to make sure we do not run into any issues in the future and have used this tournament as a learning experience. This will help us run the best possible tournaments, and serve players with grace!"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X