Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC President

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
    I have been waiting for two or three of our whiners and carpers to step up and offer to help the CFC. I understand that the constant complaints mean that these people know better what should be done. They, of course, have many ideas about how to improve the CFC. They know exactly what has been done and not done, so they would be the most qualified to help the CFC.

Let's see them in action.
    As someone who 'carps' about how the CFC is being run, I DID do something, I was elected as a CFC Governor for BC... even after being warned about chess politics! Expect proposals on the following

- reversing the idiotic raising of tournament fees. Reducing it back to $10 but only allowing a person to use it ONCE per year.

- a rule on Governor activity.

- measures to limit cheating.

Comment

Is there a movement to draft Bob Armstrong for President? Rumor has it there is a draft Neil movement.

Comment

Re : CFC President

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
        I have been waiting for two or three of our whiners and carpers to step up and offer to help the CFC. I understand that the constant complaints mean that these people know better what should be done. They, of course, have many ideas about how to improve the CFC. They know exactly what has been done and not done, so they would be the most qualified to help the CFC.

Let's see them in action.
        I think the question is: how long is it going to take before CFC acknowledges that the webzine adventure is not going anywhere and come up with a credible plan ? That it is not the way to reach out and serve chess players ? In the meantime I don't see how volunteers could be used to help the CFC. It needs professional help... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          Is there a movement to draft Bob Armstrong for President? Rumor has it there is a draft Neil movement.
          Draft Ben, at least the CFC politics would be exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
            I attended the Eastern Ontario Chess Association Annual General Meeting.

Eric was the Secretary. He didn't show up. I believe that was anticipated as he gave prior notice to that effect. Evidently this wasn't unusual as, according to the Executive members who were there, he hadn't shown up for one single meeting that year (I believe they were held roughly every six weeks?). He ran for re-election, if I recall correctly, and lost by a wide margin.

I do not wish this to be construed that Eric did no work as Secretary. I have no idea if he did or didn't.

Aris Marghetis, Kevin Pacey, Tim Bouma and a few others who post here can correct my fact relaying (it is a bit fuzzy as AGMs generally put me to sleep ;-) ), but I am 99% certain I have relayed the main point accurately.

Is attending meetings an essential part of being on an Executive Team? Discuss. ;-)
            Hi Tom,

I normally do not visit the chess talk site, but some of my supporters have been begging me to post here. I just find the wheat to chaff ratio to burdensome.

It would be nice if you actually did some research before you actually made a comment. The facts are that I attended a number of Executive Meetings in the Fall. [Oops, I did not read your apology, Tom. I apologize for this off the cuff comment.]

In the new year I joined the Hull Chess Club and played chess. Aris Marghetis and I had a discussion many times of at least changing the meeting from Tuesday nights to another night that I could make it as in Monday, Wednesday or Friday. Aris made no attempt to change any of the Executive meetings to another night. Fine! I kept in touch on a regular basis. The thing is Aris is so organized that his action lists are so detailed that minutes of Executive meetings became superfluous and redundant.

As for the OCA AGM, I had made it quite clear that I was participating in the Hull Club Chess Championship and if I was out of the running for a cash prize I would show up to the AGM. Again, Aris was given advance notice that I could not show up. He was unwilling to make a compromise.

Be that as it may, they elected a new secretary which is actually good for me.

I was the only EOCA Ontario Chess Association Governor to attend the OCA AGM in Kitchener. I took the minutes and recorded them and sent them to President Chris Mallon and I assume he has published them. I was elected to Secretary of the OCA Executive.

In addition, I chair an OCA Investigation Committee that is investigating the 2006 Canada Closed and the Trillium Fund, both files directly managed alone by Barry Thorvardson. While the Committee will be submitting a full report to the OCA President later this summer, the preliminary report did move the OCA AGM to pass a motion creating a lifetime band that Barry Thorvardson could not be an OCA officer or representative in any way. Thus, Barry Thorvardson cannot be a CFC or an OCA Governor from Ontario, nor an OCA Executive member or officer. This investiation committee was requested very strongly by Garland Best and Aris Marghetis. I was the one that persuaded Chris Mallon to establish the committee.

The EOCA Executive was made well aware that I was running for an Executive position on the OCA and for president of the CFC.

If I recall Tom I phoned you a number of times and left messages on your voicemail and emails to discuss my future plans for the CFC.

You never resplied. I was just a phone call away.

If in the future you have any questions, please contact me before you post.

The opinion of the Executive Members were definitely mistaken regarding factual content. In addition, Bill Doubleday who was Treasurer could not and did not attend many meetings either but he was able to do his job behind the scenes.

Cheers, Eric Van Dusen.
            Last edited by Eric Van Dusen; Monday, 6th July, 2009, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Van Dusen View Post
              ...In addition, I chair an OCA Investigation Committee that is investigating the 2006 Canada Closed and the Trillium Fund, both files directly managed alone by Barry Thorvardson. While the Committee will be submitting a full report to the OCA President later this summer, the preliminary report did move the OCA AGM to pass a motion creating a lifetime band that Barry Thorvardson could not be an OCA officer or representative in any way. Thus, Barry Thorvardson cannot be a CFC or an OCA Governor from Ontario, nor an OCA Executive member or officer. This investiation committee was requested very strongly by Garland Best and Aris Marghetis. I was the one that persuaded Chris Mallon to establish the committee. ...
              Eric, I don't have time to go digging through old threads to find the pertinent posts, but, if I remember correctly, did you not say last fall that the full report on the Trillium fiasco would be made available at the OCA's AGM? And then earlier this year, did you not say that the said report would be made available in July? Now you're talking "later this summer." Will this report ever see the light of day and will it be made available to the general chess-playing public? Enough is enough already. The OCA needs to do something to restore its credibility.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                Eric, I don't have time to go digging through old threads to find the pertinent posts, but, if I remember correctly, did you not say last fall that the full report on the Trillium fiasco would be made available at the OCA's AGM? And then earlier this year, did you not say that the said report would be made available in July? Now you're talking "later this summer." Will this report ever see the light of day and will it be made available to the general chess-playing public? Enough is enough already. The OCA needs to do something to restore its credibility.
                Peter, you are quite correct, but I would like to remind that I am one of three members of the committee. Michael Von Kietz, was a student busy studying, writing essays, and doing final exams. In his report for the OCA AGM he admitted that he was not entirely happy with performance as Secretary of the OCA.

While the investigation of the Trillium Fund has reached a stalemate in that the Barry states that he does not possess said documentation and the Trillium Fund will not release any documentation from the file except the legal agreement signed between the Trillium Fund and the OCA, citing privacy issues.

Michael still needs to interview Hal Bond for recommendations to strengthen the governance structures of the OCA so that no one person with friends from one league can overpower the OCA and do whatever they like.

As for the 2006 Canada Closed it has not been easy at all to track down the money trail. Participants have a fuzzy memory of what they paid. The only documentation that was easy to get was from the CFC records.

I need to interview Dave Gordon as he was on the OCA Executive as well as being CFC Executive Director at the time.

The true purpose of the Investigation Committee is to ascertain facts as best that can be done under the circumstances and more importantly to make recommendations to increase checks and balances.

I have to admit that the one suggestion I made at the OCA that each treasurer of the respective league would have to sign off or perhaps 3 out of 4 to sign off on OCA cheques was considered too bureaucratic, but frankly, it was the ony way I could think of preventing any future person(s) overwhelming the OCA like Barry Thorvardson did.

As for the final report, it will be submitted to the President of the OCA, Chris Mallon. I suppose after that point, the Executive should decide to release it. The report does have to be very careful about slander or libel.

I frankly viewed the deadline imposed at the OCA AGM as unrealistic as I would be at least be spending two weeks in Germany during June representing Canada at the NATO Chess Championship and the first two weeks campaigning for the presidency of the CFC.

I am only one man who is a husband, a father, a chess player and volunteer, but I am hardly a superman.

Cheers, Eric.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Van Dusen View Post

I frankly viewed the deadline imposed at the OCA AGM as unrealistic as I would be at least be spending two weeks in Germany during June representing Canada at the NATO Chess Championship and the first two weeks campaigning for the presidency of the CFC.

I am only one man who is a husband, a father, a chess player and volunteer, but I am hardly a superman.

Cheers, Eric.
                  Eric, thank you for taking the responsibility of the investigation. I understand Peter's frustration (many of us share that and more...)

I am glad to hear that the OCA passed a motion to limit Barry's involvement; I was astounded when he was appointed a CFC Governor as a result of the OCA AGM in June of 2008. This sancstion is only reasonable in my view.

Many things the OCA does or does not do seem to avoid the light - I hope the report will indeed be public - I do not see any way it cannot!

Best of luck with it; I see you are aware of the dangers of libel and the like. Please be as diligent as you can - as I trust you will.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                  X