Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trump - The NEW, New Thread

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
    I consider certain aspects of Judaism as dogma, not the entire religion. I am now finding your posts out of context and sarcastic. i will warn you once not to consider me a target for abuse so that you can save face. Consider yourself warned.
    My intent was not to be sarcastic and I apologize for any offense I may have caused. I have never attacked anyone on this forum unless they directly insulted me first. You have not done so and therefore need not fear an attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      My intent was not to be sarcastic and I apologize for any offense I may have caused. I have never attacked anyone on this forum unless they directly insulted me first. You have not done so and therefore need not fear an attack.
      Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        Zogby's pov is similar to mine. The issue is not Vought's faith. The issue is, can Vought apply himself impartially to the challenges of public office given the manner in which he interprets and applies his faith?
        Answer: Yes.

Given the fact that Wheaton College is a Faith-Based College, termination of a professor because her teachings contravenes the teachings of the college is as justified as the dismissal of a church minister after she declares herself to be an atheist. It isn't a case that the person is considered a bad person because of her beliefs. It's simply that her beliefs disqualify her for that position.

Second, taking Vought's statement as one as intolerance to Islam is completely missing the teachings of the Christian Church, or at least most denominations of the Christian faith. If the rationality is that Vought is intolerant because he believes that Muslims are condemned in the afterlife, then most evangelical Christians and true believers in most denominations are also automatically ineligible for public office.

Comment

Atheism is not an organized religion, but I think it is arguable that strict atheism is a belief system. Atheism believes that god does not exist. One cannot PROVE that god does not exist. Therefore atheism is a matter on faith that there is no god. Only agnostics can truly be considered to have NO religon. They admit that they can't know one way or another.

Comment

Answer: Yes. The question to ask is not "Does your religion teach that your race is superior to others?" the question is "Can you perform your duties in a fair and objective manner, regardless of the race of the person your are dealing with?"

Let's take a more real-world example: gay marriage. If a civil servant who performs civil marriages refuses to marry a gay couple because he believes homosexuality is a sin and therefore gay couples cannot marry, then he should be dismissed because he cannot perform his responsibilities in a fair and objective manner. On the other hand if the same person is happy to marry a gay couple in a civil ceremony but supports his church's position that the same couple cannot be married in his church because his churche teaches homosexuality is a sin and therefore gay people cannot marry, then he should not be dismissed because he is able to perform the duties that he was hired to do.
            Last edited by Garland Best; Saturday, 17th June, 2017, 11:43 AM. Reason: type

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
              Atheism is not an organized religion, but I think it is arguable that strict atheism is a belief system. Atheism believes that god does not exist. One cannot PROVE that god does not exist. Therefore atheism is a matter on faith that there is no god. Only agnostics can truly be considered to have NO religon. They admit that they can't know one way or another.
              In Canadian law although Freedoms not to hold religious beliefs are protected Atheism is not recognized as a religion but as a "creed" which refers to a broader set of beliefs that are not religious in nature. Here is some of the text from a Supreme court ruling in Canada
              “While it is perhaps not possible to define religion precisely, some outer definition is useful since only beliefs, convictions and practices rooted in religion, as opposed to those that are secular, socially based or conscientiously held, are protected by the guarantee of freedom of religion. Defined broadly, religion typically involves a particular and comprehensive system of faith and worship. Religion also tends to involve the belief in a divine, superhuman or controlling power. In essence, religion is about freely and deeply held personal convictions or beliefs connected to an individual’s spiritual faith and integrally linked to one’s self-definition and spiritual fulfillment, the practices of which allow individuals to foster a connection with the divine or with the subject or object of that spiritual faith.”
              This is the article about a separate case in Ontario where the above is quoted.
              http://www.carters.ca/pub/bulletin/c...3/chchlb45.htm
              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Saturday, 17th June, 2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

In saying atheists have no religion, I use this definition of religion:

"the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods."
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Answer: Yes.

Given the fact that Wheaton College is a Faith-Based College, termination of a professor because her teachings contravenes the teachings of the college is as justified as the dismissal of a church minister after she declares herself to be an atheist. It isn't a case that the person is considered a bad person because of her beliefs. It's simply that her beliefs disqualify her for that position.

Second, taking Vought's statement as one as intolerance to Islam is completely missing the teachings of the Christian Church, or at least most denominations of the Christian faith. If the rationality is that Vought is intolerant because he believes that Muslims are condemned in the afterlife, then most evangelical Christians and true believers in most denominations are also automatically ineligible for public office.

I have to agree with Garland's second point. A Christian can believe that another person as a non-believer in Christian faith is condemned by the God of the Bible, and yet can still treat that person with dignity and respect. The Christian should not PERSONALLY condemn the non-believer. After all, the New Testament teaches that at any moment, a non-believer can repent and ask to be saved, and God must comply.

Many Christians, however, take that last point too far and believe they are commanded by God to save as many souls as they can, and that in the Judgment, they will be judged based on how much "work" they did, where "work" means attempts to save souls. Therefore, a reasonable question to ask a candidate for office would be: "Does your religious faith compel you to attempt to bring others outside your faith into your faith?" If the answer is Yes, that person should not be considered for office.

I believe Sanders went too far and that someone believing Muslims are condemned by God is not the same as that someone being Islamophobic.

This entire belief system on eternal condemnation is so illogical. If you are a parent and love your child, you'd have to imagine that you could be happy forever in Heaven even if your child that you love so much is going to burn forever in Hell. Imagine yourself pleading with God after the Judgment to save your child, and God in effect saying "No can do. S/he must suffer forever." And you are supposed to join the choir and sing praises to God......

Jesus may have said "No one comes to the Father but by me".... BUT..... he did NOT to my knowledge say that the only opportunity to do that comes in one's Earthly life. That idea is something that came later during the writing / compilation of the Bible, and it was added with one thought in mind: grow the Church by means of FEAR.

In most Near Death Experience accounts, the soul who has been taken to the other side is given a life review, and the only response I have ever seen in this accounts is the feeling of total shame and remorse for what one has done to others. I believe that this is where we qualify for entrance into God's realm. And I further believe that no one goes through that experience and does not feel such remorse and shame. It is possible that a soul such as Hitler would feel such an abundance of remorse and shame that that soul would ask for and would receive an opportunity to return to Earth and learn some new lessons.
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                    After all, the New Testament teaches that at any moment, a non-believer can repent and ask to be saved, and God must comply.
                    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unforgivable+sin

Class dismissed.

Comment

• Re: Trump - The NEW, New Thread

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

LOL I suppose all Bibles worldwide will need to be recalled. The verse that reads "Whosoever shall believeth on Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life" will need an asterisk....

* except those who have committed the unpardonable sin

But even that isn't a fix, because this is a flaw in the Bible. That verse above seems to indicate that unbelievers are going to perish. No, no, they don't get off that easy, they get cast into a lake of fire where they burn forever. Duh!
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

NEWS HEADLINE: Donald Trump under criticism for tweeting about his approval rating instead of 7 dead U.S. sailors

What do you guys think? Is this a legitimate criticism? Or is it just FAKE NEWS?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                          NEWS HEADLINE: Donald Trump under criticism for tweeting about his approval rating instead of 7 dead U.S. sailors

What do you guys think? Is this a legitimate criticism? Or is it just FAKE NEWS?
                          Fake News, he did tweet about this before tweeting about his approval ratings. He did not retweet about it after the gruesome discovery of where the corpses were.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                            But even that isn't a fix, because this is a flaw in the Bible.
                            Just like Leaky Comey's testimony ... if you're looking for flaws you'll find 'em!

Comment

Senator Who Voted to Protect Bathrooms from Trans People Caught in Hotel with Underage Boy

This sick, twisted individual holds the same transphobic view as Drkulec: that cis girls need to be protected from trans women. Not surprisingly, he is actually a child predator.

Remember, folks: there have been more Republican politicians than trans people arrested for sexual misconduct in bathrooms. Know who the real danger is.
                              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                                Senator Who Voted to Protect Bathrooms from Trans People Caught in Hotel with Underage Boy

This sick, twisted individual holds the same transphobic view as Drkulec: that cis girls need to be protected from trans women. Not surprisingly, he is actually a child predator.

Remember, folks: there have been more Republican politicians than trans people arrested for sexual misconduct in bathrooms. Know who the real danger is.
                                As always Ben is proven a liar (or would it be more accurate to say Ben is a proven liar):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/courtn...b_1521938.html
                                http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/26...erous-offender
                                https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/se...der-to-assault
                                http://theothermccain.com/2015/04/17...rotect-public/

Pronouncements by the mainstream media on any politically charged topic like this or global warming are suspect because like you they have an agenda and have been quoted that they are justified in lying to support that agenda. I don't care if you want to date transgendered people. Go ahead. It is none of my business.

The Bernie Sanders supporter that murdered two people who came to the aid of two Muslim girls when he was harassing them holds the same anti religious views as you and had been known to rail against Muslims, Jews and Christians. Who on Chesstalk fits that anti-religious profile? Gee Ben Daswani.
                                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 20th June, 2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X