IM Noritsyn's appeal to CFC the most important decision in Canadian chess history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IM Noritsyn's appeal to CFC the most important decision in Canadian chess history

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    Cool, Neil, great double meaning for the word "clutch"....
    Street cred! >>> https://www.chess.com/news/view/cont...mpionship-5047

Healing process begins with acknowledgment of wrong doing and the ability to find humor in the darkest moments.

My brain has a mind of its own!
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 24th July, 2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Re: IM Noritsyn's appeal to CFC the most important decision in Canadian chess history

The Executive Director is the employee of the CFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Fifth: CFC President is a job nobody wants.

Dead wrong ... twice in only 8 words, very efficient!

If the majority of the VMs want me to run I'll grab a membership and stand for pres. Some of you reading this post are VMs ... get in touch with your fellow VMs and we'll all meet here on CT.
        Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 24th July, 2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          If the majority of the VMs want me to run I'll grab a membership and stand for pres.
          What, you want a majority of voters to pledge their support in public by posting here, before you even declare whether you are a candidate??

Sounds like a no-lose proposition for you, Neil. But what does the CFC get?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            What, you want a majority of voters to pledge their support in public by posting here, before you even declare whether you are a candidate??

A chance to build a great future ...long lasting ever growing, well beyond you & me, John.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post

Total destruction.

Comment

Too bad that my original post saw the thread go almost immediately off topic from what I had intended, although there are some interesting responses!

The appeal is exceptionally important:
                a) since it involves the outcome of the 2017 Canadian Championship, for prize money, 2017 World Cup participant, and 2018 Olympic team berth;
                b) since it involves a situation for which the rules may not be explicitly clear, meaning implications for the chess world, going forward;
                c) since it involves the reputation of one of Canada's top players, GM Bator Sambuev;
                d) since it involves the reputation of Canadian chess organization, as an entity, on a world level.

Item b) is the most significant. I believe the Rules of Chess, as they are currently written, IMPLICITLY forbid the behaviour shown by GM Sambuev in the decisive blitz game with IM Nikolay Noritsyn, for which video evidence exists. This would fall into the category of 'interference'. But the Rules do not EXPLICITLY state this. It would be next to impossible to explicitly define every conceivable example of interference, so the Rules do not do this, being restricted to a few examples.

My conclusion follows from my interpretation of the Rules, from having studied, and passed the exam, of the FIDE Arbiter's course in 2010, from my half-dozen FA and IA norms (most of which have expired, hence my lack of an international title), from having worked with some of North America's top arbiters, and from my 52 years as a chess player / organizer / director / arbiter / Governor / writer / coach / promoter. I am also drawing on my extensive scientific education and career experience, to bolster the rationale.

I think that everyone should be able to agree that there is NO legitimate purpose, as it pertains to carrying on a game of chess, for either player to touch, hide, or remove his OPPONENT'S captured pieces from view beside the board, while the game is in progress. Nothing in the Rules states any legitimate purpose for a player to have anything to do with his opponent's captured pieces -- that is clear.

Hence, the actions in question, and under appeal, with respect to GM Bator Samuev's conduct of the matter, MUST be illegitimate. He interfered with the game, in a decisive manner, at a crucial juncture.

If these actions were legal, then everybody could do it; that is, hide an opponent's captured piece(s) to prevent promotion (which is a specialized form of substitution) to the piece of choice, at the appropriate game juncture. Chaos would ensue!

Respectfully,
                Frank Dixon :)
                NTD, Kingston

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                  Too bad that my original post saw the thread go almost immediately off topic from what I had intended, although there are some interesting responses!

The appeal is exceptionally important:
                  a) since it involves the outcome of the 2017 Canadian Championship, for prize money, 2017 World Cup participant, and 2018 Olympic team berth;
                  b) since it involves a situation for which the rules may not be explicitly clear, meaning implications for the chess world, going forward;
                  c) since it involves the reputation of one of Canada's top players, GM Bator Sambuev;
                  d) since it involves the reputation of Canadian chess organization, as an entity, on a world level.

Item b) is the most significant. I believe the Rules of Chess, as they are currently written, IMPLICITLY forbid the behaviour shown by GM Sambuev in the decisive blitz game with IM Nikolay Noritsyn, for which video evidence exists. This would fall into the category of 'interference'. But the Rules do not EXPLICITLY state this. It would be next to impossible to explicitly define every conceivable example of interference, so the Rules do not do this, being restricted to a few examples.

My conclusion follows from my interpretation of the Rules, from having studied, and passed the exam, of the FIDE Arbiter's course in 2010, from my half-dozen FA and IA norms (most of which have expired, hence my lack of an international title), from having worked with some of North America's top arbiters, and from my 52 years as a chess player / organizer / director / arbiter / Governor / writer / coach / promoter. I am also drawing on my extensive scientific education and career experience, to bolster the rationale.

I think that everyone should be able to agree that there is NO legitimate purpose, as it pertains to carrying on a game of chess, for either player to touch, hide, or remove his OPPONENT'S captured pieces from view beside the board, while the game is in progress. Nothing in the Rules states any legitimate purpose for a player to have anything to do with his opponent's captured pieces -- that is clear.

Hence, the actions in question, and under appeal, with respect to GM Bator Samuev's conduct of the matter, MUST be illegitimate. He interfered with the game, in a decisive manner, at a crucial juncture.

If these actions were legal, then everybody could do it; that is, hide an opponent's captured piece(s) to prevent promotion (which is a specialized form of substitution) to the piece of choice, at the appropriate game juncture. Chaos would ensue!

Respectfully,
                  Frank Dixon :)
                  NTD, Kingston
                  Frank, you are making a lot of sense (in my opinion) but I think this ship has sailed... I don't see what any sort of "next step" could be?
                  The CFC has accepted the ruling (if you can call it that) from the NAC and I dare say that is that. I do know know if any sort of appeal to the CFC Executive is even possible - nevermind that I believe such an appeal would be instantly rejected anyway. FIDE could care less - my opinion of FIDE is well known (as long as IllusionOf and his cronies are still in charge).

Having said all that rather negative outlook, I think people taking arbitrary pot shots at Bator is something that should not be tolerated; in hindsight I am sure a lot of people would prefer a different course of events than what happened, but it is what it is.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Kerry, thanks for the positive feedback. GM Sambuev chose his actions. Insofar as what happens next with this fascinating case, stay tuned! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      ...Trump isn't just one person. Trump is a movement, a paradigm shift in the wrong direction, and THAT is how he is like Hitler. You are relying on polls to tell you things are ok.... but the polls are wrong, many people are simply lying.

As evidence of this, here's something that happened today....

GLEN JEAN, W.Va. (AP) — President Donald Trump on Monday jokingly threatened during a speech to thousands of Boy Scouts to fire his health secretary if a crucial vote to repeal "Obamacare" fails.

During a speech unlike any most of the crowd had heard at a Scout function before, Trump mixed a traditional message to Scouts of encouragement about loyalty, service to others and never giving up, with mentions of fake news, former President Barack Obama, a replay of how Trump won the election, fake polls, and how Washington is a swamp, or even worse "a cesspool or sewer." Some in the crowd broke into chants of "USA, USA."

He uses a speech to Boy Scouts to get everyone emotional about "fake news". More like Hitler every day.
                      Only the rushing is heard...
                      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                      X