Two scenario groups where GM Sambuev's strategy couldn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two scenario groups where GM Sambuev's strategy couldn't work

There are two popular and common chess scenario groups where GM Sambuev's strategy of hiding an opponent's potential promotion pieces couldn't work:

1) Correspondence chess, whether the moves are relayed by messenger, mail, radio, telegram, telegraph, telex, television, email, or simple transfer exchange of moves between the players. In these scenarios, the players are NEVER at the same place, looking at the same board, playing the same move. Hence, hiding an opponent's potential promotion pieces simply couldn't work.

2) Server chess, where the players meet across an online server platform. Typically, members and / or guests log in to a server website, of which there are many on the internet, and indicate their interest in playing a game. An opponent is selected by the server, the game begins, and continues as each player types in moves on computers linked with the server. With piece promotion handled by the server, and the pieces never actually physically present anywhere (their images are on the screens of the players, along with being stored by the server), hiding an opponent's potential promotion pieces would be ineffective.

These are important cases to document, since the Rules of Chess apply in ALL scenarios.

Re: Two scenario groups where GM Sambuev's strategy couldn't work

You know it's also OK to let it go at some point...

Comment

Is this thread some sort of satire? Why did you go into such detail? The explanation of server chess was surreal.
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I see the central theme here as assessing proper context for what happened in Montreal, not only for deeper understanding of the incident itself, and the motivation for it, but for assessing the Rules of Chess inadequacies, if any exist. A virtual lifetime as an organizer will do that to anyone! Hence, the multiple and varied forms by which chess can be contested were presented, as if to a novice. My scientific background also prompted me to seek a structural context for the situation, such as when creating new mathematics and the settings in which it can then be utilized. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
          I see the central theme here as assessing proper context for what happened in Montreal, not only for deeper understanding of the incident itself, and the motivation for it, but for assessing the Rules of Chess inadequacies, if any exist. A virtual lifetime as an organizer will do that to anyone! Hence, the multiple and varied forms by which chess can be contested were presented, as if to a novice. My scientific background also prompted me to seek a structural context for the situation, such as when creating new mathematics and the settings in which it can then be utilized. :)
          For goodness sake, give it a rest!
          Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
            You know it's also OK to let it go at some point...
            Agreed. It's time to move on !!

Comment

Some people like to feel important and need an audience to confirm how clever they are.

Comment

Working...
              X