To our friends at the CFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To our friends at the CFC

may I make a suggestion...the FQE indicates on the crosstable list of events, the number of players. I thought this was a great feature, so I asked our IT fellow to do the same...it was done within minutes...so can we do that on the CFC site too please?

Go to this link to see what I mean:

This is the way we do it at the Chessèn Math Association: https://chess-math.org/tournaments-rated-list

or this the way the Quebec Chess Federation does it: http://fqechecs.qc.ca/cotes/tournois/listes

Our Festival St-Denis event which ended Sunday evening is already FQE rated...pretty awesome!

Larry

Re: To our friends at the CFC

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    may I make a suggestion...the FQE indicates on the crosstable list of events, the number of players. I thought this was a great feature, so I asked our IT fellow to do the same...it was done within minutes...so can we do that on the CFC site too please?

Go to this link to see what I mean:

This is the way we do it at the Chessèn Math Association: https://chess-math.org/tournaments-rated-list

or this the way the Quebec Chess Federation does it: http://fqechecs.qc.ca/cotes/tournois/listes

Our Festival St-Denis event which ended Sunday evening is already FQE rated...pretty awesome!

Larry
    There are a number of things that we might change with our lists and queries, but this stuff all seems to be locked down (at least as far as I can tell). I have to admit this was a "mistake" on our part (being at the mercy of the contractors to make any changes like this).

Do you know when the next CMA rating update will be ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      There are a number of things that we might change with our lists and queries, but this stuff all seems to be locked down (at least as far as I can tell). I have to admit this was a "mistake" on our part (being at the mercy of the contractors to make any changes like this).

Hi Fred,

We usually update ratings at CMA twice a week.

However, our ratings guy, Christian Lacasse, is on vacation from July 22 - Aug 6 so the updated list will appear shortly thereafter. In the old days at CMA, there was no such thing as holidays :).

Larry

Comment

It's super easy peasy, Fred. I have no idea what you mean "locked down"?

Either go the casual no code route (which I don't like*) as CMA does and put number of players into the same <td></td> tag (table data) as that of the tournament's Name.

CMA example:
        <td>Ottawa Summer Camp 2017 #1 - Drew Metcalfe - Chess'N Math Association / Association Échecs et Maths (Ottawa, ON) - 10 players</td>

*I don't like it because, a) it's separate data and deserves its own column b) CMA site is built on a 12 column grid (bootstrap?) ... super easy front-end stuff to work with!

FQE created their tables the better way:
        <thead>
        <tr>
        <th width="2%"></th>
        <th class="tournoi-nom" width="26%">Tournoi</th>
        <th class="tournoi-ville" width="12%">Ville</th>
        <th class="tournoi-org" width="25%">Organisateur</th>
        <th class="tournoi-arbitre" width="17%">Arbitre</th>
        <th class="tournoi-sec" width="3%">Sec</th>
        <th class="tournoi-type" width="3%">Type</th>
        <th class="tournoi-nbj" width="3%">Nb<br>Jrs</th>
        <th class="tournoi-date" width="9%">Terminé<br>Coté</th>
        </tr>
        </thead>

-------------------------------------------------

Either way, for the CFC, it is super easy to achieve, just depends on your perspective.

And of course, the ability of the president to get 'er done ;)
        Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 1st August, 2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

What does it mean? Though can you create queries?
          Should not be difficult who knows - the last row in the tournament crosstable gives the last player's place. Somehow transfer that on the crosstable page as a total number of players.
          http://www.chess.ca/crosstable
          http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?tourn...mber=201707045

Comment

but this stuff all seems to be locked down (at least as far as I can tell)......
            ?????? My understanding is you have your own server on which is hosted a MySQL database version of the CFC ratings database. How can the data possibly not be accessible to any programmer with the relevant passwords?

Comment

They lost the Password(s).

They're not "locked down" ... they're locked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                How can the data possibly not be accessible to any programmer with the relevant passwords?
                Of course the data is accessible to a programmer with the relevant passwords.
                The critical word here is programmer! Fred and I are not programmers.
                What Fred means by "locked down" is that we would need some programming to make this minor cosmetic change.
                Why would be bother doing this minor cosmetic change with so many more urgent matters.
                Nice poke Larry! :(

I would remind everyone our rating software was written in 1996.
                It is 21 years old. You don't spend money tweaking it.
                If you want to spend money on programming, let's create a whole new rating software package.
                Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 1st August, 2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob G., as a quick fix ... when you create a new entry in the Recent Tournaments List...

...simply comment beside the tournament's name the # of players (perhaps come up with an abbreviated text). That's how CMA does it. No programming skill required.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                    Hi Bob G., as a quick fix ... when you create a new entry in the Recent Tournaments List...

...simply comment beside the tournament's name the # of players (perhaps come up with an abbreviated text). That's how CMA does it. No programming skill required.
                    Neil, I would rather develop ways of increasing efficiency in the office. Typing the number of players as part of the tournament heading for each entry is ridiculous. If you want to know how many players, just click on the event.

Comment

If you want to serious increase efficiency in the office look no further than having a simple automated process to concurrently update all Ratings, Cross Tables & Recent Tournaments list ...including the new data column showing the number of players ... why the number of players matters I have no idea, beyond data brain candy? I happen to enjoy data brain candy!

I have no idea how you receive your submitted cross tables ... various ways? Including hand written?

To start the process ... cross tables should be submitted via an online CFC cross table submission form. When the fields of the form have been correctly completed ... all other tables such as the Ratings and Recent Tournaments will be automatically updated using a simple JavaScript or two.

So, Bob G., no matter where you are in the world (perhaps sitting on the beach in Cancun) all you have to do is check your email. If you have an alert from the CFC Data Center check to see what's pending for your approval. If no red flags show, such as incorrectly filled out cross table form fields, non-payment, etc., upload the new data. Player's ratings, cross tables & recent tournament list all done ... without you having to enter a single character!

Welcome to the new millennium! Welcome to my CFC presidency!
                      Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 2nd August, 2017, 02:13 AM.

Comment

....So, Bob G., no matter where you are in the world (perhaps sitting on the beach in Cancun)....

They didn't put any salt on my margarita glass.... I specifically asked for salt on my margarita glass....

Be careful folks.... rumor has it Bob uses a Red Swingline stapler.
                        Last edited by Paul Bonham; Wednesday, 2nd August, 2017, 02:18 AM.
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I have no idea how you receive your submitted cross tables ...
                          That's true. But Neil, we have already automated the process beyond what you describe.
                          In fact, what you describe is so 20th century! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                            That's true. But Neil, we have already automated the process beyond what you describe.
                            In fact, what you describe is so 20th century! :)
                            Good to read ... all though I'm cautious to believe you.

Pray tell, how does the data flow happen/proceed? And what exactly gets automatically updated from the time an org fills out the online CFC cross table form? PayPal transactions too, I hope.

So why did you comment this...

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                            Typing the number of players as part of the tournament heading for each entry is ridiculous. If you want to know how many players, just click on the event.
                            ...what percent of your time do waste entering data? You seem to suggest that you still manually enter data.

Thanks!
                            Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 2nd August, 2017, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                              They didn't put any salt on my margarita glass.... I specifically asked for salt on my margarita glass....

Be careful folks.... rumor has it Bob uses a Red Swingline stapler.
                              Hey Paul, one of my favourite movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqxjRzzGn8k

Comment

Working...
                              X