Neil Frarey and the CFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Frarey and the CFC

I've decided to start a brand new thread so that we can consolidate everything about Neil and his goals for Chess in Canada here. A more private person might get an e-mail from me, but Neil, it seems you don't mind living out loud this way so here goes.

1) Assuming you are serious about any of this, I think you have made a smart move by looking at other ways you can help other than running for President. If you can deliver what you say you can, the Presidency will come to you in due course.

2) We presently have an Officer position - Public Relations Coordinator. It is elected at the AGM. Nobody has filled this since Bob Armstrong about 3 years ago. In order to run you have to be a CFC member. If you win this generally uncontested position you automatically become a Voting Member. Informally I don't see why it couldn't have a jazzier name. This is not a position on the Board of Directors (Executive). Another option would be to run for one of those positions (one or more could tie into your goal for the CFC).

3) I suppose we could have a free trial tournament pass. This is something the Directors could likely approve pending agreement from the voting members. There is a huge chance for abuse with this, all someone has to do in a big city is try it out at every club. For that reason, I would suggest we work with the existing tournament pass and see if it can be tweaked.

4) At least Bob and the incoming President would have to give some thought to the data access. If you are looking for names and addresses or names and e-mail addresses there could be some privacy issues there. However, I'm sure we could work something out to get the bulk e-mails to the section of the demographic you are working with (people about to expire, people expired in the past year, people living near upcoming big events or tournaments)

5) As for marketing, obviously the Directors have to at least agree the brand is acceptable. I would think you would be given the "green" light to distribute the brand as you see fit (other than being associated with possible certain subjects like alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, etc) .

Neil, consider me your friend. The above may be too much of a concession from you, but it could work.

Re: Neil Frarey and the CFC

Thanks for your effort and your thoughts, Fred. I'm humbled.

1. I thought as much too.

2. My only reservation about grabbing the PR title, it doesn't carry any weight.

3. Just early thoughts on how the TTP (Trial Tournament Pass) would roll out:

When a player wants to receive a tournament pass they would send me an email. I respond requesting their vitals ... name, birth, address, email and pass those onto Bob G.. We send them a TTP via email ... they print it out and take it to an event.

Some conditions on using the TTP:

1) Player must be register in the event no later than one week, perhaps two weeks before the event. This allows time for the org to confirm player's vitals.
    2) TD/Org validates the TTP by simply writting their initials directly on the TTP. Two validations and the TTP is expired. TD/Org has the authority to reject any 'tampered' TTP.
    3) Player not eligible for prizes.

Netflix, Amazon, etc., all experience some form of abuse of free trial offers. Abuse is part of the system. Our ROI is hopefully realized in the transition of 'x' number of players into full membership. But at the very least, we gain valuable data.

4. Data access is key, but I fully understand privacy issues. Doable.

5. Doable.

Thanks again, Fred.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
      Thanks for your effort and your thoughts, Fred. I'm humbled.

1. I thought as much too.

2. My only reservation about grabbing the PR title, it doesn't carry any weight.

3. Just early thoughts on how the TTP (Trial Tournament Pass) would roll out:

When a player wants to receive a tournament pass they would send me an email. I respond requesting their vitals ... name, birth, address, email and pass those onto Bob G.. We send them a TTP via email ... they print it out and take it to an event.

Some conditions on using the TTP:

1) Player must be register in the event no later than one week, perhaps two weeks before the event. This allows time for the org to confirm player's vitals.
      2) TD/Org validates the TTP by simply writting their initials directly on the TTP. Two validations and the TTP is expired. TD/Org has the authority to reject any 'tampered' TTP.
      3) Player not eligible for prizes.

Netflix, Amazon, etc., all experience some form of abuse of free trial offers. Abuse is part of the system. Our ROI is hopefully realized in the transition of 'x' number of players into full membership. But at the very least, we gain valuable data.

4. Data access is key, but I fully understand privacy issues. Doable.

5. Doable.

Thanks again, Fred.
      Maybe we hire you for $1 and you can pick your own title.

Comment

I'll be happy to pay for a 1 year membership for Neil.

Comment

Neil Frarey Could not get my vote as president he is not my kinda go to guy. Good luck with your ideas but I will not support them.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
            Neil Frarey Could not get my vote as president he is not my kinda go to guy. Good luck with your ideas but I will not support them.
            John. I think Neil has more or less confirmed in this thread he won't run for President in 2017. He does seem willing to discuss a possible role for himself in the CFC.

Comment

Sorry Fred McKim, there is no "Neil Frarey and the CFC".

Neil has not been a CFC member for years.

Any involvement Neil Frarey had with organized chess and the CFC was before 2007 to the best of my recollection.

I do not see him and his level of effort as a productive way forward for anyone interested in promoting chess or the CFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post

Neil has not been a CFC member for years.

Any involvement Neil Frarey had with organized chess and the CFC was before 2007 to the best of my recollection.

I do not see him and his level of effort as a productive way forward for anyone interested in promoting chess or the CFC.
                Thanks Halldor for your comment. I hold in high regard the work you've done for the CFC since I first met you years ago. While Neil is a very polarizing figure, he may have some skill sets we're lacking. Remember to always tread carefully (I mean this for all of us).

Comment

It's fantastic to read dissenting comments, thanks! I value those comments more than I should ...and no, I'm not being sarcastic. It was the major lesson I learnt whilst America was opened up to me and my creativity.

So, since we're going at it ... here is another great idea to snub your collective noses at :)

I'll open up a fresh dialogue with the Canadian Government ...endgame, Chess formally recognized by Canadian Heritage.

Begin on two fronts:

Public:
                  Challenge the PM to a couple of games of chess (present a pair of chess socks!) ...games to be played in front or within the Peace Tower!

Private:
                  Build contacts within Canadian Heritage to discuss the vital role chess has played throughout the history of Canada.

Okay, okay ... enuff of the good stuff! I want to read more dissenting comments ...

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                    ....Challenge the PM to a couple of games of chess (present a pair of chess socks!) ...games to be played in front or within the Peace Tower! ...

To fully familiarize the PM with the state of chess in Canada, you should make sure that the game you play against him gets down to the last few seconds on his clock, and you let him promote a Pawn.... but you are holding his captured Queen in your hand under the table.... no extra Queens available, and the arbiter should be from the opposition party....
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

FUNNY!

But, I'm not going to play the PM, I'll present the socks though. I was hoping that the RACC would want to showcase a talented Junior.

Not saying I'd lose, OK? Stronger optics with Junior talent.

Perhaps the Junior could clutch captured pieces!?
                      Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 3rd August, 2017, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Esports is becoming bigger every day. Everybody knows that people who are into esports are nerds, and people who play chess are also nerds. Do you think that you could use this to your advantage to tap into such an enormous market, and bring some esports nerds into chess?

Comment

Somehow I like the sound of 'geeks' better than 'nerds'. Also, fwiw, decades ago I came up with my own concept of 'chess groupie', at least applicable to those who hang around chess players. :)
                          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                            Esports is becoming bigger every day. Everybody knows that people who are into esports are nerds, and people who play chess are also nerds. Do you think that you could use this to your advantage to tap into such an enormous market, and bring some esports nerds into chess?
                            Interesting idea Lucas. Are you referring to CFC OTB chess? It would be great data to know the % of Canadian eSport participants who also play chess!!! Find a way to get that survey done and then find a point of access to those eSport players themselves. Tap into that data group by offering the TTP [Trial Tournament Pass] for OTB chess ... on the wings of an in-your-face aggressive graphic campaign challenge.

And as for using eSport methodology; on a certain level Chess should be player-focused (rather than game-focused). I'm sure you've noticed that yourself. I've used that tactic before. Sell the sizzle ... don't sell the steak. Esport is also high intensity visuals. I did some first person shooter graphics a few years back and it was intense stuff. The HUDs and FUIs I did was equal to that of Call of Duty ...and so too was the logo!

http://graphicdeclaration.com/images...megunsight.jpg

So, I think intensity is also a key.

Here's an interesting thread from chess dot com:
                            https://www.chess.com/blog/Chakrabor...ss-amp-esports

Riot News
                            https://www.riotgames.com/news
                            https://www.riotgames.com/

BTW, quick check..

unitednationofnerds.com

...is available!
                            Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 3rd August, 2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
                              Au contaire... it's just as real as 'Bennie and the Jets'.

Or...

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. :D
                              Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                              Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
                              X