Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conclusion of Noritsyn vs NAC Appeal

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    On Chesstalk, I have as much right to express my opinion as anyone else.
    I do not agree with you, Vlad. As a long-time CFC president you could do a better service for Canadian chess, if you at least limit your involvement in different not-chess related topics (racism, Trump).

Also, permanent discussion about FIDE election which happened 3 (!) years ago, doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
      I do not agree with you, Vlad. As a long-time CFC president you could do a better service for Canadian chess, if you at least limit your involvement in different not-chess related topics (racism, Trump).

Also, permanent discussion about FIDE election which happened 3 (!) years ago, doesn't help.
      Where's the CFC's missing $60,000.00? Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, president of FIDE, he's still there!

Has a letter of protest been sent? A letter of inquiry? Anything? How do you brush off $60,000.00???

Long-time CFC president, indeed!
      Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 21st August, 2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        This is why I don't read Neil and occasionally think about leaving chesstalk behind forever. For Neil to actually run he'll have to become a CFC member. Hard to believe that this is such a barrier. Much like Bonham he's all talk and no action. Big hat. No cattle. There is a reason why the IA's who study the rules of chess on a somewhat continuous basis believe one way and those who don't study the rules believe something else. When I was annoyed with a decision of the CFC board, I got involved and became the masters representative. I reasoned that if I left all the decisions to the then governors and executive and didn't contribute anything to CFC governance then I had no right to complain if the decisions went differently from what I thought was optimal. On Chesstalk, I have as much right to express my opinion as anyone else.
        While I agree with much of what you say, I must disagree with you on one VERY BIG point. You do have the right to say what you want on ChessSquawk just like everybody else. But you are the president of the CFC and thus you *represent* the CFC whenever you post. If the president of the CFC wants to argue about Trump, Clinton, or whomever, there are plenty of other boards to do it on. But ChessSquawk is nominally a CHESS board. You frequently do a disservice to the CFC with your non-Chess posts, whether you want to admit it or not.

Steve

Comment

Agree completely.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
            While I agree with much of what you say, I must disagree with you on one VERY BIG point. You do have the right to say what you want on ChessSquawk just like everybody else. But you are the president of the CFC and thus you *represent* the CFC whenever you post. If the president of the CFC wants to argue about Trump, Clinton, or whomever, there are plenty of other boards to do it on. But ChessSquawk is nominally a CHESS board. You frequently do a disservice to the CFC with your non-Chess posts, whether you want to admit it or not.

Steve
            I couldn't agree more with you, Steve. At the recent NBCA (New Brunswick Chess Association) AGM, I was asked if I would like to serve as a CFC Voting Member for the province, and posts such as Vlad's by the president of the CFC made me very hesitant to affiliate myself with the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              I'm sorry it ended this way for you, Nikolay. I think you were treated really unfairly from start to finish. I hope there's some justice in the universe and that the scales tip back your way soon.
              I agree with this. I think the reason the discussion is so heated is that while we can argue about technicalities and rules, duties of the arbiters, players responsibilities etc..., clearly to most reasonable people, justice was not done in this case. And that is why the decision was so upsetting

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                If I recall correctly, Neil said he wouldn't run unless a majority of the voting members endorsed his campaign BEFORE he actually threw his hat into the ring.
                How's that working out for him?

Comment

I will keep that in mind Victor. I respect your opinion. I appreciate everything you do for the CFC. I don't think I am the one bringing up the FIDE election over and over.

Comment

Does the blitz game 1 video from playoffs available to view online? Scoresheet?

There are two videos available of the game 2. None of the game 1?

Comment

The "crystal-clear" FIDE law that was breached by Bator was 11.5. Cause and effect. If Nikolay's queen had been where it was supposed to have been, he grabs his queen and the game proceeds normally. Why should Nikolay have been expected, with mere seconds left on his clock, to remedy his opponent's 'mistake' and the arbiter's incompetence? And speaking of crystal-clear, where is the crystal-clear explanation from the NAC or the CFC as to why 11.5 was rejected by them? I haven't seen it. Have you?
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        The "crystal-clear" FIDE law that was breached by Bator was 11.5. Cause and effect. If Nikolay's queen had been where it was supposed to have been, he grabs his queen and the game proceeds normally. Why should Nikolay have been expected, with mere seconds left on his clock, to remedy his opponent's 'mistake' and the arbiter's incompetence? And speaking of crystal-clear, where is the crystal-clear explanation from the NAC or the CFC as to why 11.5 was rejected by them? I haven't seen it. Have you?
                        I want to specifically comment on the part I have placed in bold. Is this actually a clear-cut case of incompetence? It is certainly not ideal, but I am not convinced that failing to supply an extra queen rises to the level of incompetence. It appears to be an isolated error. Canada doesn't have a lot of active IAs and slamming someone repeatedly for making a mistake is not likely to encourage people to try to become one.

I mostly blame the fiasco on the idea of holding blitz games to determine a national champion. Garbage chess produces garbage results.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                          I want to specifically comment on the part I have placed in bold. Is this actually a clear-cut case of incompetence? It is certainly not ideal, but I am not convinced that failing to supply an extra queen rises to the level of incompetence. It appears to be an isolated error. Canada doesn't have a lot of active IAs and slamming someone repeatedly for making a mistake is not likely to encourage people to try to become one.

I mostly blame the fiasco on the idea of holding blitz games to determine a national champion. Garbage chess produces garbage results.
                          I agree that holding blitz or armageddon games to determine a national champion is the main source of all the problems.
                          However, I wonder if it is possible to only be slightly incompetent? That seems like slightly pregnant...

The arbiter had one job that included making sure queens (at least) were available and I realize there was a lot going on, but the bottom line was that Nikolay was driven into an untenable situation through no fault of his own. If it was not his fault, that leaves Sambuev and the arbiters and perhaps the guy who serves coffee at the snack bar.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            I agree that holding blitz or armageddon games to determine a national champion is the main source of all the problems.
                            However, I wonder if it is possible to only be slightly incompetent? That seems like slightly pregnant...

The arbiter had one job that included making sure queens (at least) were available and I realize there was a lot going on, but the bottom line was that Nikolay was driven into an untenable situation through no fault of his own. If it was not his fault, that leaves Sambuev and the arbiters and perhaps the guy who serves coffee at the snack bar.
                            One can make a mistake, be at fault, and not be incompetent. Chess players do it all the time. ;-)
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post

One game which was potentially for ALL the marbles: the title of Canadian champion on the line; a trip to the knockout world championship on the line; a potential spot on the Olympiad team on the line. The tournament director for such an important occasion?: an International Arbiter, fully accredited by FIDE. And what happened? More than not providing an extra pair of queens at the outset of the game; e.g.: http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...653#post116653

You classify the IA's performance however you like, Tom. I'll do the same.
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

In St. Louis, in the Ultimate Move Championship last week, an illegal move by promoting a pawn to a queen incorrectly has happened 3 times over the history of the tournament! It happened this year in the 6th game of the match, but the offending side was lost anyway. One of the 3 times was done by Topalov. One might argue that the punishment does not fit the crime.

Comment

Working...
                                X