Phil Haley 1924-2017 R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phil Haley 1924-2017 R.I.P.

Some excellent posts! I do wish to add one fact, and make some observations and suggestions.

The detailed, fine obituary does omit the fact that Phil Haley held the FIDE title of International Arbiter (IA); he was one of the first Canadians to attain this highest arbiter title. :)

It is a real shame that Phil was not nominated for, and awarded, the Order of Canada, for his contributions to Canadian and world chess. Unfortunately, it is too late now; this award is granted only to living Canadians. The CFC is remiss on this; it needs to focus much more on ideas and strategies for projecting Canadian chess achievements into the wider spectrum of national life. Phil's enormous contributions in chess presented an unrealized opportunity to do this.

So far as I know, GM/IA Daniel Yanofsky was the only prominent Canadian chess person honoured with the Order of Canada.

That said, there are six Canadian chess people whom I know, and know of -- IM Lawrence Day (born 1949), IA/FM/GMC Jonathan Berry (born 1953), IA Larry Bevand (born 1953), GM Kevin Spraggett (born 1954), IM/GMC Jean Hebert (born 1957), and IA/IO Hal Bond (born 1959) -- all with very high chess achievements, outstanding contributions over many generations, and solid reputations, who deserve the Order of Canada right now. The CFC needs to strike a Committee right away, to make this happen over the years ahead.

Respectfully,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      Some excellent posts! I do wish to add one fact, and make some observations and suggestions.

The detailed, fine obituary does omit the fact that Phil Haley held the FIDE title of International Arbiter (IA); he was one of the first Canadians to attain this highest arbiter title. :)

It is a real shame that Phil was not nominated for, and awarded, the Order of Canada, for his contributions to Canadian and world chess. Unfortunately, it is too late now; this award is granted only to living Canadians. The CFC is remiss on this; it needs to focus much more on ideas and strategies for projecting Canadian chess achievements into the wider spectrum of national life. Phil's enormous contributions in chess presented an unrealized opportunity to do this.

So far as I know, GM/IA Daniel Yanofsky was the only prominent Canadian chess person honoured with the Order of Canada.

That said, there are six Canadian chess people whom I know, and know of -- IM Lawrence Day (born 1949), IA/FM/GMC Jonathan Berry (born 1953), IA Larry Bevand (born 1953), GM Kevin Spraggett (born 1954), IM/GMC Jean Hebert (born 1957), and IA/IO Hal Bond (born 1959) -- all with very high chess achievements, outstanding contributions over many generations, and solid reputations, who deserve the Order of Canada right now. The CFC needs to strike a Committee right away, to make this happen over the years ahead.

Respectfully,
      Frank Dixon
      NTD, Kingston
      GM Duncan Suttles is worthy of this list also.

Comment

A true gentleman. He will be deeply missed.

Comment

I did not know personally Phil Haley, only read about him. During the 2010 Canadian Open I took this picture of two Canadian milestones of international chess.

R.I.P.

Comment

Very sad to hear of Phil's passing. Condolences to Betty-June and family. I met Phil at my first Canadian Open and shared many conversations with him at subsequent Canadian Opens. Phil was always the first I sought out for clarity on FIDE rules and matters and opinions on chess situations. He always provided clarity and accuracy. He was a Canadian chess icon and one of the last who personally knew Mr. Prentice and Bernard Freedman. It feels like the end of an era.

Comment

Thanks, Sid, for adding GM/GMC Duncan Suttles (born 1945). I would add as well IM/IMC Dr. Zvonko Vranesic (born 1937).

Comment

We are talking about the Order of Canada....right?

Abe Yanofski had a rather broad contribution to Canada in civic and legal circles, quite apart from his chess achievements. Without denigrating those people you all name, I rather doubt they come close.
                Fred Harvey

Comment

Wasn't Kevin Spraggett awarded the Order of Canada after he made it to the Candidates matches? I recall that he met then Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                    Wasn't Kevin Spraggett awarded the Order of Canada after he made it to the Candidates matches? I recall that he met then Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.
                    While he certainly met Mulroney, there is a well-thumbed picture in the chess "annals", there was no award of any nature.
                    Fred Harvey

Comment

Today, the FIDE Arbiters' Commission put on its front page "In Memoriam Phil Haley", signed by the Chairman and complete with a very moving photo.

Comment

Larry Bevand captured that moment. The photo of he and former PM Mulroney appeared on issue #89 of En Passant.

Couldn't find anything of GM Sraggett over at gg.ca

Comment

"FIDE regret to announce the passing of Honorary Member Philip Haley of Canada, who was very active in FIDE for over thirty years. We send our condolences to his wife, Betty-June, who attended many Congresses with her husband, and the rest of his family."

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...lip-haley.html

Comment

This is very sad news!

I did not post on this thread until now as I needed some time...he is one of 3 individuals in Canadian chess that I totally admire! Phil has always been a big supporter of myself and Chess'n Math within the CFC...sort of a lone wolf! I had the pleasure of visiting Phil and his wife at their home a few years ago...

this is what I wrote on this site:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...ighlight=haley

Larry

Comment

Working...
                            X