Juniors misbehaving at Tournament's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Juniors misbehaving at Tournament's

But does the CMA organize events like you guys do in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, etc? Or run chess classes?

Of course, I never meant to imply that the CMA has no involvement in BC chess. I know that the CMA rates tournaments in BC; after all, not too long ago I was playing in these events and eagerly awaiting rating update day so I could see how many points I'd gained or lost. :) However, especially when compared to the CMA's involvement in other cities' junior chess scenes, would you really describe the CMA as being "active" in BC?
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

No, the CMA does not have a physical presence in B.C. but we do have excellent folks who run scholastic events in every province in Canada. At the present time Maxim and Michael are doing a great job in Vancouver. A couple of decades ago Chess'n Math was hoping to open a bricks & Mortar operation in Vancouver but alas that project never materialized. Since that time, Maxim came along and did a better job there than we ever could have!

So to your question, yes we are active in B.C. in the same way the CFC is active in B.C. or the USCF is in Washington State...and with the maybe even more :).

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
        The way Roger describes it is how the current process is implemented, and consistent with Gordon's post.

When I was club president I used to interview the kids, play a game or two against them if they had no rating. Gordon gently ribbed me that the criteria was if they could beat me they were in, and that this standard kept getting easier to pass.
        I was, and still am, glad to have crushed such a growth inhibitor as the RACC's 14 and 14 rule!

And no Garland, I don't expect any thanks for improving the life blood of the RACC.

Seeing the good old boys getting crushed by a pre-teen is more than enough for me ... lol! ... :)

Comment

Hi Larry, is it possible for CMA to do a Banff Open email ad to your BC & AB juniors? I'll do the graphics.

It'd be great to target that chess demographic.

Comment

Thanks to the Vancouver Chess School, there has been a surge in junior participation in BC tournaments over the past 5-10 years.
            Mainland tournaments average 60-70% juniors, Victoria somewhat less. Washington State's numbers are similar to Vancouver.
            Many of the juniors travel to all the tournaments. It has been nothing less than the salvation of chess in BC.
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hello,

The Hart House Holidays Open just took place. We had about 75 juniors, several of them quite young.
              I heard from the staff that there was a single complaint from a Hart House member, about kids being loud and running around.
              At that point, a couple of staff members did ask some kids to slow and quiet down.
              Were there kids being loud? Yes.
              Were there kids running around? Definitely.

I had a chat with building security and other staff and those two points were confirmed, though I already knew it.
              There was nobody actively pestered, there was no property damaged, there was no harmful behavior at all.
              Several juniors were running around playing tag.
              The only concern, realistically, was the possibility of someone rushing and tumbling down a flight of stairs and hurting themselves. Luckily that didn't happen.

There was plenty of space and most kids seem to have enjoyed it. They were kids, being kids. I believe that, so long as the building and other people are respected, that this is not an issue.
              Some places around the house, such as a very spacious library, remained intact from kids' invasion and there was no shortage of space there for anyone who may have decided to read or quietly study.
              At Hart House we are spoiled in this regard, but I can fully appreciate how not all sites have this luxury. We also generally run our tournaments when there are few or no other events going on in the building at the same time. That won't always be the case and we may yet experience some conflicts in the future, but hopefully not.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

The behaviour of players and spectators at a chess tournament is covered by Article 11 of the FIDE Handbook, and the penalties that may be applied by arbiters are covered in Article 12. A player who has finished his/her game but remains in the tournament hall is considered to be a spectator.

Comment

Re : Juniors misbehaving at Tournament's

I feel uneasy when I see a thread like this one, especially when it becomes longer and heavier. Is is possible (I stress the word POSSIBLE) that some of the posters here are disgrunted old men hating children?

Comment

Re: Re : Juniors misbehaving at Tournament's

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
                    I feel uneasy when I see a thread like this one, especially when it becomes longer and heavier. Is is possible (I stress the word POSSIBLE) that some of the posters here are disgrunted old men hating children?
                    Some are but most aren't.

Kids will be kids. We have to guide them as to what acceptable behavior is at chess tournaments and within clubs. Some of the problematic kids in Windsor went on to become some of the strongest players. In the beginners classes it was pretty easy. If you misbehaved you couldn't play a game with the instructor that week.

Comment

I do not think this problem will get solved until organizers start issuing time outs and 0 point byes after misbehaved children have been asked to stop and they do not.

Comment

Working...
                      X