Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golden Horseshoe Chess Championship - June 2-3, 2018

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
    Good point that you have raised up. We have 180+ players at the moment. Half of them are in lower section ( U750/1000/1250 ) where the entry fee are $ 45 and $ 65 ( early bird ) and not $ 100 and no doubt the prize money for the lower section are lower as well. We may increase the prize money depending on the final number of entries and also the total revenue BUT $ 7,400 is the minimum amount which we guarantee as prize money.
    This is the question I'm asking. The tournament starts in two days and I would assume you have a reasonable idea by now whether or not the prizes will be increased. I should clarify however - I'm well aware given the players participating that my chances of winning any prize are vanishingly small so this isn't really that self involved. I'm just curious since the collected entries seems vastly in excess of the posted prize pool.

Please take note that it is not easy to host a tournament in a big hotel where the rent of the venue is much higher than other venue/tournaments. We are taking a big risk in running a good weekend tournament and hope all the participants/future participants understand our stand. Please do not think that we are making huge amount of money.
    I'm well aware of the challenges in organizing big tournaments and appreciate you taking the initial risk in deciding to run this event. However, at this point, the risk is determined and your event looks like it will be a great success.

However, please also be aware that anyone coming to this tournament is incurring significant costs as well. Something in the range of $100 for entry, $50 or so for a CFC membership, $150 for a hotel room even at the special tournament rate - it adds up quickly.

For example, for the upcoming Kitchener Team tournament, we are sponsoring 4 teams ( all entry fee and lunch provided ) to play in the team tournament. This is just one of the example. Better prize money in future tournaments are of course is another form. We keep improvising and make it better for all chess players/parents.
    With all due respect, I don't care about any of this in relation to considering whether or not to play in the tournament this weekend.

By the way, have you sign up yet ?

Still on the fence - not sure I am ready to pay my old rating points forward to the next generation just yet :) I appreciate your responses.

Comment

Latest Updates - June 1, 2018

A couple more players signed up late last night bringing the total number of players to almost 190. With some withdrawals, we still have more than 180 players.

I think we will beat our Oakville figure of 181 players.

Last call to sign up today.

https://elevatemychess.com/golden-ho...-championship/

Onsite registration close at 9AM tomorrow at Sandman Signature Hotel. Round 1 starts at 10AM.

IA from Montreal arriving today. Going to site later today.

Cheers

Gary Hua

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
        Is there an update to the expected prizes? The current one shows $7400 prize pool, and you have (as you say) nearly 200 entrants at about $100 each.
        I have not seen a chess tournament with an unconditionally posted guaranteed prizes increased or upgraded. Once, an unconditionally guaranteed prizes got posted, that's it and that's all. Whether it will be less or well attended, the cash prizes remain the same. It's a big risk an organizer is more than willing to gamble. AFAIK, I have not seen a chess tournament with an upgraded or increased guaranteed prizes.
        Last edited by Ferdinand Supsup; Friday, 1st June, 2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

We keep improvising and make it better for all chess players/parents.
          Gary and Co: great that you've entered the chess scene with weekend tournaments. It praises even more when you're making more than one in a year.
          I only wish that dates would be announced as early as possible to plan accordingly :)

As for prizes: in Aurora we post them on the second day. Nobody has complained yet openly, thus we assume that it's not the highest priority for players too.
          Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 1st June, 2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Gary and Co: great that you've entered the chess scene with weekend tournaments. It praises even more when you're making more than one in a year.
            I only wish that dates would be announced as early as possible to plan accordingly :)

>>We will finalize our 2019 tournaments soon and roll them out in the next 2 - weeks. Maybe same time for 2020.

As for prizes: in Aurora we post them on the second day. Nobody has complained yet openly, thus we assume that it's not the highest priority for players too.
            >>We want to make it different from other organizers and that is why we announce the prize money when we advertise the tournament. The prize money " DOES NOT" depend on the entry fee collected ie it is one of the expenses and not after all expenses ( left over ). We want the player to know what they will win before they register for the tournament begins. Of course this is a risk to the organizer and we hope that the players will appreciate our efforts for making it more transparent and better for them to make their decision. As regards to increasing the prize money, it is up to the organizer to increase the guaranteed prize money.

On another note, we have our 190th sign up this morning.

All registered players do not need to come at 9AM. Pairings should be ready by 9.45AM and we will make a couple of announcements before round 1 begins at 10AM.

ONSITE registration close at 9AM sharp.
            Last edited by Gary Hua; Friday, 1st June, 2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

>>We want to make it different from other organizers and that is why we announce the prize money when we advertise the tournament. The prize money " DOES NOT" depend on the entry fee collected ie it is one of the expenses and not after all expenses ( left over ). We want the player to know what they will win before they register for the tournament begins. Of course this is a risk to the organizer and we hope that the players will appreciate our efforts for making it more transparent and better for them to make their decision. As regards to increasing the prize money, it is up to the organizer to increase the guaranteed prize money.
              No doubt about this. I'm just asking for what that decision is. If the answer is "the prizes are the prizes, the expenses are the expenses, and whatever's left over is the organizer's profit for a job well done", there's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                No doubt about this. I'm just asking for what that decision is. If the answer is "the prizes are the prizes, the expenses are the expenses, and whatever's left over is the organizer's profit for a job well done", there's nothing wrong with that.
                We will come to that after the tournament begins. At this point, we are not sure if we will increase the prize fund. Until the tournament begins ( # players confirmed ), the guaranteed prize fund stands.
                Last edited by Gary Hua; Friday, 1st June, 2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Almost ready to host.....we have set up for 200-220 players.

Beautiful venue and very comfortable in a nice big hotel. Denny restaurant in the hotel making it very convenient for lunch and dinner and also midnight buffet. A big skittle room. Just had dinner there just now.

Please take note that the venue is on second floor.

We are still receiving entries as i write.

Will we reach 200 players ?

We shall see from now till morning if there is any last minute entries !!!

See you guys tomorrow

Cheers for Chess in Canada

Gary Hua

EMC

Comment

Thanks for all your effort, see you soon

Comment

Chess results

http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=can

Check out your names as per chess results

Total players registered - 193 players and 10 withdrawals

Net 183 players

See you soon and good luck to all participants

Gary Hua
                      Last edited by Gary Hua; Saturday, 2nd June, 2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

On last count, we had 184 players which beats our Oakville figure of 181 players.

- Great playing hall and 3 live games ( excellent set up by deputy arbiter Mikhail Egorov )

- Round 4 will see the 2 GMs playing each other ( top 2 seeds )

- Round 1 started at about 10.15AM (round 1 normally starts late ) and subsequent rounds started on time. Excellent run by IA Danny Goldenberg

- Round 4 starts at 10AM. Dont be late

- All results can be accessed in chess results

http://chess-results.com/tnr358300.aspx?lan=1&art=4

Good luck to all in the last two rounds

Watch out for our continuing live games and especially round 4 board 1.

https://forum.chesstalk.com/showthre...hip-live-games

Gary Hua

EMC
                        Last edited by Gary Hua; Sunday, 3rd June, 2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

A summary of the tournament will be ready tonight / tomorrow.

As expected, the top 3 players (GM Bator Sambuev, GM Razvan Preotu and IM Tomas Krnan dominated and won the top 3 prizes. The juniors have to work harder next time.

Results on the Chess results.

Cheers

Gary

Comment

I hesitate to postt on Chesstalk but I think Gary and his team at ElevateMyChess deserve a round of applause for a great event. Other than a late start Saturday (to be expected I guess), the tournament was a success. The venue was excellent (better than the church in previous Mississauga events) with easy access to the 401 and several eating options in the immediate area. I thought the hiring of an arbiter who also was a great move and I thought he also did a great job. I registered in late April so my entry fee may have been lower than the on site fee but I think the fee was in line with other tournaments in the GTA. For those players who exist in the atmosphere around 2000 and above I am sure having multiple GMs and other titled players was also a bonus.

I look forward to the next ElevateMyChess tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahul Gangolli View Post
                              I hesitate to postt on Chesstalk but I think Gary and his team at ElevateMyChess deserve a round of applause for a great event. Other than a late start Saturday (to be expected I guess), the tournament was a success. The venue was excellent (better than the church in previous Mississauga events) with easy access to the 401 and several eating options in the immediate area. I thought the hiring of an arbiter who also was a great move and I thought he also did a great job. I registered in late April so my entry fee may have been lower than the on site fee but I think the fee was in line with other tournaments in the GTA. For those players who exist in the atmosphere around 2000 and above I am sure having multiple GMs and other titled players was also a bonus.

I look forward to the next ElevateMyChess tournament.
                              Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your kind feedback. We will definitely strive make the net one better.

Cheers
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X