Anyone know what Peter is talking about below in regards to labour day Open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what Peter is talking about below in regards to labour day Open?

I would like someone to clarify. Has the whole Labour Day tournament been moved from the old Site Macedonian hall where its been run for like 10yrs or so? Or is this a conflicting tournament date? And if it is a conflicting tournament my question to Peter Bokhout is why?

Regards

Sheldon

Re: Anyone know what Peter is talking about below in regards to labour day Open?

It's been run there since at least 1991. It did have to be moved one year a few years ago. Maybe this is the same case? He has used the official title of the tournament.

Comment

Re: Anyone know what Peter is talking about below in regards to labour day Open?

Hi Zeljko,

I want sure exactly how long the tournament has been running for, thanks for the correction. I wasn't aware that it has been running for 18yrs. But I spoke with Randy Moysoski (Spelling?) At the last tournament at Hart House and he told me it was going to be at the Macedonian Hall early September. That was about two weeks ago..... Im not sure why anybody would want to try and split the turnouts especially since the Labour day at the Macedonian has been a long standing tradition. I think ive played in about 5 of them. Maybe he didn't know about the Labour Day at the Macedonian, but then again who from The Toronto Area hasnt heard of this tournament?

regards

Sheldon

Comment

I am rooming at the Canadian Open with Alex Ferreira, who has been helping Bryan on the organizing side of a number of recent Toronto tournaments. I'll ask him to contact Bryan and find out what is going on.

And maybe Peter could come back and post to advise us of the background and details of his announcement.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for helping. Hope all is well and that your are having a good time.

regards

Sheldon

Comment

Bump Bump.....

Comment

Hi Sheldon;
              Well I know one thing Peter has no good track record for organizing a great Tournament that I know of. I don't think his turn out will be that great. However if he is posting those Prize funds he better not guarantee as he'll lose his shirt.
              Then again with a low turn out maybe this is the tourney to attend as the competition may not be that strong and it may be some easy cash. Food for thought?
              Oh sorry I was looking at this as a greedy so and so not a chess player who plays for the good of chess and not for the cash.

Comment

I was not aware of the Toronto Labour Day Open running anywhere, as I had not seen any advertising about it. However, I will gladly drop out of the running if other arrangements have been made (as they seem to have been).

Consider the Tartu College site dead! Chances are that the Macedonian Hall will cost less in rent, anyway. Peter

Comment

Peter;
                  I'd suspect that Tartu would be cheaper due to less playing space.

Not sure why you had not contacted Bryan Lamb though, as he has been the TD for the Labour Day for a few years.
                  Or at least posted an inquiry here first.

I'm very happy that you stepped forward and posted a Toronto Labour Day.

It shows you want Toronto Chess and The Labour Day Open to continue.:)
                  If Bryan had been unable to make Macedonian happen I would have come to your event as it would have taken me less time on the TTC. Plus I have only missed 3 that I recall of Toronto Labour Days since my first in 1973 at Varsity Arena.

One suggestion: If you can get the Tartu on a regular basis then why not run some Junior or minor tournaments there. It will keep Chess in the Toronto Downtown area competing and growing stronger. Hey the Juniors are the future of Chess everywhere. Maybe you can get an event for Yuanling Yuan to help her increase her chess at the Library level. You could run the event for Juniors and have a portion of entry go towards her Library program.
                  Hey playing for big money at the Junior Level is not always the key.
                  What the key is to expose parents and Juniors to chess. They like trophies to show off, otherwise soccer and baseball and hockey teams would die fast.
                  Thanks for thinking about Chess and Toronto Downtown Chess as well.

Comment

If you want Tartu as a regular event location pay them more & have less for the prize fund, pay them at least as much per day as the Macedonian Hall is paid, something like $300 to $400/day but you'd have to check that figure, $100/day as some tried is just going to get you bumped to the cafeteria again when they can book a wedding for the main hall.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                      Hi Sheldon;
                      Then again with a low turn out maybe this is the tourney to attend as the competition may not be that strong and it may be some easy cash. Food for thought?
                      Oh sorry I was looking at this as a greedy so and so not a chess player who plays for the good of chess and not for the cash.
                      Hi John,

Not sure how to interpret your messageabove, are you trying to say something? At one point you say he hasnt ran any good tournaments that youve played in. Then you go on to tell him that you would play in one of his tournaments?!

Comment

Only if Labour Day was Canceled by Bryan Lamb. I think that is there in the fine print. If Peter had tried to run a tournament against Bryan I think he'd have lost his shirt. But I like playing in Downtown Toronto.

Comment

2009 Toronto Labour Day + Thanksgiving Re: Anyone know Peter is talking about labour

2009 Toronto Labour Day

Open Chess Tournament

September 5th, 6th & 7th (Sat, Sun & Mon)

Macedonian Community Hall

76 Overlea Blvd Toronto

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...u=lB0sv&ref=mf

Style: 6 round Swiss in 5 sections:

OPEN (w/ U2300 -- FIDE-rated), U2200, U2000, U1800, U1600 (w/ U1400 & UNR)

Rounds: 11:00AM & 5:30PM on Saturday, 10:00AM and 4:30PM on Sunday & Monday

Time Control: 40/2, SD/1

Byes: Maximum of 2 in rounds 1-5

Entry Fees: $75 if payment is received in advance

$80 if registered in advance but paying onsite

$90 cash only onsite

AMATEUR: $30 Adult, $25 Junior (under 20) (for U1800 and U1600 only)

(Amateur entries not eligible for cash prizes & do not contribute to prize fund)

Discount 1: $20 less for Juniors (under 20), Seniors (60 and older), Women, and FMs.

$30 less for Juniors (under 12), and IMs. Free entry for GMs.

No discount for Amateur players; only one discount per player.

Discount 2: $5 discount per tournament to play in both Labour Day and Thanksgiving Open.

This discount applies to all players.

Registrants after 10:30AM are not guaranteed to be paired by 11:00AM

In advance by mail to: Bryan Lamb 95 Ferncliffe Crescent, Markham ON L3S4N6

Make cheque payable to Bryan Lamb. No postdated cheque please.

Email registration to bryan.lamb@rogers.com. Email registrants who haven’t paid must arrive onsite before 10:30AM to pay or will be charged the onsite fee.

Email Money Transfer also accepted. Please send to bryan.lamb@rogers.com

Deadline for advance registration: September 4th at 9:00PM.

Membership: CFC membership must be current. Renewal and tournament membership payments accepted onsite prior to playing.

PRIZES: $7,000

(Based on 150 non-amateur players or 70 %)

1st place in Open Section - Prize of $1,000 Guaranteed!

Open
                          U2300
                          U2200
                          U2000
                          U1800
                          U1600
                          U1400
                          UNR

1st
                          $1,000
                          $400
                          $400
                          $400
                          $400
                          $300
                          $300
                          $100

2nd
                          $700
                          $250
                          $250
                          $250
                          $250
                          $200
                          $200

3rd
                          $500
                          $150
                          $150
                          $150
                          $150
                          $100
                          $100

4th
                          $300

Open section prizes based on entire tournament.

Unrated players may only play for Open prizes or Unrated prize in U1600 section.

Other Info: No Smoking. Please bring Chess Sets and Clocks.

Organizer & TD: Bryan Lamb [905.554.4548 or 416.904.5938] bryan.lamb@rogers.com
                          ------------------------------------------------------------

2009 Toronto Thanksgiving

Open Chess Tournament

October 10th, 11th & 12th (Sat, Sun & Mon)

Macedonian Community Hall, 76 Overlea Blvd Toronto

Style: 6 round Swiss in 5 sections:

OPEN (w/ U2300 -- FIDE-rated), U2200, U2000, U1800, U1600 (w/ U1400 & UNR)

Rounds: 11:00AM & 5:30PM on Saturday, 10:00AM and 4:30PM on Sunday & Monday

Time Control: 40/2, SD/1

Byes: Maximum of 2 in rounds 1-5

Entry Fees: $75 if payment is received in advance

$80 if registered in advance but paying onsite

$90 cash only onsite

AMATEUR: $30 Adult, $25 Junior (under 20) (for U1800 and U1600 only)

(Amateur entries not eligible for cash prizes and do not contribute to prize fund)

Discount 1: $20 less for Juniors (under 20), Seniors (60 and older), Women, and FMs.

$30 less for Juniors (under 12), and IMs. Free entry for GMs.

No discount for Amateur players; only one discount per player.

Discount 2: $5 discount per tournament to play in both Labour Day and Thanksgiving Open.

This discount applies to all players.

Registrants after 10:30AM are not guaranteed to be paired by 11:00AM

In advance by mail to: Bryan Lamb 95 Ferncliffe Crescent, Markham ON L3S4N6

Make cheque payable to Bryan Lamb. No postdated cheque please.

Email registration to bryan.lamb@rogers.com. Email registrants who haven’t paid must arrive onsite before 10:30AM to pay or will be charged the onsite fee.

Email Money Transfer also accepted. Please send to bryan.lamb@rogers.com

Deadline for advance registration: October 9th at 9:00PM.

Membership: CFC membership must be current. Renewal and tournament membership payments accepted onsite prior to playing.

PRIZES: $7,000

(Based on 150 non-amateur players or 70 %)

1st place in Open Section - Prize of $1,000 Guaranteed!

Open
                          U2300
                          U2200
                          U2000
                          U1800
                          U1600
                          U1400
                          UNR

1st
                          $1,000
                          $400
                          $400
                          $400
                          $400
                          $300
                          $300
                          $100

2nd
                          $700
                          $250
                          $250
                          $250
                          $250
                          $200
                          $200

3rd
                          $500
                          $150
                          $150
                          $150
                          $150
                          $100
                          $100

4th
                          $300

Open section prizes based on entire tournament.

Unrated players may only play for Open prizes or Unrated prize in U1600 section.

Other Info: No Smoking. Please bring Chess Sets and Clocks.

Organizer & TD: Bryan Lamb [905.554.4548 or 416.904.5938] bryan.lamb@rogers.com

Comment

Working...
                          X