Canadian GM's the next generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian GM's the next generation

I recently sent a note to the Live Chess Ratings people asking why Anton Kovalyov was dropped from the top 100 active ratings update.
    They were courteous to send a reply. >>>>>
    https://ratings.fide.com/individual_...iod=2018-06-01
    It seems Anton lost 9 points at the Chicago Open droping him to 2651 and just below the cut-off for the top 100. And now with Evgeny Bareev inactive for two years, we have no active player in the top 100.
    May I suggest a remedy? If there should appear a sponsor for a Canadians Quad tournament with >>>>>

Evgeny Bareev & any three of the following >>>>

Anton Kovalyov
    Eric Hansen
    Aman Hambleton
    Razvan Preotu
    Nikolay Noritsyn
    ........ contingent on Bareev being available and any three of the above 'juniors' who accept.
    This would be excellent training for our next generation of young GM's
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Saturday, 2nd June, 2018, 12:19 PM.

Re: Canadian GM's the next generation

If the aim is to get our young GMs extra training why not run something like the St. Louis Chess Classic A and B. Obviously prize money is an issue but the A section was very strong and provided GM norm possibilities along with the B section also providing possible IM/GM norms as well. If I recall that tournament had the lowest rated player at 2600. But a similar 10 player round robin with avg rating around 2550 could easily be done with above mentioned GMs.

Comment

Thank you for your input John,
      On ChessTalk there is no shortage of people suggesting what kind of tournament someone else should organize. I'm amazed that it took over 300 reads of my post above for the first suggestion to appear.
      It would indeed be great if Canada had a sponsor on the level of that for the St Louis Chess Centre - someone who could pledge millions of dollars to establish a centre and fund tournaments.
      Perhaps you have a source of funding in mind for a 10 player round-robin. In which case you have my best wishes for success.
      If you go back and read my post, you will see that my aim was to re-activate GM Bareev and to give GM Kovalyov a chance to return to the Top 100 ratings, while at the same time give a few deserving young GM's a chance to prove themselves.
      I also have direct and good contact with everyone on my proposed list and I expect I could get a prompt confirmation from the desired players provided the sponsorship were found - say $10,000 for prizes and $5,000 for other expenses.
      I know that the sponsorship is attainable as for example, there was a direct offer to sponsor a Hansen-Sambuev match with a $10,000 pledge. Other similar amounts were spent on a number of tournaments in Canada.
      Any sponsor out there interested in my proposal can contact me by email <vladdobrich@gmail,com>
      Further dialog on this topic would be most welcome.
      Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Wednesday, 6th June, 2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

And of course if all six GM's on the list agreed to play then a way would be found to accommodate all six in a double round-robin. I started with the idea that not all would be available on the same dates and we could go with a 4 - player dbl round-robin

Comment

Did the $10,000 Sambuev-Hansen match take place?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
            Did the $10,000 Sambuev-Hansen match take place?
            It never took place, although Eric was in favour of it - or a chess-boxing match.

https://forum.chesstalk.com/showthre...-Sambuev-match.

Comment

Like I said, I know funding and prize money would be an issue. What about crowd funding? That can be a good place to start. Once it’s started it could grow organically from there.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nguyen View Post
                Like I said, I know funding and prize money would be an issue. What about crowd funding? That can be a good place to start. Once it’s started it could grow organically from there.

Yes, John, funding and prize money are always a problem.
                Now if you would explain what you mean by 'crowd funding' and how does funding 'grow organically'? Are these terms only familiar to a generation that I am not part of? Am I the only one here who does not know what these terms mean?

Comment

And example of crowdfunding would be a go fund me page.

Comment

Thanks to a donor who wishes to stay anonymous, we now have a pledge for ............

$1,000

Any additional pledges can be made to my email <vladdobrich@gmail.com> any amount is welcome and an updated total will be posted here periodically. If and when the total reaches $10,000 I will contact all pledges to transfer the amount pledged by interac. The tournament will be FIDE rated so we will need a certified TD acceptable to FIDE - and even volunteer TD services would be a welcome pledge Otherwise I hope to raise additional funds for TD, accommodation for out-of-town players etc. I would try to obtain a free tournament venue (Hart House?).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      And example of crowdfunding would be a go fund me page.
                      Not being familiar with either crowdfunding or 'fund me page', perhaps someone (John Nguyen?) would volunteer to initiate this means to raise funds for this project.

I look forward to hearing from any volunteers. Please note, I will not be claiming a fee as organizer - all money raised will go to prizes, and player and tournament costs.

Vlad Dobrich
                      Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Thursday, 7th June, 2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Another way to raise some funds would be to have a few places in such tournaments open for players who qualify. You could run a grand prix series of tournaments that are already being held around the province like the Ontario open, the Aurora tournaments, Ottawa tournament's and kitchener tournaments. Take a players best 4 results in these tournaments. Charge a player $10 to $20 extra to have the result included in their score for a qualification spot. Have that money go directly to the GM tournament and the local organization also gets increased attendance with no hit to their bottom line.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion.
                          If you scroll back to one of my earliest posts on this thread you will see :

"On ChessTalk there is no shortage of people suggesting what kind of tournament someone else should organize."

Please feel free to organize events as you see fit. I am no longer active in organizing and directing chess tournaments.

Comment

Working...
                          X