the last tournament with adjournments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the last tournament with adjournments?

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    with adjournments after five hours of play :)
    What was the last (probably "well-known", "high-profile") tournament with adjournments?

Re: the last tournament with adjournments?

Hi Egis:

Long time ago that I remember adjournments - believe it was 1972 at the CNE that I last had an adjournment.

I understand that one of the clubs in Halifax still uses adjournaments for their regular tournaments !! Got that from Alvah Mayo.

Bob

Comment

Not sure for 'regular' tournaments, but the last world championship and olympiad to use adjournments were both in 1996. The Canadian Closed in 1996 had a sudden death final time control, but that seems to have been a result of site availability rather than a conscious desire to avoid adjournments. Geurt Gijssen had some comments about the changing time controls in one of his earliest ChessCafe columns, http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt02.pdf

Comment

I'm sure this doesn't count, but one round of the North Bay IO 1999 was adjourned on account of darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
          darkness.
          The ultimate self-sacrifice of a raccoon against an electrical transformer plunged half of North Bay into darkness. I was there when the lights went out. Or was I?

Lawrence Day immediately offered his opponent a draw, which was accepted.

Comment

The last important tournament with adjournments

May 23, 2017

(Wikipedia) - With the advent of strong chess playing computer programs, which can be used to analyze adjourned positions, most tournaments have abandoned adjourning games in favor of shorter time controls. The first World Chess Championship not to use adjournments was the Classical World Chess Championship 1995, while the last one to use adjournments was the FIDE World Chess Championship 1996.

1995 Kasparov-Anand 10.5-7.5

1996 Karpov-Kamsky 10.5-7.5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjournment_(games)

Comment

Working...
            X