Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess Clubs & CFC Revenue

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
    what it will offer is a cheap place to play. Right now the CFC offers absolutely nothing to the casual player. How do you sell sell memberships when there isnt any reason to join? a membership to the CFC cost less per year than an ICC membership ($60/yr) so It might entice people to play on a CFC server instead and the only way to play on the CFC server would be to Join the CFC. Just think of the possibilities of clubs across the country playing in teams against each other...
    I've been railing for an online server for a year or more. There are lots of chess players in Canada. It's just that they aren't at clubs and tournaments. They are on the internet.

The masters have a Masters Representative.
    The youths have a Youth Coordinator.
    The patsers pay the bills.

That people think a server would be for competition with ICC or other servers is an indication those who write that don't understand the reality. The reality is all the CFC has to do is break even and gain membership share. Making money from a server would be a benefit and should be attainable by running server events.

Now I must run. I have some moves to make on the correspondence online server.

Yours in the sport,
    Hi-Tech Gary :)
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Starting up (and maintaining) a server isn't cheap. You have to attract people to it (and keep them) with incentives. You must pay strong players to be on it regularly. You must pay administrators to manage questions and complaints, and technical people to keep the hardware/software up to date. People won't play if there are just a few people on at a given time. They know they can always get a game on ICC or Playchess, but would be reluctant to try a new server. Could a CFC server attract thousands of (paying) players?

Look at the number of chess servers which have folded or merged in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Starting up (and maintaining) a server isn't cheap. You have to attract people to it (and keep them) with incentives. You must pay strong players to be on it regularly. You must pay administrators to manage questions and complaints, and technical people to keep the hardware/software up to date. People won't play if there are just a few people on at a given time. They know they can always get a game on ICC or Playchess, but would be reluctant to try a new server. Could a CFC server attract thousands of (paying) players?

Look at the number of chess servers which have folded or merged in the last few years.
        First, one has to understand a CFC server would be owned by the CFC. A registered charity. Merging or folding wouldn't be on the table. I assume the reason you are seeing servers merge or fold is because they can't make money. The CFC wants to gain members and become a bigger player in Canadian Chess. Now they have to play catchup. It's necessary to decide what the server would be used for, what kind of events they want to run and the fee they want to charge for prize events. It's not out of the realm of possibility foreigners would join the CFC for the server play.

Starting up a server isn't cheap. I think you could "outsource" a server project and get it done for less cost than in Canada. They would need to know exactly what they want so it could be written into the program.

With the ICCF they have a volunteer help desk (I worked that for awhile), the unpaid TD's are authorized to load events onto the server and direct them and there are lots of other unpaid volunteers around the world.

I don't understand the Canadian mindset of being paid for everything they do no matter how small. I did work for the ICCF for free for years. Almost a decade. Lots of times I didn't even bother sending in my postage and stationary receipts for reimbursement. I guess most would consider me stupid for not holding out for pay but I enjoyed it.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Who says that the casual players cannot get their games rated? The Weston Chess club ran for years using the Postal Chess Club rating calculations. It was not until the likes of myself, Frank Thiele and Sam Sharpe convinced the Weston Club to become CFC connected. At one time the Weston Chess Club was the second biggest CFC club in the GTA and we were running a Junior chess club on Saturdays as well. The Weston Chess club made 50 years in 1996. Once we stopped running CFC events the club folded. So converting to a CFC run club does work but you have to keep running it that way.
          I would say that there are very few CFC rated chess clubs out there and I believe that the Brampton Chess Club is won of those clubs.
          First you have to get your club keyed into any rating system so that the members can see how their performances are improving and then you have to show them that joining the CFC can give them a better way of improving by playing in tournaments.
          Until this happens, you will see no increase of attracting memberships from the local chess clubs.
          What the CFC will never do is support any club whether CFC or not and until the CFC supports all clubs to promote chess for the goodness of chess first then do not expect any local club support the CFC.
          Make up your minds at the AGM in Montreal and fix the mistakes of the past.
          Make Chess promotion the #1 priority and then clean up your acts so that you can get more members.
          You have lost my membership for I year anyway so how many more will tumble away?
          John R. Brown

Comment

Working...
          X