Canadian Closed website at MonRoi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Closed website at MonRoi

The official tournament website for the Canadian Closed can be found in this link.

http://monroi.com/2009-canadian-clos...ship-home.html

I don't know if this means there will be live games during the tournament, but I am assuming that pairings and results at the very least will be available.

Hal, would this be correct?

Re: Canadian Closed website at MonRoi, Guerzhoy

Hey Tony

Yes you have it right. We will share the games aqap, and keep the Mon Roi site updated. This is a year of lean means and we appreciate Mon Roi's help.

By the way, Guerzhoy has joined the hunt.

Last First CFC Rating FIDE Rating

Bluvshtein, GM Mark 2634 2558
    Samsonkin, IM Artium 2612 2403
    Porper, IM Edward 2556 2448
    Krnan Tomas 2534 2439
    Noritsyn, IM Nikolay 2534 2381
    Guerzhoy Leonid 2524 2409
    Panjwani, FM Raja 2472 2350
    Thavandiran, FM Shiyam 2464 2291
    Hebert, IM Jean 2442 2399
    Tayar, FM Jonathan 2436 2342
    Livshits, IM Ron 2416 2332
    Divljan Igor 2412 2290
    Sapozhnikov Roman 2348 2177
    Kaminski Victor 2334 2268
    Martchenko Alex 2300 2039
    Vincent Trevor 2290 0
    Henry Liam 2280 2186
    Haessel, FM Dale 2276 2204
    Casareno Erwin 2264 0
    Calugar Arthur 2262 2072
    Jiang Louie 2252 2250
    MacKinnon Keith 2251 2148
    Qin Joey 2240 2140
    Hambleton Aman 2234 2052
    Arsenault Nicolas 2229 2161
    Me Kevin 2188 2145
    Kaminski Thomas 2183 2088
    Humphreys Michael 2169 1999
    Jung, FM Hans 2140 2132

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      Is it a new spelling?

Comment

Hi Hal,

Looks like a great tournament, .

Just a few of notes:
        - IM Samsonkin's first name is spelled "Artiom". There are two different spellings used on the website.
        - Tomas Krnan is an IM (this is corrected on the official website, just not on your chesstalk list).
        - The website, although it mentions Edmonton (thank you!) doesn't say which city or province the tournament is being held in. As a westerner, I looked up "University of Guelph" on google, and figured it out. Previously, I thought that there were only three cities in Ontario: Toronto, Ottawa and Kapuskasing :)

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
        Bluvshtein, GM Mark 2634 2558
        Samsonkin, IM Artium 2612 2403
        Porper, IM Edward 2556 2448
        Krnan Tomas 2534 2439

Comment

Re: Canadian Closed website at MonRoi

Previously, I thought that there were only three cities in Ontario: Toronto, Ottawa and Kapuskasing
          How could you forget the fourth one - Pickle Crow :)

Comment

Guelph is located nearby Toronto, not that far away (on western side).
            :)

Comment

Hmmm, I'm having trouble naming another chess country in the world that has it's national championship decided by an open event. From the best countries to the worst they seem to run round-robins. The US is a closed 24 player swiss in case people are wondering. It seems Canada is in a very very small minority. What's preventing us from running an actual "closed" again? I remember when I played in 2006 I was the lowest rated and it was a great learning experience but I honestly didn't belong in a National Championship. What is it that we are lacking that almost everyone else in the world has? I'd be interested to know of any other countries that are a bit behind like Canada (or you could say we are ahead ).

Comment

I'd be interested to know of any other countries that are a bit behind like Canada (or you could say we are ahead ).
                The British Championship is open to any Commonwealth citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  Is it a Zonal where the winner goes to the World Championship playdowns? I think that's what this Canadian Closed is.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Tony
                    I tried the Mon Roi site but everything games,results are under construction.
                    Have you got any scores yet. Like who is winning?

Comment

Yes you're right, hmmm. To me It seems more like the equivalent of their Canadian Open rather than a Closed, except England doesn't have its own "English Closed". But I don't think it's a zonal and also not really a one country championship like we're comparing to ( by fide definition, at least). Looks like foreigners were starting to win the British Championships so they changed their policy. Now it is "Championship events – open only to British Isles subjects or players resident therein for the past year, or those with British Overseas Dependent Territories Citizenship."

Comment

It might be the Spanish spelling. Ge... in Spanish = Khe... in English. To keep the G hard, they insert a u. So guerra is pronounced gay-rra. If they actually want to pronounce the u sound, they add a diresis (umlaut, two dots) over the u. So güero is pronounced goo-AY-ro.

Gerzhoy recently played in Brazil, where they speak Portuguese not Spanish, but maybe similar spelling rules apply. Maybe. I don't speak Portuguese.

Or maybe he did change the spelling of his name ...!?

First round today, August 8th.

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        Is it a new spelling?
                        Originally Posted by Hal Bond

Comment

But "Championship events – open only to British Isles subjects or players resident therein for the past year, or those with British Overseas Dependent Territories Citizenship. "

http://www.britishchess09.com/main_events_09.htm

The Commonwealth Citizen thingie went out the door just before you stopped noticing players from India take so many top prizes. It's history.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                            It seems Canada is in a very very small minority.
                            A non-exhaustive perusal of TWIC for the last year seems to indicate there are a fair number of Swiss events; I would estimate the round robins only outnumber the Swisses by a two to one margin. Those countries whose national championships use a Swiss format include Austria, Australia, Britain, Denmark, Germany, Israel, Norway, Scotland, Switzerland, Ukraine, and of course Canada. There are also at least three countries which use a knockout format.

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                            What's preventing us from running an actual "closed" again?
                            In a word, money.

Comment

It is 3:00 p.m. right now and there is no pairing listed on the website for the round one, not saying about live games transmission.
                              :(

Comment

Working...
                              X