Markham Open Oct 5-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markham Open Oct 5-7

We hear you, Toronto Open, people were on summer vacation and missed the early bird deadline, now it's extended to Sep 9.

Early bird price ends on Sep 9

And we got sponsor to provide two slices pizza for each player on Saturday and Sunday

$7000 prizes (based on 200 paid registrations)

When: Oct 5-7, 2018

Where: Bill Hogarth Secondary School, Markham
    100 Donald Sim Ave, Markham, ON L6B 0R1

Format
    5 Rounds Swiss. CFC membership is required
    CFC rated & FIDE rated for Championship and U-2200.
    CFC rated for U1800, U1400, Junior U1000 and Junior U700
    Time Controls

1.5 hrs + 30 secs increment – All Sections

Registration

Free registration for GMs, WGMs, IMs and WIMs till the end of Sep 30
    50% discount for FMs and WFMs till the end of Sep 30

Early bird price till the end of Sep 9,
    Sep 10-27, regular price
    Sep 28 - Oct 3 late payment applied

Notes:
    Players are responsible for providing their chess equipment, players who do not bring equipment are not guaranteed to play in round 1
    Unrated player cannot win more than $100;
    No refunds from Oct 1. Cancellation fee $20 prior to Oct 1.
    Up to two 1/2 byes allowed for round 1-3, the byes must be requested in advance.

https://www.canadachess.ca/markham-open-registration/
    Last edited by Grey Guo; Sunday, 2nd September, 2018, 11:57 PM.

Comment

That's the same weekend as the $20,000 Varennes tournament near Montreal which has been announced frequently on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        That's the same weekend as the $20,000 Varennes tournament near Montreal which has been announced frequently on this site.
        Thanksgiving weekend is usually a tough sell in Ontario...but perhaps not with the crowd they are trying to attract. I wish them the best.

On the other hand, I do not believe that they paid the ChessTalk advertising fee...I am sure $20 in their budget of many thousands of dollars, will not hurt too much...Henry?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Thanksgiving weekend is usually a tough sell in Ontario...but perhaps not with the crowd they are trying to attract. I wish them the best.

On the other hand, I do not believe that they paid the ChessTalk advertising fee...I am sure $20 in their budget of many thousands of dollars, will not hurt too much...Henry?

Larry
          Larry, can you help to show me how to pay the advertising fee, I do remember there was something before the ownership transfer, and tried to find this type of information, but failed to locate it

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Thanksgiving weekend is usually a tough sell in Ontario...
            This tournament is on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Monday for turkey :)

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post

Larry, can you help to show me how to pay the advertising fee, I do remember there was something before the ownership transfer, and tried to find this type of information, but failed to locate it
              Hello Grey,

I have PM'd you.

Thanks.
              Henry

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Knight View Post

Hello Grey,

I have PM'd you.

Thanks.
                Henry
                Thanks Henry,

Comment

In regards to the Varennes International tourney, we wish it wouldn't have to coincide with such a great tourney, and I wish Varennes to be a great tourney this year as always. Unfortunately, there's no other weekend in which Canada Chess Youth Club could cancel classes and commit to organizing something this big. I do hope that everyone in the GTA, if not Quebec, comes :)

Comment

We will start to post pre-registred player from late August.

Comment

Early bird price ends on Aug 31

Comment

With over a hundred players already, this should put Markham on the chess-tourney map. The goal here is to allow for GTA players to play in big tournaments without having to drive outside the GTA. This helps juniors and ambitious players achieve titles faster as there are less hotel costs and more opportunities to play strong players. So if you want to see more GTA tourneys, come out and support!

Comment

We hear you, Toronto Open, people were on summer vacation and missed the early bird deadline, now it's extended to Sep 9.

And we got sponsor to provide two slices pizza for each player on Saturday and Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post

Sadly there's no open section Markham...Varennes yes...

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Gauthier View Post

Sadly there's no open section Markham...Varennes yes...
                              What's the big deal between the words "open" and "championship"?

Comment

Working...
                              X