2018 Aurora Fall Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The titles of Arena Grand Master (AGM), Arena International Master (AIM), Arena FIDE Master (AFM) and Arena Candidate Master (ACM) are the same for men and women, they are registered on the player's profile card on the FIDE website, and are recognised to be used also for over-the-board tournament participation. For more information, click here.

fide allows the use of these titles in over the board tournaments, these titles are acquired online but are still considered otb titles as well

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
      The titles of Arena Grand Master (AGM), Arena International Master (AIM), Arena FIDE Master (AFM) and Arena Candidate Master (ACM) are the same for men and women, they are registered on the player's profile card on the FIDE website, and are recognised to be used also for over-the-board tournament participation. For more information, click here.

fide allows the use of these titles in over the board tournaments, these titles are acquired online but are still considered otb titles as well

It's the first I've ever heard of those titles. Upon further research, it turns out that they are awarded for FIDE for performances on their own Arena online platform. Since the Aurora Fall Open (and all OTB events posted) are over-the board (not online), I would say those titles (as would be postal/correspondence titles) are irrelevant for an OTB event.

Comment

We secured several floaters, and we'd try to secure games for everyone.

The players' count is now at 160 + (floaters). The websites (the tournament and chess-results) were updated to reflect changes. After the new CFC rating update, the list will be updated too. The chess-results page will be split into sections as well.

Comment

The link to chess-results has changed, as the tournament was split into sections: http://chess-results.com/tnr385365.aspx?lan=1

In case you need to cancel your registration please let us know by 1 pm on Friday, then a full refund will be issued. Also if you need a bye for round one, let as know ASAP. The pairings will be posted on Friday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

It's the first I've ever heard of those titles. Upon further research, it turns out that they are awarded for FIDE for performances on their own Arena online platform. Since the Aurora Fall Open (and all OTB events posted) are over-the board (not online), I would say those titles (as would be postal/correspondence titles) are irrelevant for an OTB event.
            yes, yet they are still legitimate titles therefore they can be used. last tournament It was recognized,

im not super anal about it just playing devils advocate on the wonder of why some organizers recognize it and some don't but thanks for the input

Comment

Hi Henri;
              Go overseas and get an established Fide title and maybe we will see what a real title should be posted. Organizer don't care if you are a puppet or a clown they just want to run tournaments.
              Who cares what a person's title is . They have a name a rating and they entered the event. That is all that matters. You don't get master points like bridge.

Comment

We got a notice that a new rating update was done, thus several tournament players have changed their ratings. Nothing dramatically have changed - no jumps from a section to other section. The website were updated. On chess-results floaters were included too.

Yes, there is still time to register :) http://www.aucc.club/2018-aurora-fal...n-registration

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                  Hi Henri;
                  Go overseas and get an established Fide title and maybe we will see what a real title should be posted. Organizer don't care if you are a puppet or a clown they just want to run tournaments.
                  Who cares what a person's title is . They have a name a rating and they entered the event. That is all that matters. You don't get master points like bridge.
                  yes I am aware im just discussing and some organizers do care to give notice when they have titled players

x

Comment

Intetesting, what does floaters mean here?

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post
                      Intetesting, what does floaters mean here?
                      In case someone might receive a forced bye (due to odd number of players for the round), the floater would be inserted (to make an even number of players) and all players would have games. In several sections we have two floaters, just in case one or other is not available at that moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Perhaps it needs to be quoted one more time or even more to be understood. "The titles of Arena Grand Master (AGM), Arena International Master (AIM), Arena FIDE Master (AFM) and Arena Candidate Master (ACM) are the same for men and women, they are registered on the player's profile card on the FIDE website, and are recognised to be used also for over-the-board tournament participation". For more information, click here.

These TITLES are RECOGNISED to be used ALSO for OVER-THE BOARD tournament participation. You may want to summon a FIDE Rep to clarify the matter?! True, those titles are irrelevant for an OTB event and what truly matters is the result of a game and who are at the top of the standings at the end of the tournament. Very few people plays at the FOA arena and if there is anyone who wants to play with you who has a higher rating than you have, you are more than lucky! I wonder if someone even wants to play with you unrated. Or maybe, you might have difficulty with the FOA registration? You need to prove you are a worthy opponent with a reasonable rating. Otherwise, you just wasted your annual membership?! There are rules and regulations to achieve a TITLE and at the end of the day, you would realize that, it's not easy to achieve one as what you may have thought?! At FOA, you play serious games and be rewarded for a performance achievements! I played fun and warm-up games at lichess.org and chess.com and other free chess-playing websites before putting challenges at FOA and found it worth the time spent playing and learning.

FIDE titles (such as AGM, AIM, AFM and ACM) are for the lower rating band:

In order to support the players' private online gaming and the active local chess communities, the top players of which have not reached the traditional Master level, FIDE has introduced official Arena titles for the average amateur performance between 1100 and 2000 Elo points. These titles can be achieved online by the members of FIDE Online Arena (FOA), and obtained by direct online payment without any application from the player's National Federation.

Comment

I was prepared to offer a title to anyone who applied, for a suitable price of course! Unfortunately I discovered the IA title was already taken.
                          Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post
                            I was prepared to offer a title to anyone who applied, for a suitable price of course! Unfortunately I discovered the IA title was already taken.
                            well I don't think you should just be able to pay for a title, you should have to earn it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post

well I don't think you should just be able to pay for a title, you should have to earn it for sure.
                              I agree, titles should be earned. I'm just wondering though, what is the FIDE/CFC rating equivalence/performance of an AFM for over the board chess?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Xu View Post

I agree, titles should be earned. I'm just wondering though, what is the FIDE/CFC rating equivalence/performance of an AFM for over the board chess?
                                Arena FIDE Master over 1400.

The Arena titles are automatic titles. The Arena server monitors players' activity and informs a player for his/her eligibility for a title. It the player accepts the title, it is awarded after the paypal payment is completed. Within the next couple of hours, the title is also mentioned on the player's profile card on FIDE website.

Acquiring an Arena title requires a continuous rating over the title's rating threshold for a number of games. The Arena Grand Master (to-become) has to remain continuously for a certain number of games over 2000 Elo points, the Arena International Master over 1700, the Arena FIDE Master over 1400 and the Arena Candidate Master must remain over 1100 Elo points. The number of games vary according to the time control. 50 games for rapid play, 100 games for Blitz and 150 games for Bullet time control. There are separate counters for each time control category and the titles can be achieved in any of the three time controls. When a player drops under the threshold (Elo points mentioned above are permitted) his/her counter for the specified title, for the specified time control turns to zero.

The FIDE Online Arena server monitors players' activity for all 4 titles, for all 3 different time control categories. A player eligible for a title receives an automated message by the server informing him/her for his/her achievement. A player may become eligible for more than one titles and it is possible to obtain either the higher or the lower title. The pricing policy is designed in such a way so that a title's full fee is paid at once by previously untitled players. An 'upgrade' from a lower to a higher title requires the payment of the difference of the titles' full fee.
                                Last edited by Ferdinand Supsup; Friday, 19th October, 2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X