Music and chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music and chess

Do you listen to music while playing chess online for fun?

I've been experimenting with different genres of music while playing online bullet and blitz, and it seems that kpop improves my focus, my endgame technique and my ability to see tactics.

Other genres I've tried include rap, mainstream pop, and classical; however, I've found that none of them possess the same level of effectiveness as kpop.

Can I get other opinions? I'm very interested in this. Has anyone else found kpop to be a great combination with chess?
    Last edited by Jeffrey Xu; Wednesday, 8th August, 2018, 03:16 PM.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Xu View Post
    Do you listen to music while playing chess online for fun?

I've been experimenting with different genres of music while playing online bullet and blitz, and it seems that kpop improves my focus, my endgame technique and my ability to see tactics.

Other genres I've tried include rap, mainstream pop, and classical; however, I've found that none of them possess the same level of effectiveness as kpop.

Can I get other opinions? I'm very interested in this. Has anyone else found kpop to be a great combination with chess?
    Hmm, let me think. No XD

Comment

I listen a lot of music from you tube when i am playing on lichess.... i found i play a better opening when i listen to this :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I33u_EHLI3w

Comment

Come to think of it, I DO! K Pop works wonders for blitz... I found that BLACKPINK really helps me focus on the game.

Comment

Experimented with different genres for blitz, and found that regardless of genre, songs should be familiar, nothing new so the brain doesn't have to process it. Tom's diner by Vega is a personal favorite for blitz, but basically anything with a chill vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Lafleche View Post
            I listen a lot of music from you tube when i am playing on lichess.... i found i play a better opening when i listen to this :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I33u_EHLI3w
            I would think that a steady beats-per-minute would be important.

I like this movie theme:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSav51fVlKU

Comment

Popular Debate Topic:

Soyeon or Yuqi?

Tzuyu or Jennie?
              Last edited by William Li; Thursday, 13th September, 2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Tough one. Gotta go with Soyeon and Jennie though. :)

Comment

I listen to LOFI off of youtube its really chill and helps me keep calm and focussed
                  you can just search up lofi on youtube and theres tons of live streams there

Comment

Music and chess

September 17, 2018

Oh Capablanca

I have being hearing lately of a song entitled Oh Capablanca. It is by Juga, a Chilean songwriter. It has had 20,000 viewers hear it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21QpsK7LRM4

In an article on chess24.com Juga is quoted as saying:

"Oh Capablanca" describes my emotional voyage through a twisted chess game, in which I suffered from over-optimism.

Right after the game, I wrote this song to relieve my grief for losing a "winning" position, which later I analyzed only to find out that it was not winning at all!

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/oh-capablanca-juga

The lyrics:

he played caro-cann
                    his rating was higher
                    but from move 17
                    the kingside was mine
                    took my chances fast
                    my rook was a knife
                    and my almighty queen
                    a beast on h6
                    my bishop was gold
                    his bishop was small
                    with no time pressure i'd crush him
                    once and for all
                    i gave up my good knight
                    but that don’t mean a thing
                    he has more experience
                    but i won't lose again
                    oh my dear Capablanca
                    wishful eyes deceive me overoptimistic
                    got nowhere to go, got nowhere to go
                    shook his hand signed the score
                    politely as i could
                    i can't analyse
                    can't look in his eyes
                    a lonely hotel room
                    i cried my despair
                    did i allow any counterplay?
                    his pieces were dead
                    i gave up my good knight
                    but that don’t mean a thing
                    he has more experience
                    but i won't lose again
                    oh my dear Capablanca
                    where did my attack go?
                    i was clearly winning
                    2 minutes ago, 2 minutes ago

now, according to stockfish
                    i got it all wrong
                    after slightly advantage
                    i had nothing
                    but my dear Capablanca
                    you tell me
                    we learn more from our defeats
                    who needs victories, right?

Comments online:

- Favourite song by my favourite artist

- Upvote if you want this song to be title song of the next Bond movie

- Great song! Sounds like a James Bond theme song. They should use a villain named Capablanca just so they can use it.

- Can somebody link this game?

Comment

Music and Chess

September 21, 2018

For immediate release – Houston, TX – ROCO's (River Oaks Chamber Orchestra) 14th concert season, entitled “Games People Play,” kicks off on September 21 & 22 with the world premiere of Maxime Goulet’s Checkmate. Based on the legendary 1996 match between IBM’s Deep Blue computer and then reigning world chess champion, Garry Kasparov, Checkmate is an interactive musical game of chess between ROCO’s full 40-piece orchestra and world-renowned pianist Lara Downes. With Downes representing Kasparov and ROCO playing the role of Deep Blue, the sequence of musical themes will follow the chess moves of this famous game with animation projected above the stage in real time.

No stranger to games himself, Maxime Goulet works within various realms of musical creation ranging from symphonic music to video games. He wrote the music for the game Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade, a symphony evoking different flavored chocolates (ROCO performed the string quartet version in November of 2017), a cabaret opera based on a comic book, and a crowd game for orchestra and a giant beach ball. Goulet’s contemporary tonal style and original musical concepts help him connect with everyone from youth audiences to savvy music aficionados. His concert works have been performed on four continents by leading ensembles and his unique musical voice can also be heard in a number of well-known video game soundtracks.

Conductor Paul Watkins, cellist with the Emerson String Quartet, will lead this exciting program including a performance of Mendelssohn’s Concert Piece No. 1 for Clarinet and Bassoon with ROCO principals, Nathan Williams and Kristin Wolfe Jensen as soloists. Concert-goers will also enjoy Mahler’s string orchestra arrangement of the second movement of Schubert’s Death and the Maiden, Martinů’s Sinfonietta “La Jolla,” and the US premiere of Anthem by Watkins’ brother, Huw Watkins.

Checkmate will be the first of ten world premieres in ROCO’s 2018-19 season bringing the ensemble’s total to 76 in just 14 years. ROCO is also committed to promoting diversity in the arts and will feature a female composer, conductor, or soloist on each concert this season.

https://mailchi.mp/7caa3e189372/roco-checkmate

Comment

Working...
                      X