People are coming back to ChessTalk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People are coming back to ChessTalk!

Since Henry purchased the site from the Chess'n Math Association, he has cleaned up the viruses and the presentation...earlier today I saw over 200 people were looking at this board at the same time!

We have not seen those numbers for at least 5 years now!

Congrats on the good work Henry and for maintaining ChessTalk as the place to go for information on the Canadian chess scene!

He is probably doing a better job of moderating the site also :).

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Sunday, 19th August, 2018, 04:02 PM.

When I look at "Who's Online" I get 3 members and 122 guests. The "guests" could be search engines and other such web crawlers - not necessarily humans.

Comment

You are right Hugh...but you would be astonished by the number of people who tell me they go to ChessTalk regularly...but they never comment nor do they sign up. What I am sure of...regardless of the bots...people are coming back to this site now that Henry has cleaned things up...and I am very happy about that!

Larry

Comment

People are coming back to Chess Talk!

August 19, 2018

In the old format, I used to enjoy the feature “Who's Online” and what they were reading.

Often, if I saw something from a few years ago being looked at, I would consider whether it was worth updating.

I can see that some members might think that it is an invasion of privacy with other viewers looking over their shoulders, so to speak, at what topics they are on. But surely for the Guests, who are anonymous, it doesn’t matter at all.

Why have a Who’'s Online feature if the Location isn’t activated?

Some of the guests are bots from google and other search engines doing hourly scans. I don’t think their privacy would be invaded either.

Please reactivate the full Who’'s Online feature with Real Name and Location.

Also, after a posting, some of the punctuation marks go missing. The hyphen (-) and the apostrophe/possession mark (') are the two that most often go on me. Then, I have to go in and re-edit the post.
        Last edited by Wayne Komer; Monday, 20th August, 2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Hi Henry (Aka Dark Knight):

If we are talking about the ideal Discussion Board, I'd spend some of YOUR money to do something I have always wanted but never seen - I think it must be simple enough to program, but I know little of this stuff.

Could the numbered comments in a thread be reversed in order?

Right now the first comment on the original post is right under the original post and gets # 2. The original post is # 1.

My issue is the post # 3! Right now it is placed under # 2.

Can it be placed BETWEEN # 1 and # 2? The idea is that people would be able to read the original discussion starter post first, and then read the MOST RECENT post next! Sometimes people just want to know what is the most current thought, and don't want to have to wade through tons of prior posts, sometimes over 2 or 3 pages, to get to the most recent.

Of course, if someone is new, and reads the post # 1 original, and does want to read all other posts, in chronological order, they still can........they scroll to the bottom first comment # 2, and then come back up the scroll sequentially.

I think this would be much more convenient to readers, not having to always scroll down, when they've already read all the interim posts previously, to get at the most CURRENT one.

Thanks for listening to my wish list.

Bob A

Comment

How do i get the most recent post on a thread to appear first...i.e. at the top? I'm tired of having to scroll to the bottom of a page only to discover that there's a page 2 or 3. It used to be so simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              How do i get the most recent post on a thread to appear first...i.e. at the top? I'm tired of having to scroll to the bottom of a page only to discover that there's a page 2 or 3. It used to be so simple.
              On the thread list you shall click a picture (>> pointing down). It will bring you to the first unread post.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                Since Henry purchased the site from the Chess'n Math Association, he has cleaned up the viruses and the presentation...earlier today I saw over 200 people were looking at this board at the same time!

We have not seen those numbers for at least 5 years now!

Congrats on the good work Henry and for maintaining ChessTalk as the place to go for information on the Canadian chess scene!

He is probably doing a better job of moderating the site also :).

Larry

I am now back to ChessTalk/ParlonsÉchecs because our FQE President, Bernard Labadie, took over, preventing us from expressing ourselves by blocking our access to the FQE's Facebook page and also having removed the blog from the FQE website.

There is NO more democracy in Quebec with the FQE president in place.

There is no way for Quebec players to express themselves anymore. Lucky we have Chesstalk/ParlonsÉchecs

I hope one day, Canadian Chess Federation will take over the FQE, being more representative of chess in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

On the thread list you shall click a picture (>> pointing down). It will bring you to the first unread post.
                  Where on the page do I find these arrows? I already get the threads in the correct order - it's the posts within the threads that appear in reverse.

Comment

Hi Egis: Thanks for this information re [>>] .... but when I have the page, listing all the topics, I cannot see anywhere on any of the thread topics, this symbol. Where do I find it?? But I am not concerned about getting to the "First Unread Thread" ... threads with new posts come to the top automatically with a blue dot on the left side.

What I thought you meant was that when I have clicked on the thread I want, and am brought to the original post # 1, then somewhere on that screen is a visible ">>". Clicking on that would bring you to the first thread you have not yet read, say on page 3.

I'm a bit confused........

Bob A
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 20th August, 2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

attaching the pictures.

When you've read newest posts, you will have no these "arrows".

You could use "Latest activity" to bring Bob's request into the life - the latest replies on the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        attaching the pictures.

When you've read newest posts, you will have no these "arrows".

You could use "Latest activity" to bring Bob's request into the life - the latest replies on the top.
                        "Latest activity" only shows me links to recently updated threads. I want to be able to see a list of threads (in descending order - i.e. the most recent one first) - which I do see (no problem there) - but I also want to be able to see the postings within each thread in that same order when I select the thread. This was never a problem on the old Chesstalk - but now they display in reverse (i.e. oldest post at the top). I don't want extra clicks and scrolls - I just want to quickly see the most recent posts to a thread at the top of that thread when I select that thread. Surely there is some sort of setting for that?

Comment

"Latest activity" only shows me links to recently updated threads. I want to be able to see a list of threads (in descending order - i.e. the most recent one first) - which I do see (no problem there) - but I also want to be able to see the postings within each thread in that same order when I select the thread. This was never a problem on the old Chesstalk - but now they display in reverse (i.e. oldest post at the top). I don't want extra clicks and scrolls - I just want to quickly see the most recent posts to a thread at the top of that thread when I select that thread. Surely there is some sort of setting for that?
                          I agree with Hugh, hate having to click all five pages one at a time to get to page 5 to get to the latest posting in that thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

I agree with Hugh, hate having to click all five pages one at a time to get to page 5 to get to the latest posting in that thread.
                            With multiple pages - you can scroll to the bottom of page 1, and then select the page to which you want to go. Still more of a hassle than simply having the most recent posts on page 1.

Comment

There are two types of "latest activity": for threads and for a post.

I'm happy with a ">>" feature on the threads' list - brings me to the latest unread post.

Comment

Working...
                              X