The crazy world of Chess Politics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crazy world of Chess Politics!

The 2018 North American Chess Championship (NAYCC ) will be held in Mexico this fall...see the link:

https://fideamerica.com/index.php/me...a-del-mar-2018

Canada is suppose to host in 2019

The Chess'n Math Association (with the help of Hal Bond, our FIDE rep) brought the event to Canada for the first time in 2010. We hosted the event in Montreal (celebrating our our 25th anniversary)and we set a new record for this event in terms of participation.

In 2013 (to celebrate 20 years in Toronto), we organized the event again (thanks to Francis Rodrigues who is an incredible individual !) the CMA set a record participation for the event in Toronto! A number that has never been beat to-date! Francis transformed the event into a competition where norms were available and now this event was finally a must go to championship!

Since then other organizers have adopted his format.

In 2016 the event came back to Canada and Vlad did a great job hosting the NAYCC in Windsor Ontario..

In 2019 the event should logically come back to Canada (the rotation is Canada , U.S..A and Mexico).

Many many months ago, the CFC approved the Chess'n Math bid to host the 2019 event in Kingston, Ontario.

Unfortuanetely FIDE America still has not accepted this bid :(

The FIDE America President has told our FIDE Rep that he supports the bid but the final decision will have to wait until October 2018.

This risks compromising the 2019 NAYCC...

I am sure Vlad and Hal are doing all they can...but at the end of the day...Kingston has already let go some of our reserved spots and we will have to struggle to make things happen...should we finally get the event.

Am I a little frustrated...I hate FIDE and everything related to that organization...I first dealt with them in the 80's...the only thing that has changed over these many decades is that they are more greedy than ever...rumours are that Mexico wants the event again in 2019 :(

Does anyone have a brown envelope (with U.S dollars please) :)

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Sunday, 19th August, 2018, 08:33 PM.

The issue is with FIDE America and not FIDE per se, We would be better served if FIDE America were split into two with one being the English speaking countries and the other being the Spanish speaking countries.

Comment

Quibble: "Non-English" speaking countries (Brazil speaks Portuguese).....just sayin'.....

Bob A

Comment

What about the big Portuguese-speaking one? :-)

(posted just before I saw Bob's comment)

Comment

One really can't be inaccurate about trivia on Chess Talk - you get jumped on severely.

But being wrong on the really "big" issues often just slips by without comment.........

Go figure......

Bob A

Comment

Ohhh chess, we are lucky that the rules are the same for all.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Lafleche View Post
              Not in the USCF in some cases. The rules are sometimes slightly different from what we are used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Alain Lafleche View Post
                USCF rules vs FIDE rules...

http://www.uschess.org/images/storie...comparison.pdf

Comment

Larry, if your bid for Kingston 2019 succeeds, I am willing to assist your team. Cheers, Frank Dixon, NTD, Kingston

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                    The 2018 North American Chess Championship (NAYCC ) will be held in Mexico this fall...see the link:

https://fideamerica.com/index.php/me...a-del-mar-2018

Canada is suppose to host in 2019

The Chess'n Math Association (with the help of Hal Bond, our FIDE rep) brought the event to Canada for the first time in 2010. We hosted the event in Montreal (celebrating our our 25th anniversary)and we set a new record for this event in terms of participation.

In 2013 (to celebrate 20 years in Toronto), we organized the event again (thanks to Francis Rodrigues who is an incredible individual !) the CMA set a record participation for the event in Toronto! A number that has never been beat to-date! Francis transformed the event into a competition where norms were available and now this event was finally a must go to championship!

Since then other organizers have adopted his format.

In 2016 the event came back to Canada and Vlad did a great job hosting the NAYCC in Windsor Ontario..

In 2019 the event should logically come back to Canada (the rotation is Canada , U.S..A and Mexico).

Many many months ago, the CFC approved the Chess'n Math bid to host the 2019 event in Kingston, Ontario.

Unfortuanetely FIDE America still has not accepted this bid :(

The FIDE America President has told our FIDE Rep that he supports the bid but the final decision will have to wait until October 2018.

This risks compromising the 2019 NAYCC...

I am sure Vlad and Hal are doing all they can...but at the end of the day...Kingston has already let go some of our reserved spots and we will have to struggle to make things happen...should we finally get the event.

Am I a little frustrated...I hate FIDE and everything related to that organization...I first dealt with them in the 80's...the only thing that has changed over these many decades is that they are more greedy than ever...rumours are that Mexico wants the event again in 2019 :(

Does anyone have a brown envelope (with U.S dollars please) :)

Larry
                    did you have a projected date/month for the kingston bid? was it in august or some other time?

i just wanted to save a month in case. thx

Comment

Working...
                    X