Social media etc is not our strong suit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social media etc is not our strong suit!

So I am from the dinosaur age :).

The average age of full time staff at Chess'n Math is over 50 years old :(.

I just did a google search for 'chess Toronto"...we appear on page 2!

HELP!

Contact me if you can change the picture...

Thanks Bevand at chess hyphen math dot org

Larry Bevand

Chess'n Math

www.chess-math.org

On page 1 I get a link to "Toronto Evening Programs | Chess'n Math Association". Page 2 has a link to Strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

HELP!

Change a picture ... where?

Are you talking about Content Management or SEO optimization?

Does CMA use WordPress as its platform?

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Saturday, 13th October, 2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
        No, it uses vBulletin, something I at 74.5 yo was able to figure out in about 5 minutes. So when did the dinosaur age end, Larry?

Comment

Change a picture ... where?

Are you talking about Content Management or SEO optimization?

Larry is talking about a virtual picture. He wants to get CMA / Strategy games coming out closer to the top of the pack, if someone does a Google search on Toronto Chess

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post

No, it uses vBulletin,
            As a platform??? LOL!!!

Get a grip.

Comment

The average age of full time staff at Chess'n Math is over 50 years old :(.

HELP!

Thanks Bevand at chess hyphen math dot org

Larry Bevand

Chess'n Math

www.chess-math.org
              Not so bad. You're on page 1 if search for Toronto chess store, or school, or lessons, or kids, or tournament.

If you want to be number 1 your first page needs to be viewed more often by regularly having fresh content, i.e. news about upcoming events, photos of prize winners, top cma rating gains of the month, new books, chess problem of the day, game of the week, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Larry is talking about a virtual picture. He wants to get CMA / Strategy games coming out closer to the top of the pack, if someone does a Google search on Toronto Chess
                OK thanks for the translation ... SEO optimization stuff.

Lots of 'best practice' methods to go about that ... including us knowing what ... platform ... CMA is on.

And why is that important? Well for starters ... WordPress uses plug-ins and those plug-ins can target Google's bots.

If not then google looks for a bunch of factors ... including simple stuff like ... is the code accessible friendly ... image ALT attributes ... backlinks and organic ranking... etc. Days of cramming stuff into the <head> tags are long gone.

And then there are all the 'click farms' for hire.

Comment

As a platform??? LOL!!!

Get a grip.
                  Facts are facts. Just a quick look at the html source will tell you that. Also, if you have to ask what platform is being used you probably aren't the one who can fix it...

SEO "optimization" is largely a hoax because Google susses out SEO tricks and downgrades them. So something might sorta work for a few months and then not work anymore. The best way to get at the top in a google search is to be the premier content provider in the search subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    If you want to be number 1 your first page needs to be viewed more often by regularly having fresh content, i.e. news about upcoming events, photos of prize winners, top cma rating gains of the month, new books, chess problem of the day, game of the week, etc.
                    That's good advice. Also part of Google's "page rank" algorithm is still the number of links to here from other sites. So get other chess sites to link to this one, perhaps by offering to put links from here to there. Nothing can really guarantee you top rank anyway but that and Erik's advice can help to a certain extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post

Facts are facts. Just a quick look at the html source will tell you that. Also, if you have to ask what platform is being used you probably aren't the one who can fix it...
                      What source are you looking at??? vBulletin ... LOL!!!

FYI ...

Good news ... dig some digging ... Chess'N Math is on a Drupal platform using a theme called Porto ... :)

Bad news ... looks like CMA has almost zero presence on social media. Except for an FB account for Montreal (tiny mention in a footer) with kinda fresh content. And an FB account for Toronto but is tagged Strategy Games (with no mention in their footer) ... that has almost dead content. Nothing for Ottawa (figures) Missing out on so much much more...

Does CMA have an YT account ... active YT account?

Yes, fresh content is king ... but almost everyone has fresh content. Traffic therefor becomes key ... hence the 'click farms'.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Saturday, 13th October, 2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Maybe it's good that it is on the second page. You have time to update the page, while your potential customers reading page one, to something more fresher than "The following students have pre-qualified for the 2017 Ontario Chess Challenge."

I heard that paid ads put on top of the page too.

Comment

On my android tablet you are the second last from the bottom of the first page with a search of "chess Toronto".

Comment

Working...
                          X