U16 chess olympiad in Turkey 24NOV-DEC3 - looking for players willing to participate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U16 chess olympiad in Turkey 24NOV-DEC3 - looking for players willing to participate

Hello,

FIDE World Youth U-16 Chess Olympiad 2018 will be held in Konya, Turkey from 24 November to 3 December 2018. Based on the warnings published by Canadian government, CFC decided is not safe to send a team and will not endorse a Canadian team for this event. My personal opinion is that will be no danger for a Canadian to travel to this event, I am looking for players to form a Canadian team for this event. I already have the organizers agreement to register a Canadian team without Canadian Chess Federation endorsement.

For this, I am looking for players who are interested to play in this event under those circumstance's (no endorsement and no involvement from CFC). You can email me (iushu@hotmail.com) and in case I can gather enough players for a team, Canada will have a team at this year under 16 Olympiad.

Andrei Botez

Update: We have a team made out of 4 girls!!
    Update #2: Two of the girls canceled (school will not accept missing assignments), one boy confirmed, one in process to confirm.
    Update #3: We have a full team (3 boys and 2 girls).
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Wednesday, 31st October, 2018, 02:18 PM.

why was it declared unsafe?? id like to believe fide would ensure relative safety for the players especially for youth players

Comment

Take it up with Canada's External Affairs Department. Turkey is listed under a travel advisory by the Canadian government. It took the U.S. some two years to get a minister out of prison with the full weight of Donald Trump's fury applied to the Turkish government. I would not like our chances of springing a player or parent who found themselves in similar circumstances. My student Rohan wanted to go as this is his last year of eligibility. I advised him not to go even if we were sending a team which we are not.

Comment

A group of 24 (mostly adult) Canadians was in Turkey last week to compete in a sporting event (I know many of them). None of them ever felt unsafe. Here's a comment from one:

"Before I came to Turkey I heard many people expressing their concerns about the dangers of the country. After 9 days in Antalya [site of the competition] I traveled to Istambul. The first day I was there I never once felt unsafe traveling the streets of Istambul. That night I was running up a darkened side street to catch up to some friends. When I rounded the corner I didn't notice how the paving stones had raised up in one spot. I did a face plant in the middle of the street. I was bleeding profusely from above my eye. Several men rushed over to help me up and get me some napkins to help stem the bleeding. If this country was as dangerous as many people believe it to be then I presented them with the perfect opportunity to relieve me of my money, phone, etc. Instead the wonderful people of Turkey stepped up to help a stranger out.
        Remember this next time to make an assumption about a country and their people. Not just this country but any country."

To each his own...

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Take it up with Canada's External Affairs Department. Turkey is listed under a travel advisory by the Canadian government. It took the U.S. some two years to get a minister out of prison with the full weight of Donald Trump's fury applied to the Turkish government. I would not like our chances of springing a player or parent who found themselves in similar circumstances.
          With respect Vlad, you're getting the politics all wrong. Pardon the pun but Turkey has all the "trump" cards. They are squeezing the Saudis for all they can over the Khashoggi murder/disappearance. Turkey sprung the Minister, an alleged Gullenist involved in the US-sponsored coup d'etat against Erdogan (which failed), to ingratiate themselves to the US after the recent sanctions, as a kind of gift or olive branch to the US. This is more about whose weapons Turkey is purchasing and not much to do with men of the cloth. It was not the result of Trump's "fury" but a sop to shut up Uncle Sam.

Hugh has made a good point as well. Other Canadians travelled to Turkey recently and were fine.

Of course, if you have an Armenian name, and stand in the middle of a major street yelling about the genocide a century ago, then, yeah, you will be in trouble. But for goodness' sake. If all that the Government of Canada can muster about, eg, Saudi Arabia is to say "exercise a high degree of caution", when everyone knows that the KSA beheads 100 people a year, including queers just for being queer, is involved with the most horrific war against Yemen, and recently (allegedly) took a bone saw to Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi, then Turkey is small potatoes in comparison.

If we can't afford it, or some other mundane reason, then fine. The Government of Canada picks and chooses who they like and so can the rest of us.

If Andrei wants to organize a contingent to go to Turkey, then good luck to him and the team he assembles.
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 23rd October, 2018, 07:46 PM.
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

wow, 4 girls, where are the boys, thank for all your effort, keep us updated

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post
              wow, 4 girls, where are the boys, thank for all your effort, keep us updated
              who are the four

Comment

Today was the last date to register for U16 Olympiad, as I was not able to gather a team, Canada will not have a team this year at this event. Majority of the players willing to participate could not obtain the school approval to miss school time.

Andrei

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                  Today was the last date to register for U16 Olympiad, as I was not able to gather a team, Canada will not have a team this year at this event. Majority of the players willing to participate could not obtain the school approval to miss school time.

Andrei
                  sorry to here Andrei I most definitely would have played but I am not of age:/

Comment

It's hard for high school students, maybe we can try with grade 8 next time

Comment

Thank you Andre for getting involved in this and your other chess organizing efforts though in this case I am relieved that no one is going. I understand that there is a 99% chance that everyone might have gone and everything would have been fine. Its that 1% that continues to be a worry. Hopefully FIDE can do a better job of restricting the location of youth events to safer locations.

Comment

If Turkey is said to be unsafe, why did CFC approve to send two juniors to compete in the World Junior CC 2018 which was also held in Turkey?

Comment

Originally posted by William Li View Post
                          If Turkey is said to be unsafe, why did CFC approve to send two juniors to compete in the World Junior CC 2018 which was also held in Turkey?
                          Good question William Li! Interesting to note that the World Junior CC was also held in Turkey and CFC sent two players to play in that "unsafe" country.

Last edited by Jeffrey Xu; Sunday, 28th October, 2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Xu View Post

Good question William Li! Interesting to note that the World Junior CC was also held in Turkey and CFC sent two players to play in that "unsafe" country.
                            4.7 million Russian tourists visited Turkey last year; and this year it is expected to be 6 million. A more liberal travel visa arrangement is planned by the Turkish authorities, to improve the numbers, etc. We are talking about millions of tourists from a country that had a pilot shot down and killed by Turkey (over Syria) and, nevertheless, the Russians are still willing to let those millions of tourists travel.

But Canada says "it's not safe".

Yeah right. lol.

Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

The warning about Turkey is to "exercise a high degree of caution." Other countries that received the same warning are: UK, France, Mexico, India, Thailand, and many others... In this day and age its most of the world...
                              https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Comment

Working...
                              X