I just read my 300th chess book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for your info for my list of Canadian chess books! I'll update it as I get time.

I read the 300 books cover to cover. Favourites are any book by Irving Chernev and Edmar Mednis. Also, autobiographical best game collections, like Tartakower's 2 volumes.

Regards,

David

Comment

January 14, 2019

With my rather loose definition of a “Canadian” chess book, we may include two by Evgeny Bareev, whom I suppose is now a Canadian citizen

Two by Evgeny Bareev

SKA-Turnier Munchen 1994
      with Raj Tishbierek
      Sportverlag, Berlin 1994

From London to Elista
      with Ilya Levitov
      New in Chess
      Alkmaar, 2007

Comment

After the first 300, I've read 3 more (Profile of a Prodigy, 2nd ed. and Endgame by Frank Brady; and the following).

Here's another book by a Canadian, a chess playing sports journalist from Vancouver:

The Grandmaster: Magnus Carlsen and the match that made chess great again by Brin-Jonathan Butler, hardcover, 2018.

It's about the 2016 World Championship match Carlsen-Karjakin. Great stuff as he explores the winners, losers and oddballs of the chess world to compare them to Carlsen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

January 14, 2019

With my rather loose definition of a “Canadian” chess book, we may include two by Evgeny Bareev, whom I suppose is now a Canadian citizen

In American Chess Magazine, Issue # 6, there is an ad for the book, The Sicilian: Thematic Sacrifices and Attacks by Jean Hébert.

Comment

I was slightly surprised to see that Liza Orlova has published a chess book entitled "Chess for Beginners: Know the Rules, Choose Your Strategy and Start Winning". I'm not sure of the publishing date but it appears to be available now. The last year or two has seen lots of young Canadian Players publish books. I just got Joshua and John Doknjas's book on the Najdorf Sicilian.

Comment

March 28, 2019

Another Canadian book to be added to David Cohen’s list:

Bareev, Evgeny – Say No to Chess Principles , Thinker’s Publishing 2019

For more details see:

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...ss-books/page2

Entry #22

Comment

Just out off the press: "The Chess Player's Master Playbook: Develop your situational awareness" by John Bleau. Listed on Amazon (ISBN 1499307985). There is a French version as well.

Comment

(I wasn't referring to Canadian chess books, but a big thank you to everyone who pointed out the new Canadian chess books!)

I read another 19 chess books in 2019!

I was browsing for chess books in Fred Wilson's shop and he asks, by the way, have you read the best chess book ever written? What's that? And he reaches up and hands me down ... his book!

Profile of a Prodigy: The Life and Games of Bobby Fischer, revised 2nd ed. Frank Brady
                  Endgame Frank Brady
                  The Grandmaster: Magnus Carlsen and the match that made chess great again Brin-Jonathan Butler
                  1 Move Checkmates: 200 instructive and challenging mates for beginners! Eric Schiller
                  100 easy checkmates: 1 and 2 move checkmates to challenge your skills Larry Evans
                  Checkmate!: My first chess book Gary Kasparov
                  Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets lost the most extraordinary chess match of all time David Edmonds, John Eidinow
                  Turning Advantage into Victory in Chess Andrew Soltis
                  Simple Attacking Plans Fred Wilson
                  Simple Chess, algebraic ed. Michael Stean, ed. Fred Wilson
                  Chess: East and West, Past and Present Charles Wilkinson, Jessie McNab Dennis
                  World Chess Championship 1957 Harry Golombek
                  100 Endgames You Must Know, 5th ed. Jesus de la Villa
                  Charousek's Games of Chess, corrected 2nd ed. Philip Sergeant, ed. Fred Wilson
                  Combat: My 50 Years at the Chess Board Sidney Bernstein
                  All the wrong moves: a memoir about chess, love, and ruining everything Alexander (Sasha) Chapin
                  Averbakh's Selected Games Yuri Averbakh

... and a couple of others. I enjoyed them all, but liked the Averbakh book best.

Comment

Working...
                  X