Chesstalk server time of day wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chesstalk server time of day wrong?

Just saw several posts claiming to be today at 5:00p - except that it is only 16:40 right now!

Edit: looks like the server is one hour ahead of Eastern Time... perhaps it has wrong Timezone? Or just simply the wrong time.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    Just saw several posts claiming to be today at 5:00p - except that it is only 16:40 right now!

Edit: looks like the server is one hour ahead of Eastern Time... perhaps it has wrong Timezone? Or just simply the wrong time.
    hey Kerry what happened was during the last day light savings hour the clocks on the server did not change or were not changed probably easily fixable

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post

hey Kerry what happened was during the last day light savings hour the clocks on the server did not change or were not changed probably easily fixable

I asked this question years ago and was told the server was located in the Maritimes.

Comment

There are ways for the forum software to display timestamps corrected to the viewer's timezone...
        At the bottom of the page where I am typing this it says "all times are GMT-5" lol
        For the correct time, try going to https://time.is

Comment

Hi Kerry: Neat....never knew about that. Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Kerry: Sorry, I missed something.......it said it corrected my clock from being 32 seconds off. But it didn't touch the time stamp for me here on CT....the stamp for this here post is an hour ahead. How do I turn my CT clock back an hour??

Bob A

Comment

The only way you can turn your CT clock back is to move to the east coast time zone... lol
              I mean that the CT server is currently displaying the time (its time) which apparently is set to match East Coast time. As a result, those of us in Toronto or Montreal or Ottawa etc. will see timestamps off by an hour. Chesstalkers in B.C. will see post timestamps off by more ..etc

That website time.is was just for reference... it might tweak your PC clock (if you ask it to - I didn't bother with that myself) but your PC's clock has nothing to do with what Chesstalk thinks is the time of day.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Thanks.

I am no techie, I admit........

But is it not possible for CT to write a code to over-ride the use of the home base time zone of the CT website, and have the code use the time zone of the computer location of the poster, anywhere in the world??

Bob A

Comment

Yes it is possible.

Comment

Hi Kerry: Thanks.......guess it is a bit costly, not only to write the code, but then to integrate it into the CT system?

Secondly, I guess everyone knows how to subtract an hour from their stamp, and so there isn't much urgency to this......does the time stamp really matter at all, really??

Unless I really do want to know when you are actually in your computer location....LOL

Bob
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 14th February, 2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X