2019 Ontario Girls U-19 Championship - Registration Fees Go Up In One Week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Ontario Girls U-19 Championship - Registration Fees Go Up In One Week!

In our desire to promote chess among girls in Ontario, we're calling on all young girls in Ontario to take part in this event for an awesome opportunity to represent Ontario at the 2019 Susan Polgar Foundation Girls's Invitational in Saint Louis, Missouri, USA. See details below:

The 2019 Ontario U-19 Girls Championship serves as a provincial qualification tournament for the Susan Polgar Foundation Girls' Invitational (SPFGI), the most prestigious All-Girls chess event in the United States. GM Susan Polgar and Webster University kindly invite Canadian girls to take part in the “16th Annual Susan Polgar Foundation Girls’ Invitational” scheduled to take place in Saint Louis, Missouri (July 2019, exact dates TBA). That event will offer more than $200,000 in prizes and scholarships.

Last year, our Ontario Champion tied for 1st place at the 2018 SPFGI with 5 our of 6 points and also prizes and scholarship grants for her strong performance. This year, other girls in Ontario now have the opportunity to compete and represent Ontario and Canada in this special event.

This event also serves as a qualifier for the Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) that will take place in Regina, SK from July 6 – 10, 2019. This is a unique opportunity for Ontario girls of all ages to qualify in a safe and secure environment and to boost their FIDE and CFC ratings ahead of the CYCC! Every girl who achieves at least 50% score will qualify, upon approval by the Canadian Chess Federation (CFC).

Eligibility: Female players under 19 years old on January 1, 2019, who reside in Ontario. Players must have been enrolled in a school (up to 12th grade) located in Ontario for the 2018-2019 school year. Students who have never attended traditional college on a full-time basis prior to July 1, 2019 are eligible. All participants need to have valid CFC membership or purchase it before the start of the event. When: Saturday, March 2nd, 2019

Where: Holiday Inn Oakville Centre, 590 Argus Road, Oakville, Ontario

Rounds @ 9:00 am; 11:30 am; 2:00 pm; 4:00 pm; & 6:30 pm. Registered Players List

Format: Regular Swiss, 5 rounds. Rated FIDE/CFC/CMA.

Time Controls: 40 mins/end plus 30 sec Delay. TOURNAMENT PRIZES – Trophies and/or Medals

The winner becomes the 2019 Ontario U-19 Girls Champion and the official Ontario representative for the SPFGI. Beautiful trophies for the Top 3 players. Certificate of Qualification for the 2019 CYCC in a corresponding age group. The winner receives a transportation grant of up to $500 (based on 20 paid registrations) to attend the SPFGI in St. Louis, Missouri in July 2019. This money is payable upon successful completion of all rounds of the SPFGI.

Register Here

For more information, check the tournament page here.

I enjoyed watching a couple of the rounds of the Cairns Cup. The games were more exciting than the over 2700 events. Their replay page has a nice video on girls playing chess:

https://www.uschesschamps.com/2019-cairns-cup-replay

Comment

Thanks Erik for sharing the link. I love it! This is why we promote chess for girls...

We getting more and more girls sign up. Unfortunately, we have a capacity constraint at this event so registration will close once we reach capacity. Register now...don't wait and don't miss out on this great event. Early bird registration ends tomorrow, Feb 22. Registration fees go up on Feb 23!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Green View Post
        Thanks Erik for sharing the link. I love it! This is why we promote chess for girls...

We getting more and more girls sign up. Unfortunately, we have a capacity constraint at this event so registration will close once we reach capacity. Register now...don't wait and don't miss out on this great event. Early bird registration ends tomorrow, Feb 22. Registration fees go up on Feb 23!
        he ken was just wondering will there be any live boards for this event?? and is there a thread for the Oakville qualifier?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
          I enjoyed watching a couple of the rounds of the Cairns Cup. The games were more exciting than the over 2700 events. Their replay page has a nice video on girls playing chess:

https://www.uschesschamps.com/2019-cairns-cup-replay
          Nice video!
          We also have a video of our Ontario girls in 2012 OGCC. Here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/senecahillc...2722284899183/

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post

he ken was just wondering will there be any live boards for this event?? and is there a thread for the Oakville qualifier?
            It is not likely we will have the live board for this event since this is a smaller one-day event. However, we will consider this for this event and certainly for future events.

Comment

To encourage more girls to register for this event, we have extended the Early Bird Registration to tomorrow, Monday, Feb 25, 2019. We now have 22 girls registered to compete for this awesome opportunity to play in St. Louis in an all girls event hosted by Susan Polgar. Registration fees go up on Tuesday, Feb 26th!

https://elevatemychess.samcart.com

Comment

To encourage more girls to register for this event, we have extended the Early Bird Registration to tomorrow, Monday, Feb 25, 2019. We now have 22 girls registered to compete for this awesome opportunity to play in St. Louis in an all girls event hosted by Susan Polgar. Registration fees go up on Tuesday, Feb 26th!

https://elevatemychess.samcart.com
                I agree ken its important to continue support for girls in chess! ill be lucky to follow this event closely as I am playing in the Oakville qualification tournament best of luck to every one playing in both!!

Comment

Originally posted by Corinna Wan View Post

Nice video!
                  We also have a video of our Ontario girls in 2012 OGCC. Here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/senecahillc...2722284899183/
                  Hi Corinna,

Thanks for sharing this. It's great to watch and see so many girls playing chess. Where are all these girls now? And why are there no more girls tournaments in Ontario and Canada?

Comment

Hi Corinna,

Thanks for sharing this. It's great to watch and see so many girls playing chess. Where are all these girls now? And why are there no more girls tournaments in Ontario and Canada?
                    That's a good question. For future reference, after this year's Canada Closed/Zonal in Kingston at Easter, we plan to run the Women's Canadian Closed (and Women's Zonal depending on the formula in place at the time) for 2020 and 2022. Both in Kingston at Easter. In a few months, I look forward to hearing from people like you and Corinna on how to make it a good one in 2020.
                    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Monday, 25th February, 2019, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

That's a good question. For future reference, after this year's Men's Closed/Zonal in Kingston at Easter, we plan to run the Women's Canadian Closed (and Women's Zonal depending on the formula in place at the time) for 2020 and 2022. Both in Kingston at Easter. In a few months, I look forward to hearing from people like you and Corinna on how to make it a good one in 2020.
                      Great idea! I am on board!!

Comment

Hi Aris:

Can I be a bit picky??

Is it the "Open to All Closed/Zonal"?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Hi Aris:

Can I be a bit picky??

Is it the "Open to All Closed/Zonal"?

Bob A
                          My regrets Bob. I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're asking about the 2019 Easter event that I'm posting registrations about in other threads, we have 4 sections (we might add a fifth one for beginners or almost beginners). Anyway, the top section, called the Zonal Section, is serving as the 2019 Canada Zonal. To be eligible for that section, a player must have a FIDE or CFC or FQE rating of 2200+ when they register.

Does that answer your question? We have a strong local player who has been individually directly contacting the top few dozen players in the country to invite them. I repeatedly thank him every time I talk to him, because it's cool to get genuine volunteer help. Without guys like him, and the package we lucked out putting together with Fred's/Vlad's networking, this wouldn't be happening.

On top of that, we've built 3 "regular" sections of U2200-U1900--U1600, with the same solid prize funds each. The idea is to give more "regular" chess players the chance to play in an elite-style 9-rounder, while at the same time, they can walk just a few yards and see their favorite elite Canadians battling for a great opportunity at the world level. We hope this attracts players like YOU!
                          Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Monday, 25th February, 2019, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Aris:

What I'm a bit confused about is if FIDE still refers to the 'Canada "Men's" Zonal', rather than the 'Canada "Open" Zonal' (I.e. a woman, if good enough is eligible to enter - thus not really a "men's" tournament, even if at the moment, only men are participating).

Thanks Aris - sorry my first post wasn't more clear.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Hi Aris:

What I'm a bit confused about is if FIDE still refers to the 'Canada "Men's" Zonal', rather than the 'Canada "Open" Zonal' (I.e. a woman, if good enough is eligible to enter - thus not really a "men's" tournament, even if at the moment, only men are participating).

Thanks Aris - sorry my first post wasn't more clear.

Bob A
                              Hello again Bob, you know, you have a point, I think it's actually Open, even though we all say Men. Let me get that clarified and get any/all of the documentation adjusted appropriately.

But boy, I am SO GLAD I replied to you, I didn't get it at first.

Thank you Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X