Wah/what is "FOCC"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah/what is "FOCC"?

Chess-results.com lists a multi-section Canadian event referred to as "FOCC 21". no indication is given as to location and the organizer is listed as "Cheny Chen".

With the (rather large) player lists looking like a Shanghai phone book, I assume that it is a junior event either in Richmond BC, or suburban Toronto. But there are American players (and some from New Zealand) listed as well.

Can someone enlighten me?

http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=CAN

Friends of Chess ? Chess Results tells me the organiser is Cheney Chen (chendx@gmail.com), so maybe he can enlighten you (and us). But Chess Results also says the event runs 2019/03/24 to 2019/06/30, so I suspect it is an online event, or something.

Edit: the CFC lists a Cheney Chen in Markham, but he just played in an under 8 section at Aurora, so he might not be the right guy.
    Last edited by John Coleman; Saturday, 6th April, 2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

FIDE shows a Cheney Chen from Canada born in 1990. However - matching it with CFC crosstables, the name comes out as Dongxiao Chen.

Comment

Family Online Chess Challenge

Cheney is one of the volunteers organizing an online tournament with Junior players from worldwide, while most from North American.

One game each week, the players need set up time to play a 30 minutes rapid game

Comment

How are such online events officiated? Is it on the honour system - we have to believe that no one has access to chess engines? Or would there be groups of players spread around several locations - each group with an arbiter?

Comment

As I know, it's not rated and no award, maybe we can trust the players as there is no benefit/gain with cheating. And chess.com does a good job on identifying cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              Chess-results.com lists a multi-section Canadian event referred to as "FOCC 21". no indication is given as to location and the organizer is listed as "Cheny Chen".

With the (rather large) player lists looking like a Shanghai phone book, I assume that it is a junior event either in Richmond BC, or suburban Toronto. But there are American players (and some from New Zealand) listed as well.

Can someone enlighten me?

http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=CAN
              Hi Hugh,

Yes, it stands for "Family Online Chess Challenge", which is created 3+ years ago, from FOCC1 till FOCC21 now.

It's a 7 rounds each online chess tournament, every round takes one week. Time controls are vary, from 30 minutes to 90+30 depends on sections.

Tournament are about 300-400 participants now for each tournament, mostly are junior players from United State and Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheney Chen View Post

Hi Hugh,

Yes, it stands for "Family Online Chess Challenge", which is created 3+ years ago, from FOCC1 till FOCC21 now.

It's a 7 rounds each online chess tournament, every round takes one week. Time controls are vary, from 30 minutes to 90+30 depends on sections.

Tournament are about 300-400 participants now for each tournament, mostly are junior players from United State and Canada.
                how would one even register for such a tournament???

Comment

Working...
                X