X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYCC Final results

CYCC final results at MonRoi:

http://monroi.com/2008-canadian-yout...p-results.html

In the B18, it looks like they bravely played 8 games (10 rounds) in 3.5 days. Was there a playoff for first place?

In G14, the last two rounds in the crosstable look like the playoff for second place. Y. Orlova was the section winner.

There was a dark horse victory in the B10, with William Graif leading from start to finish.

Congratulations to the organizers, and to all the winners!

Re: CYCC Final results

Hmmm, ... Yeah .... Well ... I have this to say about that ...

Eva (my wife) and I noticed on the pre-registered list that a boy that was too old to be in the U16 section was in that listing.

I had sent an email to the organizers about a few different problems with the pre-registered list. I also asked them to check this boy's information as they had him down as from Quebec and I had him from Ontario. (as it turns out, he was actually living in the US)

On Sunday night I noticed that he was still in the U16 section and so I send an urgent email out to the organizers (copy to both Richard and Ellen).

With a number of other issues that I was concerned about, it went un-noticed by me that he was still in the U16 after 2 rounds. At this point, the U18 boys were two rounds into a double round robin. I again brought this to the organizers attention and they had a talk with the boy and his father. They decided to leave him in the U16 section!
    After round 3, other U16 parents were figuring out that this boy did not belong there and we went to the organizers yet again and THEN they decided that he should not stay in the U16 section.
    With mere seconds to the round 4, they changed the U18 section from the double round robin to a single round robin with 5 players and changed the pairing for that round.

All the U18 boys and their parents as well as many of the U16 parents and players then signed a protest and letter of appeal.

The round 5 then came along and the complainents and others concerned were then being heard from. Round 5 was played under protest by the player from the original group that now had to play the new member of the group.

By the end of the 5th round, the appeals committee decided that the new to the section boy should stay in the section and that it should now be played as a double round robin of 5 players. By this time, most of the U18 boys had had it "up to here" and were then just going through the motions of playing now 20 minute games (ridiculous) and not caring who won.

I strongly object to this treatment of the U18 boys!
    I call into question the results of this section of play!

I am glad that Ling Feng Ye did end up winning the section with these constantly changing format and rules, but the whole section is VERY questionable.

BTW: during the appeals committee hearing (from the complainents) I have to say that I was VERY impressed with Ling Feng Ye. He was articulate and had very well thought out reasonable points to say. And this is with having the most to gain out of the changing format. His interest was clearly in making the tournament a FAIR one.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

CYCC Final Results -- Wrong Section

Rather than cause such a mess, why was the unqualified (for U16) not simply CXLd out of the section. Could it possibly have been an error on the youth's and his father's part to enroll him in the wrong section? Doubtful to me! Is a USA RESIDENT even allowed to participate, whether a Canadian citizen or not? Methinks that someone was bending over the wrong way in this case.

Comment

Re: CYCC Final Results -- Wrong Section

Looks kinda like that to me also... of course you'd like to make everyone happy but it doesn't always work that way. In this case they tried to appease one player and his parents and ticked off a number of other players and their parents at the same time.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The kid doesn't know how old he is? He should have simply been disqualified. And probably called an idiot.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I have the scoresheets of all available CYCC games. Eventually - all readable games will be entered - but I'm giving priority to the Canadian/Quebec Open games at the moment.

Comment

Hi Patrick:

In the interest of fairness, you should probably point out that you are the CFC youth co-ordinator and also an interested party as a parent of a kid in the B18 section.

That said, the handling of this sounds like a total clusterf**k on the part of the organizers and it's inconceivable to me that neither this kid nor his parents didn't know he was too old for the U16 section.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Both organizers and the player/father were to blame.
                The father emailed organizers that his son should be U18 but they ignored it.
                For some reason the player decided to play in the wrong section without saying anything before 1st round started. He even played 2 more rounds there. The players and the parents all agreed that he should be disqualified but the appeal was turned down and instead the boys U18 had to play 20 minute games. It was a joke!
                There was also a boy visiting from Hong Kong (not Canadian citizen) who was allowed to play while qualified players were getting byes.

Eva

Comment

Hi Eva:

Hope all is well with you. It's a damn shame that this sort of stuff happens at all, and I can't think of any reason for it. If the players were suddenly forced to play G20, then you're right, it's a joke and the credibility of the results go out the window. I have no doubt that most of the players, regardless of their strength or position in the standings, felt the same way.

As for the byes, I had noticed that when I saw the end of round 4 results for the B16 which were the first results I glanced at. Where did all the full-point byes come from? And for the stronger players too! Ugh. How hard can this stuff be? Screw-ups can happen but by the end of round 2 everything should be straightened out. This isn't rocket science.

Steve

Comment

Quebec organisers have a history of being useless at the CYCC. The 2002 CYCC in Montreal was also poorly directed.
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

There's another point though... how are they planning on rating the games if they were G20?
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The organizers said that the G20 games would NOT be rated.

I know that at least 3 of the original 4 thought that this was silly and that they didn't feel that they were what they came to play. They didn't put their full effort into the games and the whole tournament had been destroyed for them.

Since the organizers said they would not be rated, I truly hope that they won't be as they really don't reflect the players strength.
                        ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                        Patrick McDonald

Comment

What authority does the CFC Junior Coordinator have vis a vis the organizers of a CYCC?

Comment

Ahh, Ken ...
                            This is a VERY good and appropriate question!
                            At this year's CYCC, I was consulted on one or two of the issues - primarily about whether a player was allowed to play or not.

I also took the organizers aside and spoke with them about the new motion passed at last year's AGM - in particular the combining or not combining of sections that had less than 8 players.
                            It seems that they took my advice/recommendation/directive on only one issue and that was about Canadian Citizens playing.

They still allowed a non Canadian Citizen (also with no residency) to play (a boy from Hong Kong) against my ruling.

They still did NOT combine sections (in direct conflict with the rule passed last year - even though they knew about this rule as one of the organzers was against the rule and was upset at it being passed, and taking part of the rule and charging the increased rate)

I heard it said many times that the CFC has lost control of one if it's key annual events. It seems that once a bid gets accepted, the organizers that made the bid have free reign and the Youth Coordinator - that really should be integrally involved in the organization - is left out of it completely.

In my years as youth coordinator, the team that worked "with" me the most and kept me fully apprised of all organizational matters was the team in Victoria BC. (one of the most successful and appreciated CYCC's).
                            ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                            Patrick McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
                              They still did NOT combine sections (in direct conflict with the rule passed last year - even though they knew about this rule as one of the organzers was against the rule and was upset at it being passed, and taking part of the rule and charging the increased rate)

I heard it said many times that the CFC has lost control of one if it's key annual events. It seems that once a bid gets accepted, the organizers that made the bid have free reign and the Youth Coordinator - that really should be integrally involved in the organization - is left out of it completely.
                              See my comments at the old board:
                              http://members5.boardhost.com/ChessT...216690513.html
                              Grin

Comment

Working...
                              X