X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchener-Waterloo April Quick Sat April 27

2019 Kitchener-Waterloo April Quick Tournament

Date: Saturday, April 27, 2019
    Place: Learning Room, Second floor, Kitchener City Hall, 200 King St. W., Kitchener, ON
    Rounds: 5 (10am, 11:30am, lunch, 1:30pm, 3pm, 4:30pm)
    Time Control: Game in 25 minutes plus 10 seconds delay per move (Bronstein)
    Sections (2)
    • Top six players (determined by CFC rating) will play a round robin tournament. Note that only players that do not require any byes are eligible.
    • All other players will play a Swiss tournament.
    • We reserve the right to combine, or otherwise modify, the sections if necessary.
    Entry Fee: $40 all players, $10 discount for juniors (under 17 years) and seniors (65 years or older). Cash only at site (ATM available).

Preregistration must be submitted by email to edthompson@netflash.net (cc kwchessclub@gmail.com) by April 25 to avoid the late fee. Payment to be made before 9:45 a.m. on tournament day at the site.
    Late registration – Before 9:30 a.m. on tournament day at the site. A $10 late fee will be charged.

Miscellaneous:
    • Clocks and sets will be supplied.
    • Several restaurants are near the site.
    • Parking is available street side and underground at the site. Parking fees apply.
    Last edited by Tony Li; Tuesday, 16th April, 2019, 11:06 PM.

Hi Tony:

Just a little reminder to you that the Niagara Falls Open is on this weekend. It has been posted on the CFC website since last year. Our tournament was hoping that some players from your area would be coming to play in Niagara Falls.

John Erickson
    TD
    Niagara Falls Open

Comment

Originally posted by John Erickson View Post
      Hi Tony:

Just a little reminder to you that the Niagara Falls Open is on this weekend. It has been posted on the CFC website since last year. Our tournament was hoping that some players from your area would be coming to play in Niagara Falls.

John Erickson
      TD
      Niagara Falls Open
      Hi John,

Unfortunately we do not plan ahead and that is the only rent/arbiter combination for this time period (as you know we even cancelled our long-running Spring Regular this year). I would like to see higher attendance everywhere and will push harder to avoid conflicts.

Thanks.

Comment

Another quick tournament brought to you by veteran organizer Ed Thompson!

Our February quick had 24 players (including 2 international masters) and March quick had 34 players.

Preregister by e-mail to edthompson@netflash.net cc kwchessclub@gmail.com.

2019 Kitchener-Waterloo April Quick Tournament

Date: Saturday, April 27, 2019
        Place: Learning Room, Second floor, Kitchener City Hall, 200 King St. W., Kitchener, ON
        Rounds: 5 (10am, 11:30am, lunch, 1:30pm, 3pm, 4:30pm)
        Time Control: Game in 25 minutes plus 10 seconds delay per move (Bronstein)
        Sections (2)
        • Top six players (determined by CFC rating) will play a round robin tournament. Note that only players that do not require any byes are eligible.
        • All other players will play a Swiss tournament.
        • We reserve the right to combine, or otherwise modify, the sections if necessary.
        Entry Fee: $40 all players, $10 discount for juniors (under 17 years) and seniors (65 years or older). Cash only at site (ATM available).

Preregistration must be submitted by email to edthompson@netflash.net (cc kwchessclub@gmail.com) by April 25 to avoid the late fee. Payment to be made before 9:45 a.m. on tournament day at the site.
        Late registration – Before 9:30 a.m. on tournament day at the site. A $10 late fee will be charged.

Miscellaneous:
        • Clocks and sets will be supplied.
        • Several restaurants are near the site.
        • Parking is available street side and underground at the site. Parking fees apply.
        Last edited by Tony Li; Tuesday, 16th April, 2019, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Tony:

I post my tournament a year in advance, so that I can guarantee my weekend. I have also looked around to make sure no one else has booked that weekend.

If you don't want a conflict, don't run a tournament on the weekend already scheduled.

It seems that you want to run a tournament and therefore ran one anyways. Your actions are different than what you say.

I don't mean to get angry, but there are other options.

John

Comment

I think the biggest culprit is the Ontario Chess Association. At one time you could have confidence in this organization and all Organizers respected other Organizers. Then One Year we had two Organizers running tournaments the same weekend. Vucko vs Dutton Easter Weekend and Kitchener vs Toronto Labour Day Open.
            Last Year there was a low turnout at the Kitchener Chess Festival because another group ran a tournament shortly after.
            It seems to me that some organizers want all the spotlight attention and they want to push out the established Organizers that have been running tournaments for 15+ years. Aurora has set a tournament for years in the spring yet the Mississauga Chess club runs a tournament a few weeks before.As far as I know Mississauga runs tournaments in the winter. If the OCA does not monitor tournaments and allow established organizers who book sites more than a year in advance To have priority bookings then you'll more than likely lose all organizers. Prices will go up as those who are running tournaments will have a monopoly and you will see a decline in local events. If that is what the OCA wants then good luck to them. I live in Ontario yet I have never been asked by the OCA voting on what the players of Ontario want. Northern Ontario has basically been left out of Ontario loop for years . Why is that? It is because the OCA does not see past SWOC ECOA and GTA (W) . It is really time that we dissolve the OCA and let the CFC book Organizer tournaments and if there is a conflicting tournament then you don't rate it.

Comment

Another exciting quick tournament on April 27 brought to you by veteran organizer Ed Thompson! 9 more days to preregister!

Comment

Tony:

I know that the Niagara Falls Open is a smaller tournament. I know that we draw a minimal amount of players from the Kitchener/Waterloo area. I do know it's an hour and a half to two hour drive to come to Niagara Falls. I've been to tournaments there and do like Ed Thompson!!

But to say that you care about other tournaments is a LIE!! I tried to be nice, but if you really cared, you would run your tournament on another day.

Kitchener and Guelph get the most players to their tournaments because they are in the center of SWOCL and players have quicker access via travel time than most other areas. If you run a tournament opposite other parts of SWOCL, you are saying that we aren't as important as your area. Like I said before, actions speak louder than words.

I work nights and weekends and am limited in the amount of tournaments I can run and play in. By running your event, you are hurting other organizers and make it to the point that running a tournament outside the hub of SWOCL, isn't worthwhile. You are hurting players from those areas.

Hope you have a successful tournament, but it's guaranteed that I will never play in one of yours because of your contempt for other areas of SWOCL.

John

Comment

Preregistered List (7)

Khary Lambie 1937
                  Ron Leblanc 1876
                  Istvan Kiss 1775
                  Victor Lefort 1546
                  Kyle D Vander Welle 1434
                  Nicole Chiriac 1202
                  Aiden Li 913

Comment

I remember Ron Leblanc when he was a Junior. He must be over 19 by now.

Comment

Originally posted by John Erickson View Post
                      Tony:

I know that the Niagara Falls Open is a smaller tournament. I know that we draw a minimal amount of players from the Kitchener/Waterloo area. I do know it's an hour and a half to two hour drive to come to Niagara Falls. I've been to tournaments there and do like Ed Thompson!!

But to say that you care about other tournaments is a LIE!! I tried to be nice, but if you really cared, you would run your tournament on another day.

Kitchener and Guelph get the most players to their tournaments because they are in the center of SWOCL and players have quicker access via travel time than most other areas. If you run a tournament opposite other parts of SWOCL, you are saying that we aren't as important as your area. Like I said before, actions speak louder than words.

I work nights and weekends and am limited in the amount of tournaments I can run and play in. By running your event, you are hurting other organizers and make it to the point that running a tournament outside the hub of SWOCL, isn't worthwhile. You are hurting players from those areas.

Hope you have a successful tournament, but it's guaranteed that I will never play in one of yours because of your contempt for other areas of SWOCL.

John
                      Hi John Erickson,

I have been to your tournaments a couple of time and was intending to attend your tournament but alas, this year tournament is restricted to over age 19 and above. Otherwise, you will have additional 3 players more. Thanks for organizing tournaments all these years at Niagara Falls. I am sure players appreciate your efforts

Comment

Gary:
                        We chose our format this year because the site is too small, due to recent renovations, to service a large amount of Juniors ,parents and siblings. The majority of Participants in the past have been Adults and because we are moving to a bigger site in 2020 we felt that our final year at the Shrine Hall should be for the adults only. Our new site will be available again for all ages.
                        Last edited by John Brown; Friday, 19th April, 2019, 08:59 AM. Reason: additions

Comment

Preregistered List (11)

Khary Lambie 1937
                          Ron Leblanc 1876
                          Istvan Kiss 1775
                          Mike McDonald 1675
                          Victor Lefort 1546
                          Kyle D Vander Welle 1434
                          Samuel Zhao 1367
                          Ziad Kayssi 1352
                          Nicole Chiriac 1202
                          Anya Singh 985
                          Aiden Li 913

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
                            Preregistered List (11)

Khary Lambie 1937
                            Ron Leblanc 1876
                            Istvan Kiss 1775
                            Mike McDonald 1675
                            Victor Lefort 1546
                            Kyle D Vander Welle 1434
                            Samuel Zhao 1367
                            Ziad Kayssi 1352
                            Nicole Chiriac 1202
                            Anya Singh 985
                            Aiden Li 913
                            We are still at 11 players. A reminder that the preregistration deadline is tomorrow (Thu).

Preregister by e-mail to edthompson@netflash.net or kwchessclub@gmail.com!

Comment

We are now at an even 12. Pre-registration with discount ends Thursday. You are still encouraged to pre-register on Friday to help expedite same day check in process.

Preregister by e-mail to edthompson@netflash.net or kwchessclub@gmail.com!

Preregistered List (12)

Khary Lambie 1937
                              Ron Leblanc 1876
                              Istvan Kiss 1775
                              Mike McDonald 1675
                              Victor Lefort 1546
                              Kyle D Vander Welle 1434
                              Samuel Zhao 1367
                              Ziad Kayssi 1352
                              Nicole Chiriac 1202
                              Henry Yao 1057
                              Anya Singh 985