45 Lee Ji Won 4 4 Chau Matthew
    46 Li Allen 4 4 Chau Jonathan
    47 Douglas Steven 4 3 Chocina Adam
    48 De Leon Raf Adrik 3 3 Bilodeau-Savaria Sandy-Rose
    49 Paulsen Lorenz 3 Liao Austin
    50 Brian Murray Hay John
    Guillemette Hugo 5 0 Withdrawn
    Gougeon Patrick 0 Withdrawn

It can't be said that GM Bareev got away with a Swiss sack, losing his first round game for easier pairings. No!! He scored 5/6 against the top 14 players, defeating the other two GMs and two IMs.

IM Samsonkin played the most of the top finishers, scoring 5/8. IM Noritsyn 5/7, GM Hambleton 4.5/7, and IM Thavandiran 4/7.

Players who played all 3 GMs:
    Nikolay Noritsyn +1-2, and Mark Plotkin =1-2.

1 GM Bareev Evgeny 2642 10b0 2b1 9w1 4w1 6b1 3b1 5/6
    2 IM Thavandiran Shiyam 2412 11w1 6w½ 8b½ 1w0 14b1 7b1 4w0 4/7
    3 GM Hambleton Aman 2484 14w1 7w½ 8w½ 6b½ 10w1 4b1 1w0 4.5/7
    4 IM Noritsyn Nikolay 2489 5b1 12w1 9b1 7w1 1b0 3w0 2b1 5/7
    5 Dukic Zachary 2167 4w0 8b1 6w0 9w1 7b0 2/5
    6 FM Plotkin Mark 2326 2b½ 9w0 3w½ 5b1 1w0 8w1 3/6
    7 IM Samsonkin Artiom 2424 13b1 10w½ 3b½ 12w1 4b0 11w1 2w0 5w1 5/8
    8 FM Chiku-Ratte Olivier Kenta 2406 9b½ 2w½ 3b½ 5w0 12w½ 6b0 2/6
    9 GM Yang Kaiqi 2505 8w½ 6b1 4w0 1b0 5b0 14w 1.5/6
    10 CM Doknjas Joshua 2203 1w1 7b½ 3b0 21w½ 15b 2/5
    11 Tremblay Rejean 2146 2b0 7b0 13w½ 12b 0.5/4
    12 FM Findlay Ian 2233 4b0 7b0 8b½ 11w 0.5/4
    13 Noritsyn Sergey 2159 7w0 11b½ 22w 0.5/3
    14 Masse Hugues 2163 3b0 2w0 9b 0/3
    Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Monday, 22nd April, 2019, 07:00 PM. Reason: added result

Comment

I am safely back home after a fabulous Easter Weekend in Kingston. What a pleasure to play in someone else's tournament! Although I was in frequent contact with Aris, Danny and Omar about general tournament matters, my duties as Appeals Committee Chair were quite light - there were no appeals. This is a testament to the competence of the Arbiter team and the thoughtful organization of the tournament. Aris chose a great venue with reasonable room rates that included breakfast. The playing area, washrooms and skittles room were all on the same floor. This made Frank Dixon's job as the Fair Play officer more manageable. John Upper operated the broadcast on 4 DGT boards without incident (the 5th one had a defect but it was still used.) It was the best run Zonal championship in my memory, and the class players could watch the magic unfold while creating memories of their own in every round.

Being able to stay and play in the same hotel is a luxury. I encourage all of you to mark your calendar for next year's rendition. Aris has created something special - an affordable 9 rounder with a good prize fund in a beautiful city. Only 350 more sleeps till the next one!

Comment

Hopefully the date for the next one is announced ASAP. I'd love to go but I have to announce my entire 2020 work schedule by September.... Ridiculous.

Comment

I think that plan is to have tournaments over the Easter weekend for the next 3 years at the same venue. The next zonal tournament is to be in 2021 and woman's zonal will be in 2020 and 2022.
          That should help you planing your schedule and Aris will provide more details for sure.

Comment

Hi Hal, Did you win your section?

Comment

He finished third.
              Results and final rankings are available on chess-results.com

http://chess-results.com/tnr433424.a...n=1&art=1&rd=9

Comment

Adding to what Hal Bond said, the parking was free, normally $20 by day. Making a 9 rounds under $1000 with entry fee, hotel, transportation and food is great. When i played to New York, i found an hotel near Marshall Chess club and i used to have a little room with common shower and common bathroom - 1 by floor and wing - for $180 in canadien money by night without parking.

Congratulations to Aris and his team! See you next year for sure!

Réjean Tremblay

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
                  I think that plan is to have tournaments over the Easter weekend for the next 3 years at the same venue. The next zonal tournament is to be in 2021 and woman's zonal will be in 2020 and 2022.
                  That should help you planing your schedule and Aris will provide more details for sure.
                  That's bang on Alex, thanks. During the Women's Zonal years, we'll have a Canadian Closed section, again strictly for 2200 and up, which gives some chance of norms (an IM norm this year!)

And 3-4 Sectionals (2019 = U2200/U1900/U1600) I just got home after returning everything I borrowed for the tournament. More thorough report coming tomorrow, or whenever I next wake up.

Until then, see chess-results.com

Comment

Originally posted by Réjean Tremblay View Post
                    Adding to what Hal Bond said, the parking was free, normally $20 by day. Making a 9 rounds under $1000 with entry fee, hotel, transportation and food is great. When i played to New York, i found an hotel near Marshall Chess club and i used to have a little room with common shower and common bathroom - 1 by floor and wing - for $180 in canadien money by night without parking.

Congratulations to Aris and his team! See you next year for sure!

Réjean Tremblay
                    Thanks Rejean!

And the Quebec representation was GREAT! See you again!

Comment

Games are still being entered. The top section should be complete in the next day or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        Games are still being entered. The top section should be complete in the next day or two.
                        Hugh, Danny has all the scoresheets and will be arranging to get them to you in Montreal. We had awesomely good submission rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Hugh, Danny has all the scoresheets and will be arranging to get them to you in Montreal. We had awesomely good submission rates.
                          I got them all from him. Everything was neatly sorted, etc.

I noticed the scoresheets were an unusual 5.5" x 11" (rather than the standard 5.5" x 8.5" (i.e. a standard 11" x 8.5" sheet cut in half)). Would there have been a extra charge for this non-standard size?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

I got them all from him. Everything was neatly sorted, etc.

I noticed the scoresheets were an unusual 5.5" x 11" (rather than the standard 5.5" x 8.5" (i.e. a standard 11" x 8.5" sheet cut in half)). Would there have been a extra charge for this non-standard size?
                            I don't know how the prices compare, does anyone care?

John Upper made the GREAT recommendation to have boxes that were bigger than usual, so that when players write their moves, they didn't bleed as much into the next box above/below.

As a result, and also including useful info like time control, the scoresheets were longer than "usual". Everyone seemed fine with them, and I trust the increased clarity helped with game entry.

The Organizer (me) expects they'll be similar for next year.

Comment

Great tournament, great organization and great players! Congrats to Evgeny Bareev for a well deserved victory and also Mark Plotkin for his second IM norm. I think Evgeny was getting warmed up and played some very impressive chess. Looking forward to playing next year. Thank you Aris!

Comment

Working...
                              X