GM's signature playing style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM's signature playing style?

Morphy's playing style, Capablanca's, Petrosian's ...Tal's ...etc... if you played thru a game score without having seen the game before nor whom the participants were, would you be able to determine the participants?

probably tal and morphy as they have the exciting tactical explosions in there games and possibly Casablanca if looking at his end games.

Comment

I dont know about modern masters but I remember Nick doing it and Milan Vukadinov, amongst others. Lawrence used to quote rhyme, chapter, and verse (variations and games) of the greats and then pick a book (amongst a thousand) off the shelf to show the reference. Frank Pushkedra was exceptionally good at it. I was great at Morphy games, Alekhines gems, Tal's and Fischer's but not anymore. Its all up there but I can only access bits at a time. Im sure there are several old time Ottawa masters who can do it. (thats remembering games) I know you are referring to styles of the greats - often can be done but sometimes one is fooled.

Comment

Thanks so much Henri and Hans, very helpful!

"...exciting tactical explosions..." Great descriptive phrase!

"...styles of the greats - often can be done but sometimes one is fooled." Yes, that seems to be the overarching issue.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
          probably tal and morphy as they have the exciting tactical explosions in there games and possibly Casablanca if looking at his end games.
          Casablanca was a movie.
          Jose R. Capablanca was a Chess World Champion

Comment

okay well auto correct hates me .... yes I meant to say capablanca

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
              okay well auto correct hates me .... yes I meant to say capablanca
              3 min clip showing Bogart's 'explosive tactics' ... chess scene from Casablanca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnxhEzju58

Thanks again Henri! I needed to see this ... I had forgotten all about Humphrey Bogart as a chess player !!

Comment

Working...
              X