Welcome to Montreal - all Open players!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CO - Rd. 4/ Incoming Gov. AGM

Just a short report on Rd. 4 U 2000 - another day of no Toronto pairings - hooray. I myself got back in the win column - but I was up 2 pawns, and got greedy and grabbed a third. Error....all of a sudden he had counterplay, threats of perpetual, threats of queening a pawn, etc.; he won back 2 of the 3 pawns, but I finally managed ( we were both down to our last 10 min. ) to queen my final extra P.

Don't like to use excuses, but maybe I was a bit tired from our 6 hour incoming governors AGM earlier in the day. Some stuff got accomplished, and here is what happened to the 7 grassroots restructuring motions ( that got ruled out of order Monday, and then subsequently got tabled to the Tuesday meeting ):

Motion # 1 – Moved – Barry Thorvardson; Seconded – Cesary Posylek: Item 1 set out below is acceptable.
    “ 1. Core Roles: CFC will continue its role re FIDE, international and national events, a national rating system, and a website with membership info, ratings, membership sales, tournament announcements, chess club lists, and news submitted by members (highlights of recent tournament, etc.). Maintenance of these functions will be the responsibility of the Executive Director.”

Commentary - Ruled out of order again by the Chair, Maurice Smith, on the grounds that it was just a general statement of the way things are. The motion was somewhat trying to counter the plan for outsourcing the ratings and website. This ruling was not such a disaster, since the Request for Proposals Restructuring Committee of the CFC rejected all outsourcing bids presented to them, and so there were no motions/recommendations from them to outsource.

Motion # 2 – Moved – Michael Barron; Seconded – Barry Thorvardson: Item 2 set out below is acceptable.
    “ 2. CFC Revenue: CFC revenues to come from memberships, rating fees, investments and donations. With the reduced scope of operation, costs for the organization should be less, and it may be possible to reduce annual membership fees and/or rating fees. “

Commentary - Ruled out of order by the Chair, Maurice Smith, as being a generalized statement of the way things are. The problem was that the main thrust of the motion was the second part indicating a reduction of the annual membership fee if finances allowed. But there was movement on this front as a motion was passed that in part, reduced the annual adult membership fee to $ 30 from $ 36 ( though it raised the rating fee from $ 3/player/event to $ 5 ). So we did get some movement on this particular issue.

Motion # 3 – Moved – Barry Thorvardson; Seconded – Chris Mallon: Item 3 set out below is acceptable.
    “ 3. CFC Membership: CFC to eliminate tournament memberships – if you want to play in a CFC tournament, you must purchase an annual membership. To encourage individuals to become members, first time CFC members will be given a 40% fee reduction for their first year. “

Commentary - This motion got divided into two separate motions, since one part deals with tournament memberships, and the other with annual membership fees. But both got passed - but remember this was only a straw vote, and so still now needs a regular motion to implement this " opinion " of the governors.

Motion # 4 – Moved – Michael Barron; Seconded – Mark Dutton: Item 4 set out below is acceptable.
    “ 4. Chess Canada: CFC will terminate the magazine contract with TKS immediately (with the May 2008 issue being the last issue of the magazine). “

Commentary - passed - again it was only a straw vote. But later there was a binding motion put forward that : " to replace the print magazine with an on-line magazine " ( though the definition of what will be meant by an " online magazine " was left elastic - it likely will not be the print magazine on a website - still too expensive ) - this motion will go into the GL# 1 to be processed in the normal snail mail fashion.

Motion # 5 – Moved – Michael Barron; Seconded – Gary Gladstone: Item 5 set out below is acceptable.
    “ 5. Retail Business: Sell off the inventory of the retail business; it will be closed entirely. An alternative but small source of revenue could be established through a commission arrangement with other retailers, such as CMA or Amazon. “

Commentary - this motion was brought to the Assembly for discussion. But as the discussion ensued, concerns were raised that if the motion passed, it would negatively affect our bargaining position with potential buyers of the business. So the chair, Smith, reconsidered and again ruled this motion out of order due to ongoing negotiations. Again however, there was movement on this front, as a motion was brought " to sell the book inventory " ( at a discount " going out of the book business " basis ). This motion again was sent to GL # 1 to be dealt with in the normal manner. Some people are holding out to still sell equipment and software; some want out totally , but with a commission arrangement of some kind with someone like CMA - this is still swimming around as it has been for 1 1/2 years, and now there is still no firm decision of the governors on this.

Motion # 6 – Moved – Michael Barron; Seconded – Barry Thorvardson: Item 6 set out below is acceptable.
    “ 6. CFC Condominium Office: The current CFC office would be placed for sale. The office would then be run out of either a small rental space or a home office. “

Commentary - Ruled out of order by the Chair, Smith, as being initimately intwined with the sale of the retail business - as long as we do business, we need space - and since the Retail Business motion was out of order, so was this one. Again however, the motion caused movement - a motion was passed that 1/2 of the building be leased. This is because some won't consider selling until they know what the carrying costs still are if the building can generate some revenue to help cover them. Then we will know if keeping/leasing is a viable option. I think there will be problems leasing ( a glut of available space apparently, and so the rental rate to get tenants will have to be low ). I think the building will still prove too expensive ( we cannot afford any expenses that can be eliminated ), and with a softening real estate market, the building will go down in value if we continue to hold it over the next few years

Motion # 7 – Moved – Michael Barron; Seconded – Nava Starr: Item 7 set out below is acceptable.
    “ 7. CFC Staffing: In light of the reduced business activities of the CFC office (no retail sales and no print magazine), the Executive Committee would undertake a review of the Executive Director and Assistant positions and would recommend appropriate staffing changes if required. This could be from going to part-time, up to complete eliminating of the paid staff, and performing all CFC activities by volunteers. “

Commentary - Ruled out of order by the Chair, Smith, as being too general in nature. Again, not a disaster, as the Executive will be forced to evaluate staffing after restructuring - we just wanted to make it mandatory that they do it for sure.

So the grassroots campaign has had an influence on events, despite the fact that only 2 of the 7 motions ended up getting passed. It framed the debate on restructuring, and its ideas were brought home to all the governors, the Executive, and the RFP Restructuring Committee, as well as all the CFC general membership. I guess we could claim divided success - and now we must look at whether we should now bring some binding motions to implement the grassroots ideas that are still not yet implemented.

Bob

Comment

Re: CO - Rd. 4/ Incoming Gov. AGM

Since a straw poll is just an informal expression of intent I don't see what's so wrong with allowing them to be voted on. Also I could be wrong but I don't think you can retroactively rule a motion out of order once discussion has started taking place! Of course they all were retroactively ruled out of order on Monday... so what else is new?

I'm curious as to why David Lavin was not chairing the meeting after being elected?
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : Welcome to Montreal - all Open players!

Is Cafe Pi a good place for kids? Or there is only old people? :p

Comment

Re: Welcome to Montreal - all Open players!

Yes - kids (as well as "old" people who act like kids) show up at Cafe Pi often.

Comment

Straw votes are only opinions. Smith ruling the taking of the temperature of the Governors out of order was incorrect and should have been challenged. Even if they were motions he was on shaking ground in some cases.

Comment

Re: CO - Rds. 1 & 2

"Of interest may be a slight friendly controversy I had with my 2nd round opponent. He screwed up his scoring and asked to borrow mine to straighten his out. After he finished, he informed me that I was illegally recording the time of the moves on my scoresheet and that I had to stop. I always thought you could do this, and have seen all kinds of players doing it. So I called the arbiter. Lo and behold, this arbiter for the U 2000 upheld my opponent's objection, and I had to stop recording the times. I later checked again on this ruling with the TO, Richard Berube. He advised me that it was a matter of interpretation of the arbiter, and he implied that some arbiters do allow writing the time, in their interpretation. But mine didn't, and I guess that was that. Anyone else run into this before?" - Bob Armstrong

And this is a big reason why you will never again see me play in a tournament in the province of Quebec; incompetent directing/organizing. Not only is the recording of clock times not prohibited, it is SPECIFICALLY listed as a permitted activity under the FIDE Laws of Chess and consequently is permitted in any CFC event.

Comment

I would say that overall it is a great event!

Comment

Re: CO - Rd. 5 ( Wednesday, July 23 )

Well the Toronto pairings syndrome struck again. As I've said before, there are 9 Torontonians in the U 2000 group in Montreal, Quebec. In Rd. 5, 2 Torontonians got paired again. Uwe Hahnewald, from Scarborough CC, who is staying at the Royal Victoria Residence of McGill University ( he is a blind player ), got paired against former SCC member, Jaime Solis, who is also staying at the university residence. On Wed. morning the two of them, myself and Mario Moran went down to breakfast together. As we sat at the table, Mario first asked Uwe if he'd like to know who he was playing that evening ( Mario had gotten the pairings off the MonRoi site ). Uwe said no, he just wanted to know what colour he was playing . Then Mario asked the same question of Jaime, who was sitting across from Uwe. He also said no it didn't matter to him. Mario, Jaime and Uwe all walked over to the playing hall together yesterday. Then when they went to check the pairings, they found out they were playing each other !

On Tuesday, I had been quite tired after my 5-hr, difficult Rd. 4 game, and forgot to post my win. So I had been assigned only a draw, since the TD had no idea what the result had been. On Wednesday, before the round, I spoke with the TD, Richard Berube, apologized, and asked if it was too late now to correct the crosstable. He said it was no problem, but of course it was too late to change the pairings for Rd. 5. So I had 2/4 pts ( 50 % ) going into Rd. 5.

I managed a win against my young opponent in Rd. 5:). In a relatively equal position, he decided to give up a B + N for a R + P. So I ended up on a relatively open board, with 2 B's vs R + P. I think when I get to analyze this game, Fritz will likely disapprove of this decision, since I did go on to build an attack thereafter, and forced him to sack his Q for a R, and he was finished.So this now leaves me at 60 % ( 3/5 pts. ), which had been my goal when starting the tournament. The question is can I hold it now?

Comment

Re: Re : Welcome to Montreal - all Open players!

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                    Is Cafe Pi a good place for kids? Or there is only old people? :p
                    It all depends of your definition of "old", Félix !

There are many players about age 30, so twice your age. Are they old ? As for me, I'm more than twice their age. So I see them as young :)

You yourself would be considered old by some youngsters playing in the tournament you're in ;)

But Mister Gilman, playing in your tournament, would consider me as a baby... he's 95 years young !!!

No typo : 95 !!!!... (according to Yves Casaubon).

http://fqechecs.qc.ca/index.php?typ=...rj&nofqe=79075

Comment

Re: CO - Rd. 5 ( Wednesday, July 23 )

In the U 2000 section, Torontonian Omar Shah ( 1904 ) is alone in first, undefeated, with 5 pts. In Rd. 6 he is paired against Kenny Ah-Lan ( 1804 ), in second place with 4.5 pts., having only given up one draw.

In Rd.6, mercifully, there are no Toronto pairings in the U 2000.

Bob

Comment

Re: CO - Rds. 1 & 2

Bob and Alvah, I don't see the room for different "interpretation" on this one. Looking online, where the FIDE laws and CFC laws seem to be copies of each other, Article 12.3 clearly confirms your correct interpretations:

"The scoresheet shall be used only for recording the moves, the times of the clocks, the offers of a draw, matters relating to a claim and other relevant data."

Comment

Re: CO - Rd. 6 ( Thursday, July 24 )

On Thursday, three of us Torontonians staying at the McGill University residence decided that we needed to study up on the knight for Rd. 6 that evening. Mario, Jaime and I therefore set off around 1:00 pm for an afternoon of study. We headed to the movie theatre, and saw..... you guessed it..... " The Dark Knight " !! Now you may be skeptical about our maintaining that the afternoon helped our chess. But sure enough, in Rd. 6 later that night, I was in a bad position out of the opening ( what else is new this tournament )- I was down the exchange, but had a pawn compensation, but it was doubled. I was " dark ". Suddenly my opponent gave me an opening - my dark knight sacrificed itself on e6 with a " check ". Now my opponent could have just taken the knight, and it would have been an exchange of N's, with me getting some initiative. But he panicked and sacked back the exchange, and I went up a P !! The " dark knight " has awesome powers ! I don't know if I would have seen that sacrifice if it hadn't been for all the " Dark Knight " moves we watched all afternoon. You just never know where you'll find help for chess ! By the way, this win gives me 4/6 pts. ( 67 % ), higher than my original goal when I started the tournament.

In the U 2000 section ( there are 9 of us Torontonians and former Torontonians in the section ), there were no Toronto pairings this round. Torontonian, Omar Shah, kept up his unbeaten streak and now has 6/6 pts., to stand alone in first, a full point ahead of second place. There is only one player in second, with 5 pts. All Torontonians in the tournament should know that the pressure is mounting on Omar to take us all out to dinner with his hoped-for winnings :D !

Bob

Comment

Hey Bob,

Nice to hear everyone is having a good time at The Open. Keep on posting your updates. I like hearing news of the event, in particular how you and the other SCC-ers are doing. Last I checked Alex Ferreira's having a good tourney too.

Comment

Re: CO - Rd. 7 ( Friday, July 25 )

Nice afternoon being a Quebec tourist - we went to the Biodome ( great place ), the Insectarium ( never seen so many coloured beetles, butterflies and moths ) and the Botanical Gardens ( the Japanese Bonzai house and garden are really lovely ). The gardens are so big, when we did the other two, we had little time left to do the gardens. Maybe another CO in future !

Torontonian, Omar Shah, continued his unbelievable winning streak with his 7th consective win. In second, 1 1/2 pts. behind, are a number of players with 5.5 pts. All Omar needs now is a draw in the last 2 rounds and he wins the U 2000 section. Amazingly, given that there are 10 Torontonians and former Torontonians in the section, there were no Toronto pairings in Rd. 7.

I'm in a group of 5 in third place with 5 pts. ( 71 % - better than I had hoped at the beginning of the tournament :D ). I played the Black side of a standard KID. White made a few weak moves, and gave me the time I needed to develop a powerful attack ( I offered an exchange sacrifice as part of it, but he saw taking it lost, and so declined ). The game only went 27 moves, and took 2 hrs. 15 min..I can expect a tough pairing tomorrow - can I extend my winning streak to 5 games in a row??

After 7 rounds, the U 2000 Torontonians rank as follows in the 77 player section:

# 1 - Omar Shah - 7 pts.
                              # 6 - Alex Ferreira - 5 pts.
                              # 8 - Bob Armstrong - 5 pts.
                              # 15 - Tyler Longo - 4.5 pts.
                              # 25 - Jamie Solis - 4 pts.
                              # 40 - Uwe Hahnewald - 3.5 pts.
                              # 47 - Michael Perez - 3 pts.
                              # 51 - Mario Moran-Venegas - 3 pts.
                              # 63 - Michael Sharpe - 2 pts.
                              # 74 - Cesary Posylek - 1 pt. ( wd )

Bob

Comment

Re: CO - Rd. 8 ( Saturday, July 26 )

The U 2000 section suddenly got thrown open when Torontonian Omar Shah, leading by 1 1/2 pts., got defeated today by the top player with 5.5 pts. So Omar has 7 pts. still and is still in first alone. But there are 2 players tied for 2nd/3rd with 6.5 pts.. Omar will play one of them in the final round tomorrow ( one of them was the one who defeated him today ), and the other 6.5 will play the top rated player with 6 pts.. There are 2 of us tied for 4th/5th ( me being one ! :D ) with 6 pts., but the other player is higher rated, so they will play the other 6.5 player. That leaves me to play the top-rated player with 5.5 pts.. That player is rated 1950 ( my rating is 1783 ) ! So I have 5 consecutive wins now, and have my hands full tomorrow trying to get a 6th consecutive win, and a share of the prize money - likely tied 3rd/4th if I win.The other Torontonian ranked higher than me today was Alex Ferreira, but he could only manage a draw today, so I become the 2nd highest ranked Torontonian in our section ( out of 10 ) - a heavy burden to carry for our fair city ! Tomorrow I'll post the rankings after 8 rounds of the Torontonians/former Torontonians in the section.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X