3rd Aurora Chess Day - July 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tournament Organizing Financial Transparency

Bryan Lamb in Toronto used to post his full accounting usually by the end of the 4th round. I thought it was a great practice!

Regular chess-players do NOT know the costs associated with organizing, and yet they will always complain about chess-associated costs on anything from tournaments to chess books.......and they only find out everything isn't a free lunch by being educated in this way......and players could decide if Bryan was "ripping them off" with too high entry fees, and complain and refuse to play in his subsequent tournaments.

Amazingly, Bryan was a respected organizer and got good numbers to his tournaments.......and I recollect almost no complaints about the financial side of Bryan's operating (Others can correct me on this if I am mis-remembering)

This practice is abhorred by the organizers who are capitalism-oriented.......the private sector needs to show no one how much their bottom-line profit is.....if you are concerned, just don't play!!

If I am paying, I really don't see why I shouldn't know what part is profit to the recipient........is there a good reason, other than it IS a "rip-off", and is being hidden from the paying public?

Bob A

Comment

Last edited by Serge Archambault; Wednesday, 4th September, 2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Well, if people really think the organizer can make good money with tournament, why not join us to organize some tournaments, we do need more tournaments. I would not recommend for detailed accounting, as people can still challenge why not buy something at wholesale price, etc,

BTW, the insurance is mandatory when we book rooms from library or school board, and the insurance is based on the number of people on-site, one junior player normally mean 2 or 3 people on-site.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post
          Well, if people really think the organizer can make good money with tournament, why not join us to organize some tournaments, we do need more tournaments. I would not recommend for detailed accounting, as people can still challenge why not buy something at wholesale price, etc,
          I want to be clear - I don't begrudge anyone trying to make money running chess tournaments. I might personally feel it's not enough value for me to play, but that doesn't mean other people don't feel the same. I would just like to know what the facts are in making my decision to play or not play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Tournament Organizing Financial Transparency

Bryan Lamb in Toronto used to post his full accounting usually by the end of the 4th round. I thought it was a great practice!

Regular chess-players do NOT know the costs associated with organizing, and yet they will always complain about chess-associated costs on anything from tournaments to chess books.......and they only find out everything isn't a free lunch by being educated in this way......and players could decide if Bryan was "ripping them off" with too high entry fees, and complain and refuse to play in his subsequent tournaments.

Amazingly, Bryan was a respected organizer and got good numbers to his tournaments.......and I recollect almost no complaints about the financial side of Bryan's operating (Others can correct me on this if I am mis-remembering)

This practice is abhorred by the organizers who are capitalism-oriented.......the private sector needs to show no one how much their bottom-line profit is.....if you are concerned, just don't play!!

If I am paying, I really don't see why I shouldn't know what part is profit to the recipient........is there a good reason, other than it IS a "rip-off", and is being hidden from the paying public?

Bob A
            There was a history of Toronto organizers showing the expenses breakdown going back to at least the '70s. The main goal was to show that the advertised 70% of entry fees went to prizes. This total may not include late fees. A weekender TD got like $2 or $3 a player. Doing pairings & crosstables by hand was harder work and the long hours made the salary less than the minimum wage; It is only a part-time job. For a period in the '90s a dedicated group of organizers worked for free and got hotel halls for free so the prize funds were higher.

Compared to then, a 50% expenses for a one-day event seems poor. Organizers are taking a risk of losing money from a low turnout, and these days have to buy insurance and pay FIDE fees. But there is also the eternal issue, such as does a lower entry fee attract more casual players? Or does a higher entry fee and higher prizes attract more top players?

Comment

And not all return to players is cash. There are trophies! Also could be costs for coffee and cream, or pizza. Big events have given out t-shirts.

Sometimes could get a sponsor to donate a trophy, esp. an annual one. Nice to get a sponsor to pay for an ad on printed items like scoresheets, rule sheet, and paper boards that the players can take home.

Added to costs nowdays is having a website, taking and posting photos. Emailing flyers in advance, and maybe a thank you afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

Does a lower entry fee attract more casual players? Or does a higher entry fee and higher prizes attract more top players?
                In general - I would say higher prizes and correspondingly high entry fees attract more top players. However - there is a limit. The World Open charges around $300 for $100k in prizes. The Millionaire Open failed with its $1000+ entry fees and $1 million in prizes with only about 500 players. Lower entry fees attract more (and lower-rated) players, and those who aren't interested in prizes. (I personally won't pay in the hundreds to play in an event in which I'm probably not going to win anything. I want to play more "for fun" than for prizes, so I will look for events with lower entry fees.). In a perfect world - 100% (or more) of entry fees would go into prizes - with sponsors covering everything else - e.g. Saint John 1988.

.One cost that has been eliminated is the cost of envelopes and stamps to mail out a couple of hundred tournament announcements.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

.One cost that has been eliminated is the cost of envelopes and stamps to mail out a couple of hundred tournament announcements.
                  The cost of mailing flyers was replaced by the mailing of a bi-monthly magazine to all CFC members. Nowdays, the CFC is incapable of emailing bi-monthly tournament announcements to all CFC members.(I do receive the monthly tournament listings from the USCF and emails from some of the local organizers).

Comment

There is 35 players on the list at this moment.

After Cristian-Gabriel Craciun (Romania, 1345) joined the tournament, it became an international one :)

Comment

A very strong player entered the tournament - FM Nicholas Vettese. His 2415 rating points are highest in the Aurora Chess Day of the registered player. Last time Mark Plotkin brought 2404 and exited with 2420.
                      There is still time to arrange plans and enter the tournament.
                      SNo. Name Rtg Club
                      1 FM Vettese Nicholas 2415 On (Toronto)
                      2 Noritsyn Sergey 2337 On (Richmond Hill)
                      3 Lin Benjamin 2077 On (Toronto)
                      4 Profit Brian 2044 On (Trenton)
                      5 Li Hongyi 2001 On (Kitchener)
                      6 Berengolts Isai 1996 On (Richmond Hill)
                      7 Cater Brendan 1885 On (Brampton)
                      8 Xu Alex 1641 On (Oakville)
                      9 Wang Michael Grant 1503 On (Toronto)
                      10 Vijendra Vinushan 1502 On (Bradford)
                      11 Yao Henry 1501 On (Richmond Hill)
                      12 Hall William 1468 On (Aurora)
                      13 Mckay Josh 1453 On (Queensville)
                      14 Banic John 1447 On (Richmond Hill)
                      15 Gillis Doug 1353 On (Aurora)
                      16 Craciun Cristian-Gabriel 1345
                      17 Yang Lefan 1319 On (Markham)
                      18 Hadid Mohammed 1313 On (Mississauga)
                      19 Xu Leon 1289 On (Aurora)
                      20 Lin Joey 1285 On (Toronto)
                      21 Zhang Daniel 1278 On (Richmond Hill)
                      22 Chen Rae 1274 On (Mississauga)
                      23 Barbarich Zdravko 1234 On (Richmond Hill)
                      24 Singh Anya 1218 On (Markham)
                      25 Noritsyn Ivan 1188 On (Richmond Hill)
                      26 Pishdad M. Hassan 1146 On (Richmond Hill)
                      27 Qian Eric 1122 On (Newmarket)
                      28 Gao Heye 1085 On (Aurora)
                      29 Zhang Eric 975 On (Richmond Hill)
                      30 Li Triston 929 On (Aurora)
                      31 Au Ethan 871 On (Seneca Hill)
                      32 Zhu Jeremy 823 On (Richmond Hill)
                      33 Li Aiden 707 On (Kitchener)
                      34 Profit Oliver 668 On (Trenton)
                      35 Qian Ashley 570 On (Newmarket)
                      36 Yang Jayden 550 On (Richmond Hill)
                      37 Chen Alex 0 On (Aurora)
                      38 Hong Kaidong 0 On (Markham)

Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 22nd July, 2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Latest entries:
                        Josh Guo 2274 Markham, ON
                        Aayush Ajith 1860 Brampton, ON
                        Ajith Desikan 1823 Brampton, ON
                        Umang Piyush Dwivedi 1713 Scarborough, ON
                        Larry Yang 1279 North York, ON
                        Aarush Ajith 1042 Brampton, ON
                        Cameron Herbert 961 Hamilton, ON
                        Nora Wu 945 Richmond Hill, ON
                        Lucy Yang 939 Markham, ON
                        The counter is at 47.

Comment

50 players have already registered. That is the capacity of the playing hall.
                          Anyone registering from now on will be put on a waiting list.

Comment

The updated list with the freshest CFC rating were posted on the tournament website http://www.aucc.club/3rd-aurora-ches...s-day-players/
                            also http://chess-results.com/Tnr452314.aspx?lan=1 (the results will be posted here during the tournament )

I sent out a reminder about the tournament. If you have not received let me know.

In case someone wants to withdraw, let me know asap. There are several players willing to take your freed spot.

Comment

Working...
                            X