Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Some Member Concerns

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    As to the website, and inability to check ratings, etc., CFC has been hit by issues beyond its control. It has been hacked and viruses inserted it appears.
    I am not sure that is the case. The google diagnostic information indicated that some of the links led to pages that downloaded viruses. Monroi was reported to have been hacked so the message may have just been generated as a result of the Monroi link. The google information indicated that the problem occurred on one particular day.

I visited the CFC website during and after the google warnings first appeared and did not get any viruses or trojans or unexplained processes running on my computer nor did my computer behave in any way which would indicate that it had been compromised. Any reasonable web hosting company has protections built in to diagnose and prevent the websites it hosts from becoming infected and infecting others.

The CFC website does not appear to me to be all that complex. You don't shut down your company because of a virus or spyware. You fix it, remove the virus and move on. If it is a particularly nasty piece of malware, then you may have to reformat your computer although in recent years I haven't been finding that necessary as there are a lot of good (and often free) tools to fix the problems without having to resort to that drastic step. Back in the windows 95/98 days when you got above a couple of hundred infections it was often easier just to reformat.

And it may be the victim of having links to other sites on it, that are also infected. CFC has moved quickly to try to deal with this issue. Our office outsourcing contractor, GK Gillin, has been brought in to investigate, and has shut down the website for maintenance. This seems to have been a necessary step to deal with the problem.
    If this happened to me at work and I didn't have the website back up and running in a few minutes (or in extraordinary circumstances a few hours), I would justifiably be fired for incompetence. Does GK Gillin know what they are doing? Do they need help? Are there backups of the website?

Non-computer people might be taken in by explanations that the site needs to be taken down for maintenance but that doesn't fly for anyone who knows anything about IT.

This definitely causes inconvenience to the membership. But CFC is doing what it can to get the website back up and running as soon as possible, and back to good health, so there is no danger to members accessing the site. We do not yet know how extensive the damage is. We don't know if a new website is called for under the circumstances - apparently this option is being reviewed as to whether it is necessary, or perhaps preferable.
    A decent website rebuilt from scratch will take from two weeks to several months to complete depending on the complexity of the website and the competence and resources brought to bear on it. A very simple site may be up in a day or two but I don't think that is the situation here. It seems very strange to even suggest this option. Its sort of like someone's wife getting a 24 hour flu bug and the solution being to replace the wife with a new one. What are you going to do when wife number two gets the same flu bug?

In the meantime, CFC has to ask members to be patient while the difficulty is dealt with - the problem is not of CFC's making, and it is working on the solution. Hopefully, as Vlad has said above, it should not take a long time to rectify, and it would obviously be more timely if a new website is not required.
    Put the old one back up until the new website is ready. If you don't have the old site backed up then download the files you have and set up the hacked website files on a throwaway $120 computer which you can reformat as soon as you solve the problems with the current website.

FactoryDirect.ca has refurbished Dell 270/280GX computers that are perfect for this purpose.

Run diagnostics and some of the better anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware tools on this throwaway computer and find exactly which files (if any) on your computer and hence the web site have actual problems. Fix the problems or make the problem pages unavailable temporarily. Download the fixed website to a thumbdrive or usb hard drive and load it back onto the web server.

Move the website to a web hosting company with better security. The cost can be as little as $7 a month (POWWEB when I looked a few months ago) and shouldn't exceed $40 a month if you have a hosting company that nickles and dimes you depending on the features you want to access.

I hope the above goes some ways towards providing you with some responses to the members' comments you listed above. It is not an ideal situation at the moment, but I think there are credible answers to current member concerns you have raised. Hope this helps a bit.

Bob

Comment

Re: Some Member Concerns

Hi Vlad:

I am a technological Neanderthal. So I rely as best I can on the expertise of others. You seem knowledgeable on the topic of what may be wrong with the CFC Website.

Would you be willing to be a free, voluntary consultant on the problem, if EK Gillin wouild agree to bring you in to assist?

I have no idea if they need assistance. Maybe they feel they don't - but you seem to think that they are already taking too long to solve the problem; and that in any case something temporary in the meantime could easily be set up to continue member services while the main site is fixed. I don't have anything to do with the maintenance, but if you are volunteering, I'll gladly take the offer to President Eric to see what he & EK Gillin want to do with it, if anything.

They say too many cooks spoil the broth, but maybe another one here could help.

What do you think? If you are willing, send me an e-mail : bobarm@sympatico.ca .

Bob

Comment

Re: IS CFC website working

Hi Bob,

I am willing to help in any way that I can though the indication is that the problem is already solved but for some reason they are hesitating to put the site back up.

I deal with the same type of hesitancy all day long and I associate it with a lack of knowledge of computers which is fine as long as the users have knowledge in other areas (which all of my users do). My users do know enough to ask for help when they are out of their depth.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

There is still this message visible after accessing CFC website, as below:

" Reported Attack Site!

This web site at www.chess.ca has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners. "
          :)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            The google diagnostic information indicated that some of the links led to pages that downloaded viruses. Monroi was reported to have been hacked so the message may have just been generated as a result of the Monroi link.
            Vlad,

As I have stated previously in this thread, Windows Live One-Care picked up a virus twice while I was checking ratings and/or cross tables around a month or so ago. This has nothing to do with the link to the MonRoi site since I have never clicked on that link on the chess.ca website.

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
            Funny, I remember three weeks ago my Windows Live One-Care anti-everything software came up twice in the span of five minutes with a virus when I was accessing ratings on the chess.ca website. It has not happened again since then...
            Jordan
            Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Saturday, 12th September, 2009, 08:32 PM.
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
              Vlad,

As I have stated previously in this thread, Windows Live One-Care picked up a virus twice while I was checking ratings and/or cross tables around a month or so ago. This has nothing to do with the link to the MonRoi site since I have never clicked on that link on the chess.ca website.

Jordan
              Did you happen to notice what the particular virus was?

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Is the CFC website still down? Its been a while. It's the 13th and the first report came on August 28.

Alex

Comment

Hi Alex:

It is my understanding that the website is now fixed.

But the CFC needs to get clearance from Google, so they will stop the " virus warning ". This seems to be the reason for the delay getting the website back on stream.

If anyone on the exec. has further info, maybe they could post it here for everyone.

Bob

Comment

Hi Alex:

It is my understanding that the website is now fixed.

But the CFC needs to get clearance from Google, so they will stop the " virus warning ". This seems to be the reason for the delay getting the website back on stream.

If anyone on the exec. has further info, maybe they could post it here for everyone.

Bob
                    They need to put the site up and let us use Microsoft Explorer which doesn't give a warning or click past the warnings in Firefox. This is a real black eye for the CFC. The black eye is not because they got infected but that this was able to shut them, a web-based business, for two weeks and counting...

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      They need to put the site up and let us use Microsoft Explorer which doesn't give a warning or click past the warnings in Firefox. This is a real black eye for the CFC. The black eye is not because they got infected but that this was able to shut them, a web-based business, for two weeks and counting...

Vladimir Drkulec
                      Seconded...
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Bob:

As I said in another thread, all Google does is maintain a blacklist. The CFC doesn't need any "clearance" from Google or anybody else to put their website back up from what I can see. They have made a decision to keep the site down until it is no longer on Google's blacklist.

This decision doesn't make much sense to me given that not all browsers use the blacklist in the first place and the blacklist checking can be disabled within the browser (or the browser warnings ignored).

If the CFC is really concerned about being on this blacklist, and given that it could take weeks before Google scans their site again, it would make far more sense to put the site back up with an explanation about the blacklist warnings on the main page.

Steve

Comment

Maybe it is time for the poll:
                          What will be faster:
                          a. Kevin Spraggett will publish his memories about the Canadian chess.
                          b. The CFC will be online again :D

Comment

While the CFC site is down, we are all struggling to keep the communications open. I will take this opportunity to remind all SWOCL players of the new SWOCL website located at http://chess.servegame.com/swocl/news.php

I will try and keep all the tournament posting current, and hope that all club webmasters will add a link to the SWOCL site. I am missing the details on next London tournament on Sept 26th. Steve, please send me the details.

Thanks all.

Comment

Well, you might take a look at http://members.chess.ca/store/ which seems to have something to do with the CFC. Was that there before? There is a link to it at www.chess.ca.

Comment

Dumb question (1): since when is Google the gate-keeper of the internet?
                                Dumb question (2): if the website is off-line, how the heck is Google gonna scan it?

Comment

Working...
                                X