Banff Open 2019 Nov 9-11 Open for Entries - 1st 100 only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banff Open 2019 Nov 9-11 Open for Entries - 1st 100 only

This year the Banff Open will be in 2 sections. Over and under 1800. We will only be accepting entries in advance, not at the site.

Some of the highlights include
    i) A buffet style dinner at my house on Sunday night
    ii) Majestic view of the mountains from the playing site - This year our room is on the ground level, with easy access to outside to stand beside any elk or bears!
    iii) International Arbiter/Organizer Mark Dutton with be the Chief Arbiter. Ably assisted by his lovely wife Christine Dutton.
    iv) Nightly shows at the Banff Centre, which are TBA.
    v) Welcome to one of the most precious, protected places in the world. A visit here offers the chance to experience the spectacular Canadian Rocky Mountains and glacier-fed lakes, wildlife at its wildest and small-town charm that only Banff can offer.

Don't delay, enter today and get your early bird discount. For more information please visit our website http://www.albertachess.org/home/sch...19-banff-open/
    This is also available if you visit the new ACA website www.albertachess.org ==> Schedule ==> Banff Open

We are please to announce the return of our sponsorship of CUPE LOCAL 4318 who have kindly donated $300. This will be distributed to the entire prize fund.

Comment

We are thrilled and honoured to announce the participation of IM Brian Hartman for the third consecutive year at the 2019 Banff Open. Some of his accomplishments as a player include
      1. Came 2nd in 3 Canadian Closed Championships (1984, 1987, 1992) . He was dubbed the Canadian Paul Keres by many at the1992 event.
      2. Won the 1985 Canadian Open on tie-break over GM Igor Ivanov, while playing simultaneously in the Canadian Closed
      3. Won 3 Ontario Open Championships
      4. Won countless Canadian and US Swiss events
      5. IM title - this should have been awarded in 1985, but due to FIDE politics, it was not received until he decided to return to chess in 1992 to secure the title in the Canadian Closed of that year.
      6. Won several US events, including the 1987 US Masters (tied first with GM Benjamin, GM Bisguier), 1985 Cleveland Open (defeating GM Grunfeld in the money round), several NY state events, etc.
      7. Won several matches against Canadian IM's - the only one he could publish is vs IM Michael Schliefer as the other 3 prominent IM's swore him to secrecy as they were training matches, two of which in the 1990's after he had all but quit chess
      8. Obtained a plus or even score against most prominent Canadian titled players except for GM Spraggett
      Kudos to Brian, who comes out once a year to the Banff Open and gives up many rating points due to his rustiness. His countless stories of the old days are such a treat. He is a great raconteur as well, he was a great organiser, writer and supporter/player/captain of our Olympiad team over the years.
      Last edited by Ian Findlay; Sunday, 30th June, 2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Hello, I am considering attending from Ontario, but I'm trying to mitigate my costs. I'll be driving from either Ottawa, or perhaps even further east, from the weekend before. I'm thinking that maybe there's one or more players from Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc. who are in a similar cost-sensitive situation as myself. Maybe you would like me to pick you up on the way, and I could use your travel assistance for my hotel room, bed'n'breakfast, etc. If such an arrangement interests you, and/or maybe you have other better ideas, please email me at arismarghetis at rogers dot com. Thanks!

Comment

I am please to announce the $500 'Armeggeddon Prize', which caused so much excitement last year is back again! This prize is $500 added to the 1st prize, but in the event of a tie for 1st place, then there is a playoff for the donated $500. I can tell you first hand this is exciting as I was on the losing end last year of a 3 way playoff which was won by IM Mark Ginsburg over myself and Omid Malek. To see the final game, go to the link https://www.facebook.com/sdsklenka/v...736/UzpfSTc4Nz...
          Thank you so much to our anonymous donor for this exciting donation!

Comment

We are thrilled to announce the participation of WIM Agnieszka Matras-Clement. Agnieszka just recently won the Jina Burns Fort McMurray Open and her present CFC rating of 2351 easily puts her as the current #1 Female in Canada.She is a former European and world champion (both in the U20 category). As an added bonus, her husband, Paul, who is one of the top chefs in Alberta will be helping out with the dinner at my place on Sunday night.

Agnieska has also written 2 brilliant articles on our tournament for the Chessbase News Portal. Here is the one from last year. https://en.chessbase.com/post/banff-...-the-mountains Some of the links to the phonographs have been disabled.

Comment

Fair warning people ... BUCKLE UP! ... this going to be EPIC!

SoCA is once again humbled to sponsor Ian's wonderful Banff Open chess championship :) This year it's all about you. Seriously, it is. It's all about you.

And, to a certain extent it's also about print too.

Here's a pint sized teaser graphic ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	BanffOpen2019_prc_v.2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	17.5 KB ID:	200439

Banff in evening light, background image contributed by the amazing photographer Paul Zizka ...

https://zizka.ca/

Thanks again Paul!

And thanks again Ian for allowing us to play in your space!

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 11th July, 2019, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Thank you Neil and SoCA for your continued support of the Banff Open! Also thank you to Paul Zizka! Paul and his wife will be invited to the dinner at our place. He is a well known photographer in Banff and the Banff Centre often uses his work. Also check out his photos for Banff at Its Winter Best. https://zizka.ca/2018/11/07/banff-at-its-winter-best/

Comment

Here are some photos from yesterday, from Banff's most popular tourist attraction - the Gondola going up Sulpher Mountain, which is 5.2 kms from our playing site. https://www.facebook.com/ian.findlay...61919011550526 Truly spectacular views. They have built a 4 storey structure that has a restaurant and bar at the top.
                  Last edited by Ian Findlay; Tuesday, 16th July, 2019, 09:59 AM.

Comment

When entering, please check your discounts carefully. Anyone entering before Oct 1, you receive a $10 discount. So for 1800 and over section it is $70 and under 1800 it would be $50.
                    Of course if you are a titled player, 1st time CFC player, female, over 65 or a Junior you could get another discount. Pre-reg list to be updated soon. See http://www.albertachess.org/home/sch...19-banff-open/

Comment

We are pleased to announce the entry of Belsar Valencia, with a CFC rating of 2341. We now have IM Brian Hartman, WIM Agnieszka Matras-Clement, Belsar Valencia and FM Ian Findlay as the top 4 players in the over 1800 section. I am also pleased to announce the extension of my wife's contract at the Banff Centre so there may be a couple more Banff Opens run by me. if this one is successful . https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...-janice-price/

Comment

I am thrilled to announce an additional 'Fischer Prize' to the top section of the 2019 Banff Open. $1000 will be awarded to the person who achieves a perfect score of 6-0 in the top section.
                        It should be impossible for 2 players to achieve this, but in the event that it does, there will be an Armageddon playoff to decide who wins the $1000 on top of the $500 Armageddon prize!
                        The Fischer Prize is in reference to Bobby Fischer winning the 1963/64 US championship with an 11-0 score.

This is a completely separate prize and in the event that nobody has a 6-0, this money will not be distributed. This special prize was the donation of 2 anonymous donors, who I thank greatly.

Comment

I had thought you were referring to Fischer's 6-0 sweeps vs Taimanov and Larsen in the Candidates of 1971.

Comment

I am thinking about playing there, even if it's far from Quebec City. I'd like to know if FQE (Fédération québécoise des échecs) members can play at the Banff Open without having to pay additional fees for CFC tournament rating?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Gougeon View Post
                              I am thinking about playing there, even if it's far from Quebec City. I'd like to know if FQE (Fédération québécoise des échecs) members can play at the Banff Open without having to pay additional fees for CFC tournament rating?
                              Yes Patrick, you need the CFC membership. There is participating membership for $21 ($11 for junior) or $43 for the year. I will double check with the CFC but I believe that is the policy. I noticed that you have played in CFC event before, so they must have charged you also?

Comment

Working...
                              X