Banff Open 2019 Nov 9-11 Open for Entries - 1st 100 only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

Yes Patrick, you need the CFC membership. There is participating membership for $21 ($11 for junior) or $43 for the year. I will double check with the CFC but I believe that is the policy. I noticed that you have played in CFC event before, so they must have charged you also?
    If I'm not mistaken - according to the (now expired, but still accepted in principle) CFC-FQE agreement, CFC memberships from outside Quebec are accepted in Quebec, and FQE memberships are accepted across Canada.

The original three-year agreement from 2012:

https://chess.ca/sites/default/files...cfc-2012_0.pdf

Comment

Hey Patrick, if you're willing to travel more than half the country ... we're willing (SoCA) to cover those insidious and punitive and archaic CFC/FQE fees ...should of never been there in the first place ... so sorry you have to worry about that.

K?

Anybody else???

peace.
      n.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

If I'm not mistaken - according to the (now expired, but still accepted in principle) CFC-FQE agreement, CFC memberships from outside Quebec are accepted in Quebec, and FQE memberships are accepted across Canada.

The original three-year agreement from 2012:

https://chess.ca/sites/default/files...cfc-2012_0.pdf
        we had a FQE player for one of our events this year (Keres maybe?) and was confirmed by the CFC office that this agreement was still in place (i.e. if player has a valid FQE membership, that will suffice in place of a CFC membership).

Comment

Yes Patrick, you need the CFC membership. There is participating membership for $21 ($11 for junior) or $43 for the year. I will double check with the CFC but I believe that is the policy. I noticed that you have played in CFC event before, so they must have charged you also?
          Ian, I never had to pay a CFC membership (neither a participating membership for a specific tournament) in CFC events in which I played. The last one was the Easter event in Kingston (2019 Canada Zonal & Easter Sectionals) organized by Aris Marghetis.

As far as I understand, any FQE member (membership valid for the duration of the event) can play in any CFC event without having to pay additional fees to CFC. The player results will be CFC rated but not FQE rated (except if specifically mentioned in the event’s flyer). I know player’s results can be FQE rated but only if the player pays specifically FQE an additional fee (25$ in 2019) for his/her FQE rating for this event.

As far as I understand, any CFC member (membership valid for the duration of the event) can play in any FQE event without having to pay additional fees to FQE. The player results will be FQE rated but not CFC rated (except if specifically mentioned in the event’s flyer).

Am I right? If not, please CFC and FQE directors explain?

I have a dream… can someone, one day solve this FQE/CFC headache for chess players once for ever?

PS. Sorry for the font change in my text.

Comment

Patrick.. you are correct. Read the previous comments.

Comment

The current CFC policy allows FQE members to play in CFC events without a CFC membership. Bob will confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

The current CFC policy allows FQE members to play in CFC events without a CFC membership. Bob will confirm.
                Thanks Fred. As this affects all tournaments in Canada, it would be good to know. Personally, I hope that the CFC/FQE agreement is still in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Gougeon View Post

Ian, I never had to pay a CFC membership (neither a participating membership for a specific tournament) in CFC events in which I played. The last one was the Easter event in Kingston (2019 Canada Zonal & Easter Sectionals) organized by Aris Marghetis.

As far as I understand, any FQE member (membership valid for the duration of the event) can play in any CFC event without having to pay additional fees to CFC. The player results will be CFC rated but not FQE rated (except if specifically mentioned in the event’s flyer). I know player’s results can be FQE rated but only if the player pays specifically FQE an additional fee (25$ in 2019) for his/her FQE rating for this event.

As far as I understand, any CFC member (membership valid for the duration of the event) can play in any FQE event without having to pay additional fees to FQE. The player results will be FQE rated but not CFC rated (except if specifically mentioned in the event’s flyer).

Am I right? If not, please CFC and FQE directors explain?

I have a dream… can someone, one day solve this FQE/CFC headache for chess players once for ever?

PS. Sorry for the font change in my text.

Thanks Patrick for bringing up this issue. Hopefully it will be clarified here soon. In any event, we would be honoured for you participation, and feel free to email me at ianfindlay2314@gmail.com if you have any other questions about the tournament itself.

Comment

Good news Patrick! I have heard back from the CFC and this is the response:

The FQE/CFC agreement is still in effect.
                    A current CFC or FQE membership is good across Canada.
                    No need for him to buy CFC membership as long as he is keeping FQE membership current.

Best regards,

Robert Gillanders
                    Executive Director
                    Chess Federation of Canada

Comment

Good news Patrick! I have heard back from the CFC and this is the response:

The FQE/CFC agreement is still in effect.
                      A current CFC or FQE membership is good across Canada.
                      No need for him to buy CFC membership as long as he is keeping FQE membership current.

Best regards,

Robert Gillanders
                      Executive Director
                      Chess Federation of Canada
                      Thank you Ian, this confirms what I have always thought. Would be great if all chess tournaments in Canada mention that point in their flyers. It will help players to take their decision. If not, this point is always ambiguous, even for organizers.

I plan my trip and will go there if costs are reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Gougeon View Post

Thank you Ian, this confirms what I have always thought. Would be great if all chess tournaments in Canada mention that point in their flyers. It will help players to take their decision. If not, this point is always ambiguous, even for organizers.

I plan my trip and will go there if costs are reasonable.
                        Hello Patrick, I am also thinking of driving cross-country for this event, but like yourself, I am working on ways to reduce the total costs. I would be interested in any ideas you come up with, thanks.

Please feel free to switch to my email (arismarghetis at rogers dot com)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                          I am working on ways to reduce the total costs.
                          As well as sharing accommodation, you can also stay at the cheper 'Bumpers Inn' which I see quoted at $81 a night at that time on the internet. Players have stayed there in the past.
                          Also, there are some Bed and Breakfasts nearby. Rocky Mountain View Bed and Breakfast is about $120 a night, which is about 1 km from the site.

Please remember there are no on site registration for this tournament. Even though the Entry fee does not go up till Oct 1, it is best to book early and get the best rates on travel and accommodation. The good news is that that pairings will be done the night before and 1st round will start on time at 12 noon. Please enter at http://www.albertachess.org/home/sch...19-banff-open/

Comment

Due to our fast time controls, you should have some time to see Banff. Here is a Youtube video for top 20 things to do in Banff. It does not even mention the Banff Centre and their concerts and restaurants, which may have been overlooked. This video has some amazing views of the mountains and lakes in the area.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fVd8Z94OLY

So far we are up to 14 entries. Just remember, accommodations do sell out, and prices do go up closer to the event for local hotels and bed and breakfasts, so best to reserve early for Banff. Entry fee goes up $10 Oct. 1 and we will only accept 100 entries.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/Mark.S.Dutt...0190167&type=3

Take a look at the Album from last year's event in Banff. This is an awesome tournament site and we encourage every Canadian chess player to see this place and take part!

See you in November! From Mark and Christine Dutton

FIDE LINK: https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_...l?event=210296

This year the Banff Open will be in 2 sections. Over and under 1800. We will only be accepting entries in advance, not at the site.

Some of the highlights include
                              i) A buffet style dinner at my house on Sunday night
                              ii) Majestic view of the mountains from the playing site - This year our room is on the ground level, with easy access to outside to stand beside any elk or bears!
                              iii) International Arbiter/Organizer Mark Dutton with be the Chief Arbiter. Ably assisted by his lovely wife Christine Dutton.
                              iv) Nightly shows at the Banff Centre, which are TBA.
                              v) Welcome to one of the most precious, protected places in the world. A visit here offers the chance to experience the spectacular Canadian Rocky Mountains and glacier-fed lakes, wildlife at its wildest and small-town charm that only Banff can offer.

Don't delay, enter today and get your early bird discount. For more information please visit our website http://www.albertachess.org/home/sch...19-banff-open/
                              This is also available if you visit the new ACA website www.albertachess.org ==> Schedule ==> Banff Open
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hey Dutton, luv ya! Wat up with that stale dated 2018 image?

C'mon.

Comment

Working...
                                X