Milton september active 2019 chess tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a bigger hall now. Had seventy players last time, looking for more if possible. You can make a difference, time is ticking, I thank you for this discussion I have been observing on this thread. Choice is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Serge Archambault View Post
      I see those events as "let's have fun and enjoy chess together" happenings, not as "let's all chip in together" for titled players to make believe they are living out of playing chess in Canada.
      I see those events as "competitions" or "tournaments", not as "let's waste strong players time playing weak players" for non titled players to make believe that by scoring 50%, they were competitive in the tournament and deserved a prize.

Comment

Last edited by Serge Archambault; Wednesday, 4th September, 2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge Archambault View Post
          David, you should go and play in the Canadian Amateur Championship coming up this weekend in Kitchener. It looks like a tournament perfectly cut out for players like you. If you do, I wish you good luck.
          When I play a tournament I want at least one of these two things to be fulfilled: challenging opposition, or good prize.

Prereg list for my section currently has 3 players (two of whom are >200pts higher than my current rating and thus unlikely for me to put up much challenge against) and is scheduled for 7 rounds. Don't really see how it's likely I'll have a bunch of good games.

$120 entry fee for a tournament where first prize is $300? Not exactly enticing prizes.

So what's the point of going to a tourney like this? Just to play chess? I can invite a couple of friends over and do that from my own home for free.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

So what's the point of going to a tourney like this? Just to play chess?
            Yes. Exactly. Most players are like myself, we enter tournaments to play some chess. We could invite some friends over and play chess, or go online and play chess, but participating live in a tournament allows for greater selection of opponents, and they can't just abandon the keyboard. So much better an experience.

As for prizes: cash, trophies, bragging rights, it's all good. With a prize at stake, everyone puts in a little more effort. Now we all realize the largest prizes will go to the top section, and everyone is generally okay with that. BUT, when I hear the argument that us mediocre players are not worthy of prizes, well, that makes me very angry. and I TEND TO USE CAPITAL LETTERS!

Comment

Touched a nerve I see. By the way, everyone has until Aug 24 to pay only $40 for entry into the Milton Active on Sept 07.

Comment

I enter tournaments to see old friends and to try to get 50% results. Anything higher is a bonus. If I win a prize that is a double bonus.

I do feel though if we ran open tournaments with the top 20 winning prizes it would give the players who did well a well deserved prize.
                If you want to award class prizes then at least give them 2 times their entry back for third prize.
                You could also include a separate section for very low rated players and give the winners entry fee back plus a trophy and free entry into next year's event.

We all know that lower rated players feed the top but sometimes the lower players out number the top 3-1 so why should the top get 3 times the prize money.
                Give the top First $1000 Second $600 Third $400 if you must.
                But make sure the rest available prize fund goes to the class players or sooner or later there will be very few at the lower end.
                I don't believe a class player should get more than a top player but I do feel that if you must give a class player a prize then make it based on number of participants. This was done in the past at earlier Labour Day Opens. Prizes based on entries. But one year there was an U1600 section that far surpassed the required numbers yet because the top section had few players that year, the organizers took some of the U1600 prize fund to support the top prizes.
                That was the day when U1600's lost faith in Organizers and their numbers dropped at tournaments for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                  I enter tournaments to see old friends and to try to get 50% results. Anything higher is a bonus. If I win a prize that is a double bonus.

I do feel though if we ran open tournaments with the top 20 winning prizes it would give the players who did well a well deserved prize.
                  If you want to award class prizes then at least give them 2 times their entry back for third prize.
                  You could also include a separate section for very low rated players and give the winners entry fee back plus a trophy and free entry into next year's event.

We all know that lower rated players feed the top but sometimes the lower players out number the top 3-1 so why should the top get 3 times the prize money.
                  Give the top First $1000 Second $600 Third $400 if you must.
                  But make sure the rest available prize fund goes to the class players or sooner or later there will be very few at the lower end.
                  I don't believe a class player should get more than a top player but I do feel that if you must give a class player a prize then make it based on number of participants. This was done in the past at earlier Labour Day Opens. Prizes based on entries. But one year there was an U1600 section that far surpassed the required numbers yet because the top section had few players that year, the organizers took some of the U1600 prize fund to support the top prizes.
                  That was the day when U1600's lost faith in Organizers and their numbers dropped at tournaments for a few years.
                  So have the Labour Day organizers reverted back to their former ways with a return of the disheartened?

Comment

Gord those organizers are long retired. But numbers never went up after that one tournament.New organizers stopped using class prize funds that say( $1000 or XXXX prizes based on 150 players) for example/

Comment

Starting to get a few entries now for Milton Sep 07 Active Tourney.

Comment

Sectioned events or okay, however, graded pay out system is needed
                        Say 3 Sections 50% 30% 20%
                        Say 4 Sections 40% 30% 20% 10%

If Open section then higher rated players pay less as they or a draw for tournaments
                        with top x winning cash / however have choice of paying lower entry fee (no cash prizes)
                        win free entry into next tournament

Comment

A little less than two weeks left for the early bird price of $40 for Milton Active tourney. It goes up to $50 after the 24th. Tick tock.

Comment

I have been asked about restaurants nearby. There is the Milton mall just across the street from the tournament venue. There is a food court in the mall. There are also two or three restaurants in the same plaza as the mall. I would say a 3 min walk tops to get there.

Comment

Got one Fide Master who just signed up for the Milton Sept 07 2019 Active Chess Tournament. .How many more will sign up,hmm?

Comment

Hi all, just a little reminder that the price jumps up to $50 if I receive the payment after Aug 24th. Just a few days left for the $40 entry fee. The Milton Sep Active Tournament is a good tourney if you are dipping into tournament play for the first time. If this isn't your first time then it is good to get your game on. Play well.

Comment

Working...
                                X