Clear All

Canadian Open 2019

July 13, 2019

Ian:

See Korchnoi in Toronto, 1985 that appeared in ChessTalk, June 7, 2016

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...n-toronto-1985

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

Wow!, Why would you retire from poker, you must be the equivalent of a strong grandmaster at poker. Also, why did you have the nickname of timex?
      I started up a business and figured I'd rather do one thing well than 2 things poorly.

Poker doesn't have the history that chess does (ie Bobby Fischer was a much better player than Stu Ungar) but poker moves much faster than chess such that while Kasparov may still be able to play super-gm level chess Phil Ivey (arguably the best overall player of all time) has no chance in any reasonably competitive game.

I just picked it randomly by choosing the first thing that came to mind and looked down at my Timex watch.
      Last edited by Mike McDonald; Sunday, 14th July, 2019, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McDonald View Post

I started up a business and figured I'd rather do one thing well than 2 things poorly.

Poker doesn't have the history that chess does (ie Bobby Fischer was a much better player than Stu Ungar) but poker moves much faster than chess such that while Kasparov may still be able to play super-gm level chess Phil Ivey (arguably the best overall player of all time) has no chance in any reasonably competitive game.

I just picked it randomly by choosing the first thing that came to mind and looked down at my Timex watch.
        Thanks for the insight. Seems incredible about Phil Ivey not standing a chance in reasonably competitive game. I used to love watching High Stakes Poker on TSN I think. I never thought Chris Moneymaker was very good, but he had lots of success. Danny Negreanu and Doyle Brunson were my 2 favourites Stu Unger used to go to my bridge club to play gin. He was a great card player. Best of luck at chess. If you want to combine sight seeing with chess, come play in the Banff Open in November:) Sorry, shameless plug.

Comment

The one and only . I played chess for ~3 years as a kid but quit when I found poker in 2004. After retiring from poker 3 years ago I missed competing at a game and started playing chess again in December. I'm still very much a chess beginner but hoping to improve!
          Not quite the beginner Mike and Ive liked some of your game positions. I expect you'll be an expert soon (2000+)

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
            Canadian Open 2019

July 13, 2019

Ian:

See Korchnoi in Toronto, 1985 that appeared in ChessTalk, June 7, 2016

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...n-toronto-1985
            Thanks for the memories. Not mentioned, gms Norwood and Wilder also played. I remember a great game Norwood played against Bruce Amos on black side of a Benoni, and sadly my last round game agreeing to a draw vs Fedorowicz in a position that an engine says I am +2 today. It was also a Benoni, where I was down the exchange. Fed after the game, said he was afraid my bishiops would rip him apart - his assessment correct.. Having 20 minutes left, I should have just played a move, but thought for 10 minutes and not seeing a clear win, did not want to lose a sure $600. Having Spraggett and Ivanov in any tournament together was always priceless.

Comment

I'm in favour of the CO being used to help develop chess across the country, even if it may mean fewer numbers......as long as the organizers stay afloat.

But with technology and communications in chess being what they are today, I think a bid must have a "Tournament Promotion Plan" - not just before to draw players, but DURING to emphasize that we have an annual NATIONAL tournament that is BIG on the calendar. The CO, when it is happening, should not just drop off the radar.

Canadian chess players' interest in our national tournament must be encouraged .... among those multitudes who are not playing. For example: Regular round by round reports on the leaders; anecdotal stories; it needn't be a blog, but Canada should know something about what it is like holding the marquis tournament in X location.

This does not have to COST........a volunteer could post daily here on CT......included in the $ 20 original advertising fee...... some of the non-playing time activities players are involved in......whatever to keep the CO front and present WHILE HAPPENING!

My 2 cents worth - and I admit I am not the organizer, and so this is simply the lone opinion of one fan (Please don't tell me to go organize it myself the way I want - constructive criticism is legitimate from the peanut gallery, IMHO).

Bob A
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 17th July, 2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Eventually (hopefully) I will have games to post. I will do the top few boards first from each round whenever I get the scoresheets.

Comment

I'm not following the Canadian Open closely - there are no live games, I don't know any of the players, and there seems to be few "human interest" comments from the organisers, or anyone else. I believe there may be some photographs somewhere on Facebook.

I notice that in the open section GM Alexander Cherniaev has 7 points from 7 games, with a performance rating of 2828. It will be interesting to see if he scores 100%.

In the under 1800 section Matthew He from Burnaby, rated 1161, is having the tournament of his life. Matthew is in third place with 5½/7, and a performance rating of 1824.
                  Last edited by John Coleman; Thursday, 18th July, 2019, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Alexander Cherniav won in round 8, so he is still 100%. In the u1800 section, Matthew He continues his astonishing run, he has just beaten top-rated David Steer, and now leads the section with 6½/8.

Comment

Thanks for the current flow of a bit of information at least!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                        Alexander Cherniav won in round 8, so he is still 100%. In the u1800 section, Matthew He continues his astonishing run, he has just beaten top-rated David Steer, and now leads the section with 6½/8.
                        The ratings from the CYCC were posted yesterday, and Matthew He (BC) finished tied for 3rd in the U12O raising his rating to 1374, but he seems to be on another whole new level this week.

Comment

Alexander Cherniav won in round 9, so he scored 100%, ahead of a bunch of players with 6 points. When was the last time someone scored 100% in the Canadian Open?

In the u1800 section, Matthew He won his last game, and won the section with 7½/9.

Comment

Alexander Cherniav won in round 9, so he scored 100%, ahead of a bunch of players with 6 points. When was the last time someone scored 100% in the Canadian Open?

In the u1800 section, Matthew He won his last game, and won the section with 7½/9.
                            The only time a perfect score was attained, was by Laszlo Witt in 1962 (9-0).
                            http://www.bcchesshistory.com/canop5662.html#1962

Comment

The one and only . I played chess for ~3 years as a kid but quit when I found poker in 2004. After retiring from poker 3 years ago I missed competing at a game and started playing chess again in December. I'm still very much a chess beginner but hoping to improve!
                              Dang it just saw this. Was going to post you at 0.5 markdown and see if anyone bought.

Comment

On the other end of the age spectrum, Steven Faust finished tied for third. Octogenarians represent. I think I played him in the CO of 1979.

"Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X