X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Few personal notes about Canadian Closed

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Mr. Hebert!
    I don't want to answer you on the same ugly and personal level. We have enough this stuff here, on chesstalk. I just recommend you choose words more accurately. I never lick shoes and did nothing to you to be shamed.
    Just to remind you: 200 years ago words like this were enough for duel in both France and Russia (probably also in Canada).
    I never used any negative word regarding yourself or R.-R. I just posted my personal opinion in 1-st post and facts only in 2-nd. Even if I critisized somebody it was CFC for wild card. My personal opinion CFC should take into account things like withdrawing from national championship (for wild card only, not rating).
    I believe you should apologize.
    Frankly Mr Plotkin if I had been the target of your "personal opinion", instead of one of my former pupil, I might have been tempted to use much bigger words. To me questionning another player's nomination to the national team years after the fact was uncalled for and way off the topic of the thread. If you want to blame the CFC, as you say, surely you can find better reasons than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
      Players rarely withdraw from national championships as far as I know. There is a big difference with that and a regular weekend swiss. Sponsors do not want to provide for an event where the players do not even completely play! How can you support professionally organized tournaments and want stable sponsorship when you also think withdrawing from a national championship is fine? Also, I don't know about before, but I know in recent years (06,08) members of the olympic team had all played in previous zonals. It should certainly be a consideration when picking players.
      Players frequently use the "accelerated withdrawal option", namely they withdraw before the tournament even starts! ;-)
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

English is my second language too and when chess becomes a real sport maybe it will be able to handle comments like real sports do
        Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 31st August, 2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
          English is my second language too and when chess becomes a real sport maybe it will be able to handle comments like real sports do

English is my first and only :( language, but this has we puzzled. Are you now insulting the game of chess?

This thread has been very entertaining guys, but perhaps it's time to give it a rest!
          Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 31st August, 2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Re: threads on ChessTalk

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            This thread has been very entertaining guys, but perhaps it's time to give it a rest!
            One thing I really miss about the old ChessTalk forum is: everything got flushed down the toilet and a new thread was required to revive a topic.

Whereas these threads are important and most original posts worth reading, the follow-up responses tend to go way downhill rather quickly. And the fact that the thread is popped back up to the top of the forum makes it all so much worse. :(

Can we get the old forum format back?

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Re: threads on ChessTalk

At the bottom of the main thread listing, you'll see Sorted By: Last Post Time.

Change it to Thread Start Time. Voila, it will behave the same as the old chesstalk.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: Demo Boards & Spectators

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Putting up demo boards will not draw spectators. Advertising draws spectators.
                The concern should not just be what draws spectators, but what keeps them there and what makes them want to come back again and again.

For this, you need to give them a good time. For the non-chess-playing general public, this is not possible IMO with classical chess. The past 40+ years that Jean Hebert says he has spent trying to promote chess has proven my opinion correct. Still, Jean continues to be the aging rock musician that I alluded to in another thread, trying desperately to get someone, even just a passerby, to stop and listen to the slow, plodding, hard-to-follow music played by the entire band. And how does he try? By publicly humiliating an organizer who at least organized an event rather than see it not be held at all (and THAT should be the first duty of an organizer; perhaps we need a whole different job title for someone whose first duty is promoting the game).

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                ...demo boards demand volunteers. Players should not be expected to make the demo board moves. And there should be a volunteer per demo board.
                Agreed, but with an addendum: players should be WILLING AND EXPECTED to make the demo board moves WHEN NECESSARY, except maybe within 5 minutes of a time limit being reached.

Without this addendum, you have the possibility of no volunteer(s) at the last minute, and a demo board showing the opening setup all the way through a match. Surely then the spectator (if there is one) would be wondering, "Why don't those players do me the courtesy of allowing me to follow their game? They've roped themselves off so I can't get close to their board, and now they don't even make the moves on the demo board."

How are the standards useful if there aren't any measures in place to guarantee the standards are met?

How can a player claim to want to promote chess and not be willing to do his or her part, which at times may have to go beyond just playing the game?
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  English is my first and only :( language, but this has we puzzled. Are you now insulting the game of chess?

no I'm insulting those that want to limit discussion about chess, you don't hear the major sports or participants go on about how the fans shouldn't say anything, such as the NHL, NBA, NFL, golf etc.

if you want spectators and fans like other sports do and also sponsorship and media coverage you may like to know that spectators and fans usually have something to say unless for some reason you only want silent fans

and don't worry as someone for whom English is a second language I can understand that even native speakers of the language have issues with English as well :)

speaking of which, how about those Tiger-Cats!!
                  Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 1st September, 2009, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Zeljko,

I was going to show you how wrong you are, but even video evidence that disproves your statement would not get you to change your opinion, so I'll leave you to your ignorance...
                    Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Tuesday, 1st September, 2009, 06:00 AM.
                    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                      Zeljko,

I was going to show you how wrong you are, but even video evidence that disproves your statement would not get you to change your opinion, so I'll leave you to your ignorance...
                      You must live in a narrow, bitter world Jordan to lash out in these kinds of out of control emotional, insulting tirades just because you were questioned in a debate. Your reasong if I can call it that is that I called you pedantic and professor. That seemed to be enough for you to lose your top. You immediately gave up discussing the facts of the matter under discussion.

It seems I have a new friend I'm going to have to live with because you are obviously getting some great pleasure in your life by these emotional tirades and abusive behaviour. Good to know you new friend, your insults hurt me not a whit, please stand on this soap box and feel free to howl at the moon if you like, get it all out of your system. Insult and tirade away. At the end of the day you may not be happy with reputation you are left with but no matter.

Your tag lines are they some kind of call for help? What does happen to someone that beats you in a game of chess? Why do they needs Gods help?
                      Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Tuesday, 1st September, 2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Frankly Mr Plotkin if I had been the target of your "personal opinion", instead of one of my former pupil, I might have been tempted to use much bigger words. To me questionning another player's nomination to the national team years after the fact was uncalled for and way off the topic of the thread. If you want to blame the CFC, as you say, surely you can find better reasons than that.
                        Much bigger words... I am so scared, Hebert!
                        You don't want to apologize. Actually I didn't hope.
                        You doesn't respect other players so you are not suppose to be respected also.
                        You have big advantage : you live here, on this site, I only visit once in a while.
                        So I follow good advise: don't argue with an idiot. It's about you, Hebert.

Comment

Your tag lines are they some kind of call for help? What does happen to someone that beats you in a game of chess? Why do they needs Gods help?
                          Yeah Zeljko, dig deep into your bag of meaningless insults... that one really really hurt lol
                          Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Tuesday, 1st September, 2009, 10:40 AM. Reason: I didn't want to hurt Zeljko's feelings with the TRUTH, so I removed it.
                          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Ron, do not be upset by the bullcrap coming from Jean Hebert. Both you and Victor made excellent comments on the tournament and your attitudes are far more conducive to keeping organizers putting these events on rather than seeing them disappear.

In his reply to you, Jean says "But as an individual involved in this game for 40 years+ and concerned about promoting it..." which I think everyone should take issue with. If he was concerned about promoting chess, he would have taken the bull by the horns and done it at the Closed. But no, he's a player and a player ONLY once there's prize money at stake. He expected Hal Bond, and only Hal Bond, to do it all. He would rather diss an organizer from the safety of hundreds of miles away than volunteer help to get the event promoted.

I also notice how Jean warped your statements about the Closed. Nowhere did you say this year's Closed was a top notch event. You only said it was very good. But Jean took the "top notch" phrase you used in another sentence and makes it look like you used that to describe the Closed. Typical cheap tactics from a man who will stoop to anything to make himself look good and others look bad.
                            Only the rushing is heard...
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

You must live in a narrow, bitter world Jordan to lash out in these kinds of out of control emotional, insulting tirades just because you were questioned in a debate. Your reasong if I can call it that is that I called you pedantic and professor. That seemed to be enough for you to lose your top. You immediately gave up discussing the facts of the matter under discussion.

It seems I have a new friend I'm going to have to live with because you are obviously getting some great pleasure in your life by these emotional tirades and abusive behaviour. Good to know you new friend, your insults hurt me not a whit, please stand on this soap box and feel free to howl at the moon if you like, get it all out of your system. Insult and tirade away. At the end of the day you may not be happy with reputation you are left with but no matter.

LOL, and Jordan wants to run the CO 2011 and the closed. This is laughable. Jordan, Someone with your attitude does not posses the skills IMHO to run a successful tournament such as the CO and Canadian Closed. I would hate to see some sort of dispute take place during one of these tournaments run by Jordan. The reaction from Jordan would be over the top and definitely out of line. IMO, Jordan Sir you are not mentally stable enough to run a tournament such as the ones stated.

regards

Sheldon

P.S. Save yourself the grief when you reply, which i know is coming anyways. I promise to not read it :) P.P.S. Youre still an idiot......
                              Last edited by Sheldon Ab; Tuesday, 1st September, 2009, 12:59 PM. Reason: Jordans an Idiot.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon Pimentel View Post
                                LOL, and Jordan wants to run the CO 2011 and the closed. This is laughable. Jordan, Someone with your attitude does not posses the skills IMHO to run a successful tournament such as the CO and Canadian Closed. I would hate to see some sort of dispute take place during one of these tournaments run by Jordan. The reaction from Jordan would be over the top and definitely out of line. IMO, Jordan Sir you are not mentally stable enough to run a tournament such as the ones stated.

regards

Sheldon

P.S. Save yourself the grief when you reply, which i know is coming anyways. I promise to not read it :) P.P.S. Youre still an idiot......
                                MOMMYYYYYY!!!! Shewdon doesn't want to pway anymow :(

Comment

Working...
                                X