NAYCC and IM title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAYCC and IM title

From what I understand - the winner of the U18 "Open" section receives an automatic IM title. Going into the last round, there are 6 players with 6/8. Presumably - only one can/will get the title. Among the six is Maili-Jade Ouellet - a female who entered the "open" group. She could theoretically win the "male" IM title. She already has the WIM title. Would there be a playoff to break ties, or would they use a tiebreak system?

Scroll to the bottom for the crosstable (no ratings are on it): https://chess-math.org/content/u-18-...-and-standings
    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Monday, 19th August, 2019, 10:57 PM.

the tournament page says:
    U18: Gold (after tiebreaks if needed) = IM/WIM title
    Then goes a tie break section:

COMPUTER TIE BREAKS

1) the games between the tied players (applies only if all tied players have played each other)

2) Sonneborn-Berger

3) the greater number of games with Black (unplayed games count as played with white)

4) the greater number of wins

5) the younger birth date

6) coin flip (administered by Chief Arbiter)

My assumption - no play-offs.

Comment

Tthere is also an IM norm in the U16 group.

Comment

Earlier this month, Annie Wang won the PanAm Youth U20 Open section, and earned IM.

https://new.uschess.org/news/annie-w...-norm-bolivia/

I was following the NAYCC U18 for three girls,
        Maili-Jade, Carissa and Rochelle, all great performance

Comment

Looks like Rohan took the draw in the final round for his second IM norm in U16.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post
            Earlier this month, Annie Wang won the PanAm Youth U20 Open section, and earned IM.

https://new.uschess.org/news/annie-w...-norm-bolivia/

I was following the NAYCC U18 for three girls,
            Maili-Jade, Carissa and Rochelle, all great performance
            Is it just me, or has there been a recent sudden increase in our top young ladies?!

Comment

from Doknjas facebook :

Tied for 1st Place with 7pts/9 games:

NM Joshua Doknjas - 3rd after tiebreaks, FM Title and IM Norm
              FM Wesley Wang - 2nd after tiebreaks, IM Norm
              FM Alexander Costello - 1st after tiebreaks, IM Title

Comment

Congrats to the winners and to the new Canadian FIDE titlists: FM Joshua Doknjas and WIM Svitlana Demchenko (and probably others, but the full results aren't out yet).

Special mention to MJO, who was tied for the lead in the last round of the U18... she's had a very good August!

Final round game between Yuanchen Zhang and Joshua Doknjas is annotated on the CFC Newsfeed: https://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/1175

Comment

Last edited by Serge Archambault; Wednesday, 4th September, 2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I can't find a cross table anywhere for that event. How us the Canaduan doing?

Comment

Last edited by Serge Archambault; Wednesday, 4th September, 2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Canadian WIM Agnieszka Matras-Clement has 4.5/8 after losing this morning. Her final round game against tournament leader Krush can bee seen here:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...-2019-im/9/1/5

Comment

Which titles take precedence - "male" or "female"? The titles are confusing in that event. Is it possible the "IM"s are already "WIM"s or "WGM"s? Does an IM title outrank the WIM and WGM titles?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            Which titles take precedence - "male" or "female"? The titles are confusing in that event. Is it possible the "IM"s are already "WIM"s or "WGM"s? Does an IM title outrank the WIM and WGM titles?
                            I'm not sure I understand your question, but most events (and most players) list the harder-to-achieve title. I think that list, from top to bottom, is:
                            1. GM
                            2. IM
                            3. WGM/FM (approx equally hard to get, AFAIK)
                            4. WIM
                            5-10. miscellaneous CM-ish titles like CM, AIM, etc.

but there are a lot of events these days which give things like the IM, FM, WIM titles without requiring a minimum rating, so we sometimes see "FMs" who have never had a FIDE rating over 2000.

Comment

I think they have tightened the rules recently so that you have to have a minimum rating which is below the usual qualification threshold but avoids the 2100 IM situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X