Montreal vs Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal vs Toronto

I just read an item in a Montreal newspaper which basically says that Montreal net wages are better than Toronto...they say Montrealers are not taxed as much as folks in Toronto...well...from someone who knows both cities more than most Canadians....Montrealers are taxed like crazy...fortunately everything is cheaper...by far! A full breakfast for $5 to $6 including tax and tip...is very normal in Montreal....tell me where I can find that near Chess'n Math in Toronto PLEASE! The Golden Griddle on Eglinton west of Mt Pleasant cost me $12 the last time I dared to go there...

Larry

Re: Montreal vs Toronto

Wow... I wish I could get breakfast for $12 here in Kitchener :p

OK we're close... but the two of us ate breakfast out today for $26.52.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      Wow... I wish I could get breakfast for $12 here in Kitchener :p

OK we're close... but the two of us ate breakfast out today for $26.52.

Hi Chris,

My girlfriend and I had a great breakfast today for $14 tax and tip included...yes the price goes up on weekends :)...the restaurant is called Universal...the service is awesome...and the food is great! It is a 40 second walk from Chess'n Math...in Montreal :). There is a place in Ottawa right beside CMA...at a reasonable price but...terrible food!

Larry

Comment

I think they make more in Toronto. They have to since it is so expensive to live there. Housing especially! And of course, you rarely get coffee included in your breakfast price. I always kick up a stink about that when I'm there as the bacon & eggs special at $6.99 looks alright - but coffee is $2 more and then there's tax and tip! You need to make $100 000 a year to equal a salary of $70 000 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Hi Chris,

My girlfriend and I had a great breakfast today for $14 tax and tip included...yes the price goes up on weekends :)...the restaurant is called Universal...the service is awesome...and the food is great! It is a 40 second walk from Chess'n Math...in Montreal :). There is a place in Ottawa right beside CMA...at a reasonable price but...terrible food!

Larry
          And let's not forget that Universel has the best club sandwiches around. Our daughter lives just around the corner and any and all excuses are good to swing by and say hello, maybe have a club sandwich and drop into the CMA store. :)

By the way Larry, I was in today and bought Rybka 3. I have to say that I am always very impressed with Zev. He has a great way with the customers and never seems at a loss for an answer on any of the products.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
            And let's not forget that Universel has the best club sandwiches around. Our daughter lives just around the corner and any and all excuses are good to swing by and say hello, maybe have a club sandwich and drop into the CMA store. :)

By the way Larry, I was in today and bought Rybka 3. I have to say that I am always very impressed with Zev. He has a great way with the customers and never seems at a loss for an answer on any of the products.
            Hi Neil,

Thanks for making the correction...yes tis Universel :).

Isn't the service great there! This has become my new home...they use to be on Cherrier...they moved to our neighbourhood in Jan 2008 I believe...these people understand the restaurant business better than anyone I know!

I agree with you...Zev has grown into this position very nicely...he and Lucy in Montreal as well as Andrew in Toronto are simply awesome!

We are lucky at the Chess'n Math Association to have such incredible folks!

We lost an icon in Yves Casaubon 2 weeks ago...and honestly...I don't think the CMA will ever be the same....they say that you are only as good as the people who work with you...I feel this today more than ever!

These are sad times for us...very sad. I am going on vacation shortly...but honestly...the last two weeks...I have been a basket case....the vacation will help LOTS...I hope...LOL :). We have lost a very special individual...

Thanks for your support over the years! You understand the chess scene in Montreal much better than most...and I appreciate your contribution to our success over 24 years!

Larry

Comment

... We lost an icon in Yves Casaubon 2 weeks ago...and honestly...I don't think the CMA will ever be the same....they say that you are only as good as the people who work with you...I feel this today more than ever!

These are sad times for us...very sad. I am going on vacation shortly...but honestly...the last two weeks...I have been a basket case....the vacation will help LOTS...I hope...LOL :). We have lost a very special individual...
              It's absolutely a tough thing to go through Larry. It's especially true as CMA is a small organization.

I hope that time helps you all to deal with your loss and that you find some peace.

Comment

Hey Larry! Breakfast at Rosies on Bayview for under $6. Breakfast at Henrys in Leaside FREE!!!! You cannot top that!!!!!!

Comment

Larry,FULL all day breakfast at Rosies is $4.99 incl. coffee!!!!2 patios,great service!

I cannot believe the cheap tuition costs in Montreal/Quebec compared to Ontario,about 50% less in undregraduate and professional schools.

Comment

Hi John:

Where is Rosie's on Bayview?? !!!!

Bob

Comment

Where is Rosie's on Bayview?? !!!!
                      A quick Google search shows:

1549 Bayview (at Manor Rd. E.).

Comment

Hi Hugh:

Thx - still not up to speed on the website thing !

Actually used to live in the general vicinity a long time ago.

Bob

Comment

Ironically, I have been to Strategy Games in both Montreal and Ottawa... but not in Toronto. Go figure.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The restaurant is called Rosie's Kitchen,416-482-4197,about 1/2 block north of Millwood on East side of Bayview near Bank of Nova Scotia. Address is 1549 Bayview Ave in Leaside.Seating is limited,but it has 2 patios,food is good,service good,and it is good value!!!!Enjoy!!!!

Comment

Re : Re: Montreal vs Toronto

Hi Chris,

Larry
                              If you dont want to pay to much and want to try to eat like somebody who works hard: I tried... but didn't successed... too much food!
                              http://www.montrealplus.ca/montreal/...et_language=en
                              and this restaurant give free breakfeast for communauty groups at christmas time...

Comment

Working...
                              X