Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
    Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the interesting reading. The Canadian Open of Winnipeg, 1994, is very memorable for me. There is a longstanding and deep chess culture in Winnipeg. An incredible character was Albert Boxer. I wish I could remember all of the stories he told. Watching him and Nathan Divinsky converse was quite amusing. Spending time with Abe Yanofsky was rewarding. And of course I recall Hans doing a big blindfold simul. :) That tournament also witnessed evenings out for refreshments with Nick, Kevin, Ray Stone and many of the Winnipeg boys. The event was put on by Peter Stockhausen. Good old days!
    Thanks for bringing back those memories. That was a very rich and enjoyable event, 1994 Canadian Open and it also marked my freedom from the working world. 25 years since punching a time clock and no regrets.
    I have enjoyed my time with many Winnipeg players and as you say Winnipeg has a very special chess culture. My most memorable times were with Abe Yanofsky both for the chess and his understanding of the chess world and his classiness as a human being.

Comment

Working...
    X