Question: Anyone know if / when IM Lawrence Day's autobio / games book will appear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Anyone know if / when IM Lawrence Day's autobio / games book will appear?

I have been awaiting IM Lawrence Day's long-promised annotated games collection, along with, I am sure, many other Canadian chess people. I am wondering if anyone out there in chesstalk land has any information on when / if this will appear? This will become one of the best Canadian chess books of all time!

I did work with Lawrence on the layout of his earlier games, but then the Nickoloff book became the priority. I think his later career had some great results.

Lawrence has posted his games online and the computer doesn't like many of his opening ideas: https://www.chessgames.com/player/lawrence_day.html

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

Lawrence has posted his games online and the computer doesn't like many of his opening ideas: https://www.chessgames.com/player/lawrence_day.html
      That is okay. The computer also does not like a lot of the opening ideas Magnus plays. Luckily, like Magnus he is playing against humans. Lawrence, followed in Suttles and Bohatrichuk's
      foot steps, but soon became the leader in 'Canadian' chess style. Growing up, it seemed everyone played the 'Rat' as black in Canada. Lawrence played many great games with original ideas, but also was very strong in endgames especially rook and pawn endgames.

Comment

I'm also really looking forward to that book!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

That is okay. The computer also does not like a lot of the opening ideas Magnus plays. Luckily, like Magnus he is playing against humans. Lawrence, followed in Suttles and Bohatrichuk's
          foot steps, but soon became the leader in 'Canadian' chess style. Growing up, it seemed everyone played the 'Rat' as black in Canada. Lawrence played many great games with original ideas, but also was very strong in endgames especially rook and pawn endgames.
          Hi Ian,

Maybe you have this game...or Hugh Brodie:

Lawrence against Camille Coudari at the Pan Am held at McGill in Montreal in the 70's...it was a strange one :)

I had it but I can not find it anymore...HELP :)

Larry

Comment

Concerning Larry's post: 'The Pan Am held at McGill in Montreal in the 1970s' -- this tournament was actually held at McGill at the end of 1969 -- see wikipedia.org, 'Pan American Intercollegiate Team Chess Championship' article, much of which I wrote.
            I also recall playing through that game, from the Carleton vs McGill match, I believe, and, yes, it was an interesting one, to say the least, but I also don't have the game score now.
            Larry, you may be able to get this game by contacting the USCF, College Chess coordinator. They have some games collections from older Pan Am events. Perhaps IM Coudari has it!

Comment

here you go...

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1582098

coudari_day_1969.pgn

Comment

There are 10 games total, not sure which one you're looking for, also PGN files can be downloaded from this site.

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/ches...419&pid2=16101

Comment

I'm out of town right now but look at CanBase http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/players.htm

Comment

I don't have a Coudari-Day game in my database from the 1969 North American Intercollegiate in Montreal (in which I played). I have one unlabelled game from 1969 in which Coudari won (as White) in 29 moves. It's the one Bernie posted. However - that game denotes round 15 - so I suspect it's from the Canadian Closed 1969, with at least one of the players' names being incorrect. (their game in the Closed was a draw).

Comment

I e-mailed Lawrence Day and asked him a couple of questions.
                      His replies are below.

Nobody knows about the potential games/bio book including me. My muse is
                      capricious to say the least. For better or worse we seem to be living in
                      interesting times which is rather distracting from the introspective
                      concentration necessary to produce a good autobiography.

But regarding the mysterious Coudari-Day (Caro-Kann 1969 1-0) it was a
                      10-minute (7 maybe) from an event organized on the free day at the Pointe
                      Claire Canadian Closed Championship. In the slow game we drew a closed
                      Sicilian without much adventure. Confusing the games, some later reports
                      even changed the official cross-table magnifying the error as in from
                      small potatoes to BIG POTATOES.

This was a resonant experience for me as Dr. Bohatirchuk had suggested in
                      1967 that when in New York I could visit the Public Library and take the
                      opportunity to verify for myself in the archives via old chess columns
                      that actual history had been revised to erase accomplishments as he was a
                      political "persona non grata". Indeed he had been Soviet Champion (circa
                      1927-8?), for what it's worth.

I don't recall Carleton paired against McGill in the
                      1969-Pan-Americans but I certainly recall Camille's awesome
                      form---something like 8-0 with openings like 1.e4 e5 2.c4 and defences
                      like 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Bd6. Also a terrific 3-foot snow fall for
                      which southern students had come unprepared for leaving the hotel.
                      Inoubliable
                      (Typo?-jkm) it was.

Comment

"Inoubliable" is French for "unforgettable".

Also - the 1969 Pan-Am Intercollegiate was an individual event, with the top four (I think) scores counting for the team title. It alternated between individual and a "true" team event for some years.
                        Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Sunday, 29th December, 2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Lawrence, if you read this, let me know. Would love to be involved. Let me know.

Comment

I think we do need a Lawrence Day bio - the sooner the better. I for one would buy several copies.

Comment

Working...
                            X